pocket bushcrafter im working on

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Well what are you waiting for?!? Looks a winner to me

i need to order in the materials, at the moment im using stainless liners and some black linen micarta. hoping to get brass liners as well and other colors in micarta and g10.
leather or kydex belt pouches could also be an option?

i invest quite a lot of time and effort into the heat treat, have a temperature controllable propane forge which will hold + or -1 degree c i use anti scale compound on all blades, even though not stricly needed with stock removal i like to give the blades a normalizing cycle to reduce stress followed with a gentle pre heat before bringing to austinizing temperature which depends on thickness between 790 and 810c and soaking for up to (again depending on thickness) 25 minutes and finished with a triple temper... its what my red dot makers mark symbolizes... the hidden spirit of the blade that only the creator see's but knows its there...in short... "a proper job!";)

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
Looks like a really well designed knife but personally I'm not wild about friction folders.

......make a version of that that locks and you'll have a huge market for it I'm sure.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Looks like a really well designed knife but personally I'm not wild about friction folders.

......make a version of that that locks and you'll have a huge market for it I'm sure.

thanks, this prototype has a 3mm hole in the blade tang and now the handle that a pin can be inserted to lock the blade if needed. im using PTFE washers which allow you to tighten up quite hard and get that firm smooth action. once you get used to using it its not bad... and with a simple 3mm pin inserted locking the blade its like a fixed blade albeit not quite as robust as a fixed blade. whether you choose to use a locking pin or not be aware that carrying it in a public place with said locking pin would be illegal i can make them with or without that feature

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
i invest quite a lot of time and effort into the heat treat, have a temperature controllable propane forge which will hold + or -1 degree c i use anti scale compound on all blades, even though not stricly needed with stock removal i like to give the blades a normalizing cycle to reduce stress followed with a gentle pre heat before bringing to austinizing temperature which depends on thickness between 790 and 810c and soaking for up to (again depending on thickness) 25 minutes and finished with a triple temper... its what my red dot makers mark symbolizes... the hidden spirit of the blade that only the creator see's but knows its there...in short... "a proper job!";)

I wanna buy one now :D

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
thanks, this prototype has a 3mm hole in the blade tang and now the handle that a pin can be inserted to lock the blade if needed. im using PTFE washers which allow you to tighten up quite hard and get that firm smooth action. once you get used to using it its not bad... and with a simple 3mm pin inserted locking the blade its like a fixed blade albeit not quite as robust as a fixed blade. whether you choose to use a locking pin or not be aware that carrying it in a public place with said locking pin would be illegal i can make them with or without that feature

I did spot the hole and thought that you could easily make this lock but didn't think I'd raise the issue because clearly in terms of carrying one; one minute it's a legal carry and the next it isn't. As long as owners understand that I don't see any problem with it. As I said it's a very nice knife.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
I did spot the hole and thought that you could easily make this lock but didn't think I'd raise the issue because clearly in terms of carrying one; one minute it's a legal carry and the next it isn't. As long as owners understand that I don't see any problem with it. As I said it's a very nice knife.

thanks i understand, its not something i particularly wanted to advertise and as long as the knife isnt carried with a locking pin (it wont be supplied with one) its and edc legal knife... if you find yourself in a situation where your lost, tired?.... the hole is/could be there, its up to the user if they decide to utilize it as a safety feature... this one is a working prototype not a production model, whether i put holes in those? i dont want to be breaking any law.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Its a fine looking knife Mark, but i can't see what you are worried about, you make & sell some fine fixed blade knives, so surely its buyer beware, & i think you should offer the option of a locking pin, to be purchased seperately.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE