Knives breaking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Blimey. Prying a nail out of a bit of wood maybe? First attempt to the right of the missing chunk?

Maybe not. I have done much the same to an Anssi 125 blade which I had handled / sheathed in a scandi style. What was I doing? Using a chopping action when gathering some green 2 year old bamboo stems for arrow making. Just like the photo that Brancho posted, I managed to roll a fair bit of the edge, and broke away a small section. I was pretty distraught as it was the first 'good' knife work that I had done. In the end I reground the blade extensively, including taking the rather thin point down to a more rounded profile. The knife is still in use, but rather different from when it was first completed.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have had a mora snap at the handle. Tang failure. This knife wasn't being misused.

Several students have broken handles.

Roger Linger Bushcraft knife S30V turned into a saw blade by friend using the sharp edge to create sparks on a fire steel.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Maybe not. I have done much the same to an Anssi 125 blade which I had handled / sheathed in a scandi style. What was I doing? Using a chopping action when gathering some green 2 year old bamboo stems for arrow making. Just like the photo that Brancho posted, I managed to roll a fair bit of the edge, and broke away a small section. I was pretty distraught as it was the first 'good' knife work that I had done. In the end I reground the blade extensively, including taking the rather thin point down to a more rounded profile. The knife is still in use, but rather different from when it was first completed.

The guy who had the knife said he was chopping through a piece of wood.

I built him a new knife on a replacement blade. I then reground the knife and rehandled it for my Scouts to use as a wood splitter and they have usede it for 3 years battoning it through anything they find.

The Splitter 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Saw a Mora being battened with snap when making spoons. Wood was sycamore, very straight grained. It was relatively new knife, was very surprised.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have never broken a knife. I have had one delaminate (replaced pdq by the company, their weld failed, not my damage)
I have had two other folks break my knives though :sigh:
A blacksmith made little forged iron blade I used for Iron Age stuff, and the tip off an opinel by an idiot on a dig.

If a Mora breaks when battening it's the technique that's at fault not the knife. You can only hit it as hard as you can keep it stable; if it springs it'll snap.

M

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Had a Mora handle break off which I did not see but was probably bad battoning technique and a flaw in the plastic moulding process

I made the blade into this which the Scouts are happy to use

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have deliberately busted the handles off several Moras and Hults knives - just to make nice wooden handled versions like that :)
They look loads better and (as long as the cost of my time is not factored in) are still cheap "users"

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Only broke the tip of the non serrated knife on the original leatherman supertool... Misuse trying to widen a hole on some aluminium.... Whole tool replaced by Leatherman

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dropped my favorite Gerber multi tool off a set of high ladders and broke the blade.
Besides that I lost my Rob Evs Bushtool in a wet woodland for a year but luckily enough Rob sorted it for me.

Chipped the odd axe on buried fencing nails.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Only broke the tip of the non serrated knife on the original leatherman supertool... Misuse trying to widen a hole on some aluminium.... Whole tool replaced by Leatherman
Really? Broken the tip on my Leatherman Juice main blade. Just carried on using it. Did you have to post it back or something? Not sure I would actually want to swap it out (was a gift from my brother and it's battered but still incredibly useful, so some sentimental value now) but interested in the process. Also somewhat reassured that the money they take goes into a decent warranty by the sounds of it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Several bits of my leatherman which shouldn't break broke though nothing other than opening them. The metal shows a crystalline edge which I've seen on poor quality metal before.

Can't remember exactly what bits they were... I'll dig it out probably just before the moot - but did wonder if they'd take it back now it's been ritually soaked in my blood from the moot two years ago.

It did happen post accident not pre!

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Honestly Alf, that's a result :D

M

Thanks Toddy the Scouts seem to like it.

I have deliberately busted the handles off several Moras and Hults knives - just to make nice wooden handled versions like that :)
They look loads better and (as long as the cost of my time is not factored in) are still cheap "users"

I have too John

Very much in agreement with what Toddy said.
goodjob

rorymax

Thanks

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Had a filleting knife snap on me today went where the rope cutter is tackle shop replaced it no questions most of had a crack as it was not all clean metal through the break

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE