Will your day pack save your life??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
With Bear Grylls you stay in nice hotels but with Ray you sleep rough and get mosquito bitten.
:)

i daresay most members of this forum would say "no" to a drink offered by B.G. but say "yes" if Ray Mears offered one
( i should stop taking the p*** out of people :evilangel: )

i realized today i forgot one important item on my list in post #30: a piece of orange marker tape in my edc shoulder bag. Very ​helpful if you decide to hang your gear into a tree and wander off to cut bamboo and it starts to get dark and foggy....

and a mini strobe light might be a good addition (have'nt found one yet....) to locate your camp in the dark when you wander off to get water and your fire burns down......

you may guess how i come to know that....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I too am in the habit of taking my small daypack with me almost every time I go away from the house or car. Apart from anything I might need, (and often have needed), I couldn't count the number of times I've been called upon to come to the help of others.

Yup, it's "Be Prepared" ethos for me!

Couldn't agree more. Funny how those who think I'm over-equipped seem to be the ones who usually need something from my EDC.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
i daresay most members of this forum would say "no" to a drink offered by B.G. but say "yes" if Ray Mears offered one
( i should stop taking the p*** out of people :evilangel: )

i realized today i forgot one important item on my list in post #30: a piece of orange marker tape in my edc shoulder bag. Very ​helpful if you decide to hang your gear into a tree and wander off to cut bamboo and it starts to get dark and foggy....

and a mini strobe light might be a good addition (have'nt found one yet....) to locate your camp in the dark when you wander off to get water and your fire burns down......

you may guess how i come to know that....:rolleyes:

A flashing rear red light from a bicycle would serve you well for that purpose, eh?

bearbait

One's GF has asked that she may add to this discussion with her thoughts on the contents of her daypack. So here goes...

Will Your Daypack Save Your Life?
I’ve read through previous posts on here and I thought you may be interested in what I take to see me through the rigours of wandering up a hill. Will it save my life? Maybe........you judge.

The awesome bit of kit that I carry all the stuff in is the Trespass Shocking Pink Tactical Back Pack Mini For Her.

Most of you will recognise the value of this as it’s a proven, reliable soldier out there. Here’s my tip: I found that a good habit to get into is to zip up the compartments and carry it the right way up. So many hikes have come to grief when your stuff is strewn by your car whilst you’ve happily walked away, possibly assessing clouds. Yeh, we’ve all done that, I know. Unladen weight by the way is 5 ounces and somewhere similar in grammes, probably. Yup, I know, on the heavy side for a lightweight pack but it’s all about toughness out there. Am I right? Of course I am. So here is a picture of the beast:

attachment.php

I’ve used a small perfume bottle to give it scale. You’ll all recognise the make etc. guys. Another thing to consider is the colour of the pack and I think I made the right choice; after all it’s important to be spotted if in a difficult situation - like when it’s at the bottom of the wardrobe.

I’ve looked longish and hardish at what you need in your day pack and this is my list - in different terrains and altitudes you would obviously add or subtract stuff. Well, actually, don’t subtract anything at all because it’s about survival and I really need all this on a daily basis.

1. Boots Floral Tissues (4 Ply) - The commando of floral tissues - will withstand whatever your nose or cosmetics throw at them and still come back for more. No need to think about sphagnum moss. Ever.

attachment.php

2. Basic Cosmetics - Soap & Glory Lip Gloss, Rimmel Extra 3D Lash Mascara and an unknown brand of kohl eyeliner. Took these bad boys up Hay Bluff recently on a hike hilariously described as "gentle" by the gentleman. In high winds and high altitudes they provided me with the comfort of knowing that when the Mountain Rescue guys finally arrived to end my agony, they would be faced with kissable lips and come to bed eyes. I think everyone on here will recognise the survival instinct that courses strongly through my veins. Those guys may have to carry me after all. You shouldn’t consider the cosmetics a purchase: they’re an investment.

attachment.php

3. iPhone 5 - hardly need to say why this is such a valuable bit of kit. Who else is going to take the selfie at the top? Duh!

4. Mirror - Yes, essential - see #2 above.

attachment.php

5. Money/Credit Cards/Body Shop Loyalty Card - I will use anything to get a taxi, scrape mud off my boots, bribe other hikers or small children, whatever. Survival is the name of my game. And ingenuity.

And errrm, that’s about it for me. Comprehensive? I think so.

attachment.php

You may consider that I travel a little light. Well, the gentleman doesn’t - you’ve seen his list that also accompanied us up Hay Bluff. Whose backpack got opened and items used? Mine of course. Oh, except when he lent me his windproof jackety thing - it was bloody cold and apparently I was woefully unprepared for the rather surprising onset of winter in those high Alpen passes in wildest Black Mountain shire. Oh yes, and when he checked some piece of technology to determine that we’d actually walked like a real kilometre or something. Tough hikes for tough people.

Blondie

"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE