axe restoring the edge shape

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Hi, got some old axes that I'm retoring. The bit edges of some are terrible and the original arc shape has gone - like they are flattened or too curved. I saw an article somehwere showing you how to re-draw the correct arc before filing/grinding it and it used a pair of compasses but I can't find it. Any advice please on how to work out the correct shape. Thanks

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The correct shape depends on the use - and is partly a matter of taste. So I'm not sure there can be hard and fast rules about drawing it.

I'd draw a shape that looks 'right' to you, using a sharpie, then grind or file to that. The harder part is making sure you get the bevels right (assuming you want them to be symmetrical.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Take a pencil and a ruler draw two lines diagonally on the side of the handle hole using the ends of it as start points push a punch where the diagonals cross each other take two nails and string , attach nails on string on both sides , put one on the place where diagonals meet and other use to draw a small line with it on the blade side to get an arc and even cut. I hope you get what I said in this grammatically terrible text written by me :D

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am sure it depends on the intended timber and usage?
An axe used to split wood should be different from one used to whittle snd such fine work?
Or am I wrong?

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
The shape of the axe edge is dependent on purpose, regional variation and so on - some have pretty extreme curves that allow the center portion to bite deep, others are completely straight. Wranglerstar on Youtube did a video about the method I assume you're referring to, but IMO it's pretty arbitrary. If you posted a picture and stated what you wanted to use it for, I'm sure somebody here could help you out, though!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Reprofiling an axe is very personal to get a cutting edge you are happy with I'd for most of us a lifetime quest. Lots of experiments with blade length weight and edge geometry and I'm still looking.

The primary focus must be on what you want to acheive and to ensure you do not change the temper of the axe.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Agree with the last two posts above 100%

Op, lets have a look at them and tell us what you want them for......but really and truely, if you are an experianced axe user and are confidant about grinding them, just eyeball it
British red did an extremely well written post about axe sharpening on here once, anyone know how to find it?

Where is BR anyway, does he just do his blog/website now?

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Thanks guys, sorry for being slow to reply, been a busy week. Basically thought they are mostly just small chopping axes. I don't have a specific purpose for them yet as I already have a few axes that I use. It's more a case of bringing a sad old rusty axe head back to life for the pleasure of doing it and putting it back into service. I might eventually sell them on, dunno yet. So as for purpose I guess just general useage for trimming small branches off, pointing up small stakes, chopping kindling for the fire either in the woods or at home for the wood burner etc. I am aware of not using fast running grinders that will destroy the temper. I am reasonably good with a file, sharpening stones and strops etc so the advice I need is mainly about reshaping a well worn edge. Some have been badly abused and are worn more on one edge where they have hit hard surfaces etc or just wrongly sharpened in the past. I'll try to get some photos on here.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
First apologies for such big photos but don't know how to make them smaller. This small Kent pattern one is badly beaten up on the bit edge and needs a lot of re-profiling. It's especially worn on the top corner.

28293420346_2cde223ca9_k.jpg

Last edited:

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Here are two more small Kent patterns. I've treated then with white vinegar to remove rust and now need sharpening. You can see the arc of the edges are not uniform and worn more on one side. If I lay them together it's obvious how bad one of them is out of shape.

28327495005_ea327eaac3_k.jpg

27711315724_9a46ffa048_k.jpg

Last edited:

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
This is an odd one. Look at the weird triangular shaped eye. I like the shape of the head and might like to cut some material away to make a bearded type axe.

28223829982_ea357f4216_k.jpg

28249140041_248d80fb03_k.jpg

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Finally it's Little and Large. The big one is an American felling axe weighing about 5lb and the small one is only about 3.4 lb Thanks for looking.

28293453526_40b0aff019_k.jpg

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Nothing too bad there. I'd just grind them back by eye if it were me

That last one is a strange one, has the eye been formed by wrapping around something triangular and then welded back to the bit?
Also, i'd say its upside down in the pic :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE