Firelighting with yucca

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
I haven't really posted much about the desert since moving here. I went for a while thinking it was just about the most inhospitable environment possible, but research told me I was wrong! Yucca is a marvelous plant - the root is edible, the stalk is edible when young, then the flowers are edible and then the fruit is edible. Even after the fruit dries up, the seeds can be made into a flour (I haven't tried it myself!). The leaves can also be fashioned into makeshift sewing needles or cordage can be processed from the fibers in the leaf. The leaves are VERY pointy (drew blood from my buddy as he accidentally backed into a smaller one!) and could easily take an eye on these taller ones as you try to harvest stalk or fruit. Disclaimer: I don't know if that's true of all yucca, as I know it grows in many places. So research before you eat!

After the yucca has borne its fruit, the stalk dries up and falls off, growing a new stalk each year. The stalk is extremely light (somewhat like balsa) but surprisingly hard - quite brittle, though. And when I say dry up, I mean it is bone dry very quickly! Last night I went out with a buddy and harvested a piece of yucca.

yucca.jpg

The tall one in the center is a huge one - all tolled, probably in the region of 15ft high and the stalk was almost 2" thick. Most of the ones around here are not that big and it was still green with fruit - I didn't want to cull the biggest in the herd and I wanted a dry one, so I took the dead stalk lying at 45 degrees in the bottom right. It was bone dry. I chopped it off with my new Condor parang, which is a monster!

Since it was late at night and pitch black, I took it home to play with today. This is what I took home after trimming the branches and thin end:
yucca2.jpg

This is a modest size, but plenty large enough for my needs. I made a drill out of the thin end and split down part of the thicker end to make a hearth.

yucca3.jpg

Glorious fire! This thing goes really, really easily.

yucca4.jpg

I didn't catch the flames while they were going, but it also takes sparks from a firesteel very easily and goes up like a shot, so you have to keep more tinder ready. The wood is quite brittle as I said, so the feathers are fragile and not very curly.

It might be almost 40C but I do love the desert sometimes :D

Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
1st nations people don't live in hostile environments. Only in European culture was the west ever wild.

I don't doubt that, but coming to the desert from Scotland was a frightening shift nonetheless (particularly because I didn't choose to come here) :) It has taken some time to feel at home in the outdoors here, though it is coming along. Water remains my greatest concern, but my area is much better for that than some desert areas.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
European colonists had no idea at all about how to behave and act in North America.
What could they say in defense? The place is wild.
And we're so totally friggin' unprepared to cope with it that we had better smash and crush any possible opposition.

I guess those Apaches who used the desert as their home would have known the location of every water hole, spring, or root/plant containing water or whatever, in much the same way as my English friend said australian aborigines did in his trips with them. Like us they'd know what and how to look for things that were important to their existence in the desert.

I guess the climate is rather different from Scotland....;-)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Thanks. I spent 5 years stationed in Las Vegas in the Mojave Desert not far from you.
Cool, that's a desert I'd like to get out to as well!

I guess those Apaches who used the desert as their home would have known the location of every water hole, spring, or root/plant containing water or whatever, in much the same way as my English friend said australian aborigines did in his trips with them. Like us they'd know what and how to look for things that were important to their existence in the desert.

Living here has certainly given me immense respect for people who made this their home without the convenience of modern technology. As I say to my friends born here, where I come from so much water falls from the sky you start to get sick of it even when you are thirsty!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire

Which Apache though?

Like those Australian Aborigines, they all had their own identities... and much like now, a person of England could be proud to hail from the county of Devon, or equally could celebrate being from County Durham. Two different peoples from the same nation, but geographically and culturally world's apart... both with very different skill sets.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the OP; I wasn't aware of all the parts that could be eaten or used. The only bit I've eaten personally is the root. It's sold in the grocery stores here fairly often.

fresh-vegetables-3.jpg

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I wonder how the stalk would look like when cut, stabilized and polished?
I've wondered too, but I think it would be rather bland - the wood is plain with no real grain to show. It might make a good improvised handle, but I'm not sure how it would hold up.

Thanks for the OP; I wasn't aware of all the parts that could be eaten or used. The only bit I've eaten personally is the root. It's sold in the grocery stores here fairly often.

fresh-vegetables-3.jpg

I may be wrong, but I believe that's cassava or yuca, rather than yucca - it's frequently spelled the same but is a different plant. Yucca grows quite slowly, so I'd imagine it being a fairly poor crop! PS: I have thought about trying it though, I need more variation in my root-consumption! Did you like it?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've wondered too, but I think it would be rather bland - the wood is plain with no real grain to show. It might make a good improvised handle, but I'm not sure how it would hold up.

I may be wrong, but I believe that's cassava or yuca, rather than yucca - it's frequently spelled the same but is a different plant. Yucca grows quite slowly, so I'd imagine it being a fairly poor crop! PS: I have thought about trying it though, I need more variation in my root-consumption! Did you like it?

I believe you're right. Sorry about the mix-up; I was fixating on the name.

Yeah, it makes a good substitute for potatoes and can be cooked in just about any way potatoes can be cooked. Doing some research on it shows I was also wrong when I said the root was the only part I'd personally eaten. It appears that napolitos come from the same cactus and so does cactus fruit. I HAVE eaten naplitos (a very good substitute for either green beans or bell peppers) but NOT yet been able to try the fruit.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I yhink that is Prickly Pear cactus you refer to, Santa?

The fruit you can buy in dupermarkets is dry and tasteless.
Matuted on the bush, it os sweet and Juicier. Difficult to pick, of course.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I yhink that is Prickly Pear cactus you refer to, Santa?

The fruit you can buy in dupermarkets is dry and tasteless.
Matuted on the bush, it os sweet and Juicier. Difficult to pick, of course.

Yeah. Apparently it has several names.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I used to harvest them in Spain and Italy. Nice and thirst quenching.
Tried to grow it here in my garden, but the damn iguanas love to eat the leaves. They just leave the spikes on the ground.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I used to harvest them in Spain and Italy. Nice and thirst quenching.
Tried to grow it here in my garden, but the damn iguanas love to eat the leaves. They just leave the spikes on the ground.

Did you ever harvest the leaves? That's the source of the napalitos.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nopalitos are made from the skinned cactus leaf pads of Opuntia sp. I like a little cinnamon & brown sugar on them.
The fresh fruits are electric purple inside, sweet and distinctively tasting. To me, like very strong watermelon.

Huh. I can remember Mom teaching us how to burn off the prickles by spearing the fruit with a fork and using a candle flame.
Ugh! That's gotta be 60+ years. I'm so old I think this calls for a nap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE