heavy metals in water filtration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@unit392 : The specific agent shown contains more than a flocculant. It has Calcium hypochlorite. This acts in water by releasing chlorine, which acts as a disinfectant to kill bacteria and viruses. In that process, the water becomes alkaline with a high concentration of OH_ ions. These precipitate (some) of the heavy metals as hydroxides, which are gathered in the flocs for easier removal/filtration. Arsenic is also removed by flocculation using ferrous sulphate see: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ing_water_by_flocculation_and_microfiltration The higher alkalinity brought about by the hypochlorite contributes to the efficacy.

There are many other papers that you can peruse. IMO,the summary given in the CDC paper cited in my earlier post suffice. The CDC is not in the habit of producing unresearched and dubious findings.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I happen to be a chemist, and would be interested if you could use a chelating agent such as ethylene-diamine-tetra-acetic-acid (EDTA) to remove heavy metals such as lead and (not as sure about silver) from water before treating it as you would any dirty water.. Just a thought and probably not too helpful-

All the best
Lewis

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Also a chemist. Perhaps easier to precipitate as a hydroxide, and use the flocculant to collect the precipitates. The success of the P&G packs in villages in third world communities has been quite remarkable in creating a limited volume water purification and sterilization system that can easily be used after minimal training.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I happen to be a chemist, and would be interested if you could use a chelating agent such as ethylene-diamine-tetra-acetic-acid (EDTA) to remove heavy metals such as lead and (not as sure about silver) from water before treating it as you would any dirty water.. Just a thought and probably not too helpful-

All the best
Lewis

Also a chemist. Perhaps easier to precipitate as a hydroxide, and use the flocculant to collect the precipitates. The success of the P&G packs in villages in third world communities has been quite remarkable in creating a limited volume water purification and sterilization system that can easily be used after minimal training.

You might want to be sure you're both using the same definition for "chemist." When I was in the UK it also was used to describe a pharmacist.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Personally I wouldn't be that worried about it, the quantity of lead or silver you are likely to ingest in the time you are "wild camping" is going to be so minute that it is negligible to what damage it would do...

People used to worry about lead pipe, but they forget that the likelihood of absorbing sufficient lead from a pipe to be deemed toxic is difficult unless the whole system is lead and the water particularly acidic to strip the lining off the pipe, the build up on the inside of the pipe was regularly enough to stop lead particles being stripped to such an extent to cause any issues...

As others have commented already it might be worth looking for a source above the possible contamination if you are that concerned about the chances of absorbing huge quantities of contaminants, alternatively you could try getting the water tested prior to using the area, get a sample of the water and send it to your local labs to find out how high the solution is contaminated.

Aug 31, 2009
Sevenoaks, Kent
I did not think that Silver was dangerous to ingest in trace amounts? Even huge doses do not kill although they may turn you into a smurf .. see Argyria.

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
Sawyer may have something for you next year,
13902823_1058980184155576_1312812671181495477_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/SawyerProducts/?fref=nf

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Judging by the info on the picture, S3 will be the choice for most that use this sort of thing...
Sawyer do make excellent kit!

As mentioned before in a previous post , there's a British company with a proven track record, good client base and very reasonable price tag , selling what the OP was looking for...

metals is also on the contaminant list targeted by this system.

http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/products.php

https://youtu.be/YPwFmkDQ_iI

https://youtu.be/Oxa_RZaONsY

At less than £20 for a replacement filter cartridge, 1600 litres ( !!! ) of purified water per cartridge and auto shutdown mechanism to be foolproof ...is a no brainer.

Works for me, and we have drank out of rivers , canal and ponds ...
Taste and odours removed as well.

No relation to the company Just a happy customer...

PS-
Oh and its British
:)

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Same here Leshy. I used it last night from a water source that when I saw it this morning in the daylight, well, let's say if I'd seen how grim it was last night I'd have found somewhere else to drink from!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Same here Leshy. I used it last night from a water source that when I saw it this morning in the daylight, well, let's say if I'd seen how grim it was last night I'd have found somewhere else to drink from!
I know mate, it's possibly the best bit of kit I own...
I have drank from stinky stagnant waters too (canal) and just put it through a millbank bag just to sift out the sediment to prolong the filters lifespan...
It's a life saver and affordable, no wonder our MOD issues it.
👍

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE