Disappointed DD TARP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Bought a DD tarp off someone on this forum described as great condition, just got round to using it and found that 6 of the timeouts have been cut off. Not sure why someone would cut them off? Three off one side and another three off the adjacent side. :(

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Did you talk to the seller?

I'm really new but maybe best to try to sort this out privately before coming public...

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Its the multi cam one yes, seems strange that they would do that rather than stop selling them the bad says 19 tie outs

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Did you talk to the seller?

I'm really new but maybe best to try to sort this out privately before coming public...
Not spoke to the seller as it was some time ago and they where proberly unaware as they had a few for sale. It was more a question as to why it had been done but I think someone has just answered that

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Its the multi cam one yes, seems strange that they would do that rather than stop selling them the bad says 19 tie outs

They did it because the material used to make them turned out to be an inferior quality and as I said the tarp ripped along the side tie outs when under tension.

The only way to stop that happening was to remove those tie outs. They then sold the tarps as seconds which the person who sold it to you failed to mention...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
They did it because the material used to make them turned out to be an inferior quality and as I said the tarp ripped along the side tie outs when under tension.

The only way to stop that happening was to remove those tie outs. They then sold the tarps as seconds which the person who sold it to you failed to mention...

Yup, i'v got one here from that batch

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I wasn't trying to admonish..

It does sound like the seller pulled a bit of a fast one if he failed to mention they were seconds.
Last thing anyone wants is a tarp with a known design flaw.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Sounds it think he was selling a few bits got a Dutch water bottle at the same time.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
it was a good while ago, the bloke was selling a load of stuff. Felt a bit like a shop closing down

I only wanted it for screening or pitching flat as a group shelter type thing so the missing tabs never bothered me

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
So, you aren't disappointed in DD tarps, but in a second hand item which was delivered damaged or was given the wrong description by the seller. Check ;)

sandbag47

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 12, 2007
northampton
So, you aren't disappointed in DD tarps, but in a second hand item which was delivered damaged or was given the wrong description by the seller. Check ;)

Hi IC_Rafe,

In DD's defense at the time it was a big issue.
They didn't know the camo tarps were faulty when selling them.
Not until people got in touch with them or put threads up on here.
DD did do something about it sending out new camo tarps or repaying the customers to make amends.
They did cut of the missing loops to stop the tarps from tearing and sold cheaper as such.

It took a while for DD to find out what was wrong with the camo trarps.
It was the the fault of the material supplier who supplied the wrong material for the tarps.
Said supplier is no longer used by DD.

I still have one of these camo tarps and it still works ok ..But I never connect it to the offending loops

Below is a link to the last thread I did on the new MC tarp (which there are no problems with).
Which I put a bit in about the old camo tarp (which i have basically said here)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139710

sandbag47

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I understand this. Just wanted to write it down for people who would be interested in buying a DD tarp, but who would take the title or post as a problem with DD tarps in general. Sure faults can happen, and they solved the issue in the best way possible in my opinion: recall/replace and repair the faulty pieces and sell it at a discount with the notice that it was a faulty item which has been repaired ;). The problem here is a reseller who didn't give that information, which isn't an issue with DD. (If they hadn't done the correct thing, and they sold the tarp without any mention of the defect, then DD would definately be to blame and the complaint would be very valid ;) )

I have the superlight tarp and am very pleased with it too.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi IC_Rafe,

DD did do something about it sending out new camo tarps or repaying the customers to make amends.

sandbag47

Hi IC
Just plane and simple false advertising, my mate bought one, and got a tarp with no loops down 2 sides, and DD did nothing for my pal as far as compensation goes, what a burn...
Me, I wouldn't buy any DD product now.

Last edited:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
simple false advertising
By whom? If some had got a batch at reduced rate from DD and then sold on at normal price, I would say the issue is with the seller not DD. DD sold some of these tarps as seconds as I understand, should these be resold on as normal stock the false advertising is not of DD's making. I also understand that it's own direct customers where sorted by DD them self.

I am a huge fan of DD having 4 hammocks and 4 tarps over the years. The early tarps must be 10 years old now as see service as motorbike covers. The 4m x 4m one is my idea of heaven.

Mr. F

May 2, 2012
Coaley, Gloucestershire
I've been an avid DD fan for several years now.

However, recently I bought 15 3x3 tarps for my Scout troop and 6 of these had no lines of pegs and 2 of them had "Second" written across them in permanent marker. No replacement parts or tarps as yet.

Not terribly impressed really.

sandbag47

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hi IC
Just plane and simple false advertising, my mate bought one, and got a tarp with no loops down 2 sides, and DD did nothing for my pal as far as compensation goes, what a burn...
Me, I wouldn't buy any DD product now.

Err yea.
The folks who brought the tarps that tore got the replacement and such. Not after the loops were removed.

It was a quite a few years ago .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE