Summer shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Floki

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2016
Slovenia
Hi all, im looking for a good pair of summer shoes, i usually take my boots, but my feet always come out soaking wet, so im looking for something breathable and lightweight. Ive heard some good rumors and some bad ones about toe shoes (i'll include a pic below), but im not sure how i feel about them? Any experience with them?

Cheers Floki

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
Don't order them in Norfolk. They'll come with the wrong number of toes! :)

I'll get my coat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
May I hazard to recommend Palladium boots, and their inspiration, the French (AFAIK, also often listed as Israeli) (now surplus) desert army boots.

I don't have experience with the originals but I have a Quechua version that continue to serve well as my hot weather boot. Unlined cotton so breaths very well, the rubber toe box is enough protection for your bottom digits, they're light, and because they're boots no troublesome stones to magic into your shoe.

As for 5fingers and suchlike, I think a correctly chosen shoe that allows space to naturally splay your toes is going to be as good for your feet and also afford you the flexibility of wearing socks and using it in colder weather. You can get 'toe socks' (I own a pair I bought in Japan as tourist tat) but they're a pain in themselves (too many stitching lines on mine).

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Can I suggest you go for a walking or approach shoe without a goretex lining. Yes you may get wet feet if you jump in a stream, but your feet will dry out very quickly.

J

May I hazard to recommend Palladium boots, and their inspiration, the French (AFAIK, also often listed as Israeli) (now surplus) desert army boots.

I don't have experience with the originals but I have a Quechua version that continue to serve well as my hot weather boot. Unlined cotton so breaths very well, the rubber toe box is enough protection for your bottom digits, they're light, and because they're boots no troublesome stones to magic into your shoe.

how good is the quality of them?!
(== i had a quick look t their website and there's also a nylon version which should work as a jungle boot or for other wet/humid conditions...)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
how good is the quality of them?!
(== i had a quick look t their website and there's also a nylon version which should work as a jungle boot or for other wet/humid conditions...)

Mine are starting to go after 3-4 summers use. I've worn them a lot - hiking in the pyrenees, as a kitchen shoe at work, even as a skating shoe, and the only thing I needed was a pair of boot insoles with some arch support. I'm definitely buying another pair when these give up the ghost.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
i didnt get on the thw five-finger jobbies. but i needed a lightweight pair of spare trail shoes for a jungle exped, so i went for these instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KZOBJAG/ref=twister_B01BW1URV2

I must say, they are brilliant. good from walking the side streets in urban areas, to bathing in a jungle river. super light, loads of toe room and they dry really quickly. i used them every day in malaysia and back in the uk afterwards. still got them, two years later, and they look good as new. cheaper than five-fingers to, if u shop around!

Floki

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2016
Slovenia
A bit of an update on the summer shoes. Ive decided on a Vibram Fivefingers Shoes, ive got a great bargain on them. They fit very well and are extremely breathable and flexible. The only thing i recommend is if you plan on buying them and can't try them on first go for a one lower number then your original foot size :)

Cheers Floki

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE