First and hopefully last compass?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Hi all,

I've spent some time in the forums looking for information on compasses and have found some great threads but then get all confused when googling makes and models of specific recommendations.
I'm guessing names and designations change quite quickly in the world of compasses, or I'm much worse at google than I thought.

I've used compasses before (a lifetime ago as a teen) and understand the basics of taking a bearing etc. but wanted to learn more and to go out and do some practicing.

My budget is £20 and I'm not expecting to go on any expeditions but it would be nice to be able to pinpoint my location on my OS maps.

I've been looking at sighting compasses with a mirror as it's "easier to take an accurate bearing from" and also it'd probably be good to have a backup mirror in my pack.

My first question is - Is this any good?

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Silva-Ranger-S-Sighting-Mirror-Compass/31-4770

Followed by - Anyone recommend anything different (same-ish price bracket)?
Also Am I missing something and should go for a different style compass as my first and preferably last model?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Ken.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I much prefer to use a sighting compass, but it is just a preference; I can perfectly comfortably use any of them and unless you're going to be going on an expedition where the type of compass is critical for some reason you'll do just as well with whichever type takes your fancy. Some folk seem to feel the need to have a plate compass laid flat on a map sheet to be comfortable, but I never have.

I've used the Silva you link to and it's a perfectly fine tool; looked after, there's no reason it shouldn't last you for a very long time. And that's a decent price for it.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The only brands i would trust (out of what I've used) for a baseplate compass are Silva as above, sunnto or recta. All of these have been excellent quality. I really like the sunnto i have now, but cant remember the model of it.

Tonyuk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have been using Silva both in service and privately. Good and reliable. I heve used both systems, mirtor and base and prefer the baseplate models. Just as accurate to navigate by, as all navigation including precision navigation, is a blend of map reading and compass work.

The only plus the versions with the flip up mirror compasses have is that the compass is more protected.

Simple is best!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have been using Silva both in service and privately. Good and reliable.....

Are your Silvas the real ones? The ones marked "Silva" in North America (I don't know your supply chain in the Caymans) are no longer made by Silva as they lost a court case over thr trademark :( As a result we can't get them anymore. I still have an older one I've had over 30 years!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I was in the Swedish Army for 3 years. We used the Swedish made Silva sighting compasses. I had my issued compass for years after that, untill I lost it.
Before the Army I used a swedish made simple baseplate type Silva, and after losing my issued one a simple base plate again.
My usage changed through my training. Before it I relied more on the compass then after.
You do not need a compass in Cayman. I can use the wind. It blows a certain way in different times of the year.
Plus the island is so small that you know ehere you are at all times.
I can get lost at the Ritz easily, specially after imbibing alcoholic drinks, but not in the nature here!

I believe all Silva compasses for sale in Europe are madein Sweden, but may be wrong.
I would not trust a Chinese made compass, but that is just me...

I yhink it is important to know which features you need before buying a compass. Also, as it is potentially an instrument that can cause you to get lost, to learn how to use it.

Last edited:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Kenthis,

That compass from clasohlson sounds fine so long as it IS a Silva and if your budget is limited to £20.
Some good comments already made here. A few more for you to consider -

So long as the mirror-lid folds open completely flat and the sides are then perfectly in line with the edge of the base-plate you can use it to extend the line of a projected bearing on a map - very useful when you have to do back bearings for triangulation (and you do state that you want to pinpoint yourself on a map)

I have noticed however that there are no Roma guides on the base-plate - although not vital they are extremely helpful for plotting grid reference co-ordinates onto/from OS type maps. (Again relevant to your statement).

Neither is there a direction of travel indicator nor a magnify-er on the base-plate, again useful elements if you are planning to use your map and compass to full effect.
(I can’t tell if it has luminous aids for low light nav).

The mirror also means that you have an emergency signalling item on you and a shaving aid!

I’ve owned one of the Ranger CLQ mirror compasses (with inclinometer!) for donkey’s but the one that gets used the most both during planning and nav is the Silva type 54 (Exped) baseplate sighting compass. It is expensive but it is arguably the most versatile compass; as simple to use as the basic type 4 base-plate compass; accurate and packed with all the aforementioned features. (You won’t need/want another type unless you collect compasses once you’ve used a type 54! - ref to your title - First and Last compass).

I teach navigation and to be honest there is very little difference in the accuracy of most (serviceable) 'sighting' compasses (until you hit military prismatic types and even that depends on the calibration). The difference in the interpretation of compass needle alignment in the base-plate and sighting-line projection onto a distant feature varies slightly from person to person so there are always a couple of degrees 'argument'!

If you can’t afford a type 54 straight off, I would go for a (cheaper) type 4, learn to use it in your sleep but simultaneously put out an appeal for a used type 54 or add it to your Christmas/Birthday list?! The type 4 skills will be directly transferable to the type 54. (PS - don't be fooled by the 'Exped' tag - it is a great compass for any type of nav).

Hope this is useful.:)

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I would favour silva over other makes, though some of the other makes are just as good. I like the 54 and agree with the last message from Jaeger that you may pick up one at a reduced price second hand, however you would be fairly unlikely to get the instruction booklet that comes with them when new. One point I would mention is NOT to carry your compass
whatever the make near to a pocket radio or other magnetic gadget, as this can permanently reverse the compass
polarity, this can also happen if carried in a glove compartment of a car due to it being near the windscreen wiper
motor.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
KenThis, if you want to keep the compass "forever" then I think you should invest a bit more and get one of the Silva pro/ military ones.
The models built for and isdued by military forces are built a tad better that the cheaper versions.

Also to get the full use of it, and a map, you should get trained by somebody like Jaeger.

Most people never utilise the full potential of a compass.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
A others have said it will be accurate, durable and versatile. If it was to be your last compass then a longer baseplate, magnifier, roamer and luminous indicators would make it more versatile.

If you went for an expedition 4 which can be got for £20 then it is likely to be the one any course you went on would use and it ticks all the boxes.

Last edited:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Thank you all for the comments especially Jaeger very useful.

Jaeger have you considered writing a sticky on compasses? I'm sure it would be very well used.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up All,

Yet more good points from people -

Nice one ol smokey - you are bang-on re keeping a compass clear of electro/magnetic/metallic objects due to de-calibration - that goes for storage, carriage and in use. One winter a former student of mine once managed to 'flip' his compass needle due to a hidden magnet in the folder-over part of a pair of finger-less mittens. Thinking that he had a duff compass I loaned him mine - guess what? - Two flipped compii :lmao: It took a while after suspecting overhead power lines, hidden rocks etc before we worked it out! The old magnet stroke trick soon had them re-zeroed.

Kenthis, re the sticky –

First of all I believe that stickies can only be posted by administrators or moderators?

Second - are you suggesting an item on types of compass available/pros & cons and selection recommendations or the actual use of them?

The first could be fairly straight forward, in principle I have no qualms about doing it but I would be surprised if someone, somewhere in BCUK hasn’t already done this – I’m a relatively recent joiner compared with many.

The second by necessity would be very detailed and in IMHO a subject best taught face-to-face and hands-on.

Over the years I have looked at a number of IT based nav applications, some good, some not so good. I’ve even created my own IT based package which I use for delivering from basic map and compass, through night nav and on to tactical map & compass and GPS nav, but I believe that delivering (with practical exercises, coaching and assessment) is the key aspect to ensuring that someone assimilates the input and doesn’t forget it a few days after they have completed the training as I have periodically witnessed. :)

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Hi Jaeger,

I was thinking just a very basic intro into purchasing as you say "types of compass available/pros & cons and selection recommendations" perhaps at different price points..
As for learning the ropes I agree that can only really be taught 1 on 1.
I'm sure at some point I'm going to take part in a basic navigation course.
You are clearly an expert on navigation and compasses, for n00bs like me that kind of information is truly invaluable, brings a lot of confidence to purchasing kit and then using said kit.

I really did find your earlier post very very helpful.
Cheers Ken

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE