Which hatchet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm after a small hatchet for use on foreign trips. The hatchet will be used for carving, limbing and light camp duties. I've tried a small Kent pattern axe but I just don't like the balance. A big knife is not an option as I don't like carving with them. So have you had any joy with a hatchet, if so, which one?

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
I've got a Fiskars X5 which I like. It's small enough not to be awkward to pack around and you don't feel like a psycho packing one in your backpack on a flight. You can do quite a lot with that size. Mine is happy hammering things, chopping firewood, batoning with, general woods things and garden duties at home. Gransfors do a similar size which is loads better quality but the Fiskars can take a beating and sharpen up easily.

If you can stretch to the X7, which is GB wildlife hatchet size, it packs more of a punch.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
For a great all rounder I heartily recommend the gransfors mini hatchet sometimes know as the hand hatchet or kubben.
I use it regularly for carving and firewood processing.
It is a shortened version of the wildlife hatchet and IMO the most useful of their range for anything bar felling very small small trees though it would do the job at a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've a lot of time for my RAF surplus Estwing, totally bomb proof. I use it for roughing out , fire prep, chopping roots in the bottom of holes, cooking ( holding the head like a ulu it's great for herbs and improvised mincing up ). Hammering.

There's several sizes

http://estwingtools.co.uk/estwing-axes-and-hatchets.html?p=1

and they do turn up on the surplus market for a lot less, our two were still in the stores packaging.

ATB

TOM

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
81681bf0a531.jpg

Get a husqvarna , I love it more and more after I use it , great quality , after small sharpening you get a razor sharp edge and due to nice weight great for splitting , good price.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Seems as gransfors Bruks hasn't been thrown out there yet, I have a wildlife hatchet and its superb. The shape of the head means you can choke up very effectively and its not too heavy or large to put in a pack :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Plumb if you can find an old one. The old Boy Scout ones are great (small) and the older WWII surplus ones (a bit larger) are also great. Lots of them on ebay.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Since I got my GB Outdoor Axe I've hardly used anything else. It punches way above it's weight and can cut and split well. I've never used it for carving (apart from roughing out blanks), so I can't comment on that.

Cheers, Michael.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
81681bf0a531.jpg

Get a husqvarna , I love it more and more after I use it , great quality , after small sharpening you get a razor sharp edge and due to nice weight great for splitting , good price.

+1 for this. It's a superb tool, a really useful but packable size and at a very good price.

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
81681bf0a531.jpg

I am far from an expert on hatchets. But I have a few and play with them. Stihl, Wetterlings, Fiskars, and I can"t find pics of my Husqvarna, which I like a lot. The smallest Fiskars are quite fun to use also, and weigh nothing. I have an old video somewhere (I got a nice Hultafors etc. since I made that). On youtube under "upnorth". I made it just after I got my Husky hatchet. I only play with these things recreationaly and I have no special skills or knowledge. Found it, please forgive the shaking, it was after a night shift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkYGuAb661Q

Last edited:

andy godfrey

Nov 19, 2015
Leicestershire
Have you tried Robin Wood excellent value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had problems with these. I bought one and the handle worked loose after a few sessions spoon carving. Robin sent me another (good guy that he is) but it has the same problem. It isn't me, honest!

Possibly a duff batch, I guess

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I've had problems with these. I bought one and the handle worked loose after a few sessions spoon carving. Robin sent me another (good guy that he is) but it has the same problem. It isn't me, honest!

Possibly a duff batch, I guess

When did you buy those mate?......been thinking of ordering one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE