Looking for a cheap large Bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey folks,

I'm after a large Bergen, something around 100-120 litres. It's for carrying my leatherwork, tools, and some sleeping gear from the airport to a market i'm attending in a few weeks. So it doesn't need to be brilliant, just last long enough to get everything there and back.

Can anyone recommend something? no issues with secondhand gear etc. I may be needing one for my friend too.

Hamish

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Have a look at British army deployment bags, they have a couple of carrying options

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Have a look at British army deployment bags, they have a couple of carrying options

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

To be honest, the quality of those deployment bags varies - I've had one that has been going strong for almost 10 years, and another that has burst along many of its major seams within a few months of use. Others have had similar problems, so a bit of a gamble. The dutch army have huge, robust holdalls, but (at least the one i have) doesn't have rucksack straps, just a standard single shoulder strap.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To be honest, the quality of those deployment bags varies - I've had one that has been going strong for almost 10 years, and another that has burst along many of its major seams within a few months of use. Others have had similar problems, so a bit of a gamble. The dutch army have huge, robust holdalls, but (at least the one i have) doesn't have rucksack straps, just a standard single shoulder strap.

Are the Dutch ones anything like this A-3 bag? Easily 100 -120 liters or more.

s-l1600.jpg

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
If it's for short distance carrying then BCB "DZ" bags are good. Basically a big square hold-all with wrap around handles.

If it's a Bergen you are after have a look at the British Army Medic Bergen. It's very similar to the infantry pack, 120ltrs with side pouches but it has a extra compartment on the front. The compartment is Velcro lined for mesh pouches and it has a board/flap with elastic strapping for medical tools, but could easily carry any other tools. That way it would keep your sharps away from your main pack.

They used to be rare, normally in good nick because of the users role, but hundreds have been released from mod stores lately, I got a bargain, cheaper than a normal infantry pack.

It's a very understated and often unheard about bit of kit but so useful.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I got two German sea sacks for storage a few years ago, they are huge, side loading so easy to get stuff in and out of, you can get them cheaper and with zips that aren't broken if you search around.

I've not picked them up and carried them around for a while so I don't know how comfortable they are to move.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE