Svante dvarj axe advice wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all, I am in the market for a new carving axe and have my eye on the svante djarv little Viking axe.
Now I have a couple of their carving knives which are great but have no experience with their axes and hoping someone here can share their thoughts.

I have been using the gb Swedish carving axe for several years and love it for larger work but am looking for something lighter.
Ideally something with a largish blade and of the bearded style and happy to consider other recommendations.

I have gb axes coming out of my ears in the form of an sfa, wildlife hatchet and kubben/hand hatchet and though I love them all I would like a bigger blade more suited to be a dedicated carver.

Hope that makes sense, so what does everyone think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pockets

Jun 19, 2014
United Kingdom
I have a Robin Wood Axe and its a great carving axe for lighter work. Very nicely balanced and not to heavy at all. Sorry I cant comment on Svante Djarvs axe.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I have a Robin Wood Axe and its a great carving axe for lighter work. Very nicely balanced and not to heavy at all. Sorry I cant comment on Svante Djarvs axe.

Thanks pockets, I ha e looked at the Robin Wood axe and know they are very well thought of.
It probably sounds quite petty but I am looking for something a little more bespoke both in looks and, hopefully, versatility with a fairly large curve to the blade.

An also looking at the hans karlson axe but again have no experience with it.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
A friend has a Svante Little Viking that I've used on and off over the years which I absolutely love and covet, great handle head shape holds an edge well and great to carve with (though I think he's altered the bevels slightly), the only problem I found was when I started to look into getting one for myself. Of the other 5 I've looked at, the head around the poll and eye have all been a bit angular and faceted, I don't know how else to explain it but they just seemed really unfinished and not like the one I've used. I like to choke up on the head quite a bit and the angular edges of the (what I assume changed design or poor QC) newer axes bite into the web of my hand, though if you don't choke up like that it's all moot anyway and they have (to me at least) gorgeously comfortable handles.
In my search I eventually picked up a carving head from nic westerman and have to say I love it, so much so that last year I picked another head up from him (more weight in the head and slightly different shape), of course generally you need to handle these yourself which can be part of the fun as you get to shape the handle to your own ideal.
The other carver I'd throw in for your speculation is the Hans Karlsson Sloyd axe, and if I didn't have the nic westerman's then I would have probably gone down this route, great handles and balance with a really well finished head for choking up on generally (though I have noticed one or two that seem a bit more angular).
Just my two penneth and experience for what it's worth, hope it helps and good luck in the search :D

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
I should of added on one of the heads I trimmed down a GB faceted carving axe handle I had floating around, so if your happy with the shape of the GB carving handle that's an option too.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
A friend has a Svante Little Viking that I've used on and off over the years which I absolutely love and covet, great handle head shape holds an edge well and great to carve with (though I think he's altered the bevels slightly), the only problem I found was when I started to look into getting one for myself. Of the other 5 I've looked at, the head around the poll and eye have all been a bit angular and faceted, I don't know how else to explain it but they just seemed really unfinished and not like the one I've used. I like to choke up on the head quite a bit and the angular edges of the (what I assume changed design or poor QC) newer axes bite into the web of my hand, though if you don't choke up like that it's all moot anyway and they have (to me at least) gorgeously comfortable handles.
In my search I eventually picked up a carving head from nic westerman and have to say I love it, so much so that last year I picked another head up from him (more weight in the head and slightly different shape), of course generally you need to handle these yourself which can be part of the fun as you get to shape the handle to your own ideal.
The other carver I'd throw in for your speculation is the Hans Karlsson Sloyd axe, and if I didn't have the nic westerman's then I would have probably gone down this route, great handles and balance with a really well finished head for choking up on generally (though I have noticed one or two that seem a bit more angular).
Just my two penneth and experience for what it's worth, hope it helps and good luck in the search :D

I would love a nic westermann however he is out of stock on his website and is not taking any new orders at the moment hence the search.
A bit of googling this morning and the hans karlson seems another good contender as it has a lighter head than both my gb and the svante which may suit my needs.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Right by way of update I have been trawling through reviews and specs of the djarv and karlsson axes and comparing against those I already own.
Overall bearing in mind the weight consideration and the style and aesthetics I am looking for I have just pressed go on the hans karlsson sloyd axe with a symmetrical grind. My gb Swedish has a right hand bias and is great for flat and concave surfaces so thought I would try something supposedly better for curves.
Full review to come once I have had a chance to give it some proper use.

All the best, Hamster

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Cool name. Svante Dwarf. Swedish style Political Correctness!

:)

( but to be truthful, it is Svante Djärv. The meaning of Djärv is something like ' heroic' in Swedish.)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Well I am now one very happy bunny as following some glowing recommendations from the fine folk of bcuk I went with the hans karlsson sloyd axe which arrived today.

85a620b305cb5abb0809f6a7af62125b.jpg

8f650ae097ee22b1635510fcbc7d8d88.jpg

I have been drooling over it for the past hour and had a little play around with it.
The head is noticeably lighter than the GB Swedish carving axe, more in line with the mini or wildlife hatchet, but feeling similar in size.
It comes very sharp and the beard lets you choke up nicely.

4d57ccd09f0b97c409536d62136e881f.jpg

I had a quick hack roughing out a spoon blank from some seasoned birch which gave it no problems and cut through like a dream.

8bc277d24703999094fba05c510bae4e.jpg

All in all I'm very impressed and will have post up a little review once I have had some proper time with it to pick out the good the bad and the quirky.

I picked it up from "the wood smith experience" website, no relation but very pleased with the service. Ordered Saturday on standard 3-5 day delivery and arrived Tuesday.

Thanks all for the advice and recommendations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE