Car boot find .....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Picked this up this morning as a project , looks old and original , will have to see if my limited skills can bring it back to life ....
Am thinking of a camo cover for the sheath , new leather hanger , a new handle and sharpen the blade , I want it as a functional user . Any tips and advice welcome .....

3f45fcb8e640cf6913a72c8b2020dd3c.jpg

c26ec362e0b381cc98a8a0d6504505dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'd go for a leather stacked handle myself. I have a small Khurkri and have struggled to take the handle off it to do the same mod.

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
Too many people on here have awesome car boot finds. Our car boots are rubbish. One thing I miss about living in Portsmouth was going over to the bridgemary car boot on a Sunday. Now I'm back home I've never found one that compares.

Dec 27, 2015
Pembroke
Father told me the two blades at the top were for sharpening the large blade. He was friends with some gurkhas when he served in 66 so I can only presume this is the correct usage

Sent from my SM-G110H using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Chakmak and Karda…..The Chakmak is an unsharpened steel used for honing the blade of the khukuri and the Karda is for more delicate work that the kukri 'might' not be able to handle, such as skinning or fine work etc. At least that is what I was always told but have never actually used one or worked with anyone that has.

D.B.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
The two little knives: one was for steeling, realigning an already sharp edge. The other was a small paring knife for food prep. Tourist ones are always far too small.

It looks correct. Worth spending some time getting it right. If there is enough tang then see if you can make a handle big enough for western hands. For the price of Kukris, renovating will always be a labour of love. I think the traditional handle shape works best, so maybe a MKII handle at some point??? Have fun.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE