Is this a civvy version of a Bergen?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Hi all,

Picked this up from a charity shop yesterday. It appears to be a Bergen-type rucksack, made by Berghaus, possibly from the 1980s / early 1990s (going by the buckles). It has a few 'quirks' though which makes me wonder if it is a civvy version, or perhaps one modified by a previous owner. Can anyone tell me the name of this particular model?

IMG_20160522_130837_zpsa4lmylcf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The whole thing is in various shades of green but isn't entirely drab - for instance the straps are muted Berghaus colours but still too bright for military use (I would have thought). The main buckles are green (as is the Bergbuckle on the waist strap) but the buckles relating to the harness appear to be blue! The AB System badge I assume means Adjustable Back as the harness has various buckled straps and ladder-like clips (see below).

IMG_20160522_130924_zpskdchiqan.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20160522_130947_zps90ulrcef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

According to other posts I've read this looks like it could be a Vulcan copy 'sac however all the Bergen rucksacks mentioned seem to have detachable side pouches. The ones on this are fixed and have zips which open in opposite ways to each other (the left one opens front to back and the right one vice versa)! It also has a large rear-facing zipped pocket mounted externally on the lid, with additional straps on top of that.

Inside is a cavernous main department which used to have a label attached internally but which has been cut out. This compartment has a floor built in to it separating it from a lower, smaller compartment which is accessible by a double zip lower down on the front of the 'sac.

The back has a harness system which I haven't seen on the other posts I checked out. It can be adjusted both top and bottom but there is a curious D-ring and ladder-type arrangement which is also adjustable. Is this to move the entire bag up or down independent of the harness position? Inside the rucksack body there is an internal frame comprised of metal bars which can be accessed via velcro'd flaps and by removing the padding in the large lumbar pad. All the frame seems to be bolted together and, in theory, could be easily replaced / changed with a spanner! -

IMG_20160522_133039_zpsdxglx0sd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The image above shows the central top of the internal frame with its' bolts, and the covered, curved metal 'shoulders'.

Finally, the 'sac appears to be in excellent condition for its' apparent age, and only has light abrasion on one side pocket. One of the main buckles or clips is broken so does anyone know if Berghaus hold spares of these? In a side pocket I also found this (image below) which is a buckle attached to a length of webbing and elastic. I assume this is a chest clip but am unable to figure out how I attach it to the shoulder straps - can anyone enlighten me?!

IMG_20160522_131332_zpsdmjwzb2l.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help and interest.

Bob:)

Last edited:

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Ah - that's odd as they showed up in Preview and still OK.

I'll try to figure out what's going on and delete / repost if I can't.

Thanks for flagging up.

Bob

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Just reposted it all - hope you can see the photos now.

As I could still see them before when no-one else could - would someone please post on here if they are still not visible; thanks!

Bob

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It looks a grand find whatever it is.

Im pretty sure I have a replacement buckle, -but its at home, so I wont be able to get it until I return, (and no idea when.)

Stevenm

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2014
Poole
Its an 80s Berghaus rucksack with their first adjustable back system

What a find stealthy without being overtly military and good condition too

Might have some value as a collectors item

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Thanks for the feedback so far - anyone know the model name though (i.e. Vulcan, Crusader etc.)? And is it a civilian or military version?

The one on ebay isn't this one I hasten to add!!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Nice pack, the issue bergen is modeled after one of the berghaus designs (Crusader or vulcan i think) so the civvy ones came first. I still have an old vulcan somewhere in the loft, very well made back in the day.

Tonyuk

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Hi all

Many thanks for the comments so far. Tengu and lou1661 - the measurements of the (broken) buckle appear to be 60mm long by 30mm wide, and it sits on a 24mm wide strap. I've approached Berghaus about a spare but if I luck out there and you'd be willing to sell a spare on then that would be great - thanks.

I contacted the ebay seller Joonsy flagged up (who is selling an identical 'sac) to find out the model name but - like mine - the label in his has been cut out as well; it's a conspiracy!!

We'll see if any other info comes to light via Berghaus.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi all

Many thanks for the comments so far. Tengu and lou1661 - the measurements of the (broken) buckle appear to be 60mm long by 30mm wide, and it sits on a 24mm wide strap. I've approached Berghaus about a spare but if I luck out there and you'd be willing to sell a spare on then that would be great - thanks.

Bob,
I don't want anything for it, its a buckle! Pm me if you need it.
Louis

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Hello again all,

Well, the nice people at Berghaus came back to me with a load of useful information. The 'sac is a civvy one called the AB75 from 1984. Although they couldn't help with the buckle they did send through some pages from (I presume) a catalogue of the time which details all the bits and how to adjust it all. Good stuff!

Thank you all who posted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE