In the market for a brew/cooking kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hello chaps!

So iv decided to retire my old army surplus kit and I'm in the market for a new one.
I'm not sure if I can get all my desires in one, however I can try!
So ideally I want to be able to use it with an open fire (such as the solo stoves) but also be able to stick a meths burner underneath at the right height.
-Not too big, it would only be for boiling 1-2 cups water/boil in the bag meal.
-Maybe the most important for me is stability. I see a lot of pots 'balancing' on top of stoves. and I'm not the most careful of people, if it's able to come off easily, it will.
-Material doesn't matter too much, but I want it to be robust, and potentially not pay the premium for titanium, unless it's a good price.

I really love the look of this one but it's too big and a little out of budget.

https://wildstoves.co.uk/product/ezystove/
Also liked the solo stoves

Budget around £40 or less, I don't mind second hand or even third hand. If it gets the job done I'm all for it!

Thanks in advance!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
That ezystove is 2.8kg. My overnighter kit weighs less than that...

I would look at the Honey stove or Pocket stove by Backpackinglight. Both are light, stable, and burn wood, and you can burn meths either with a trangia burner, or a lighter (and cheaper) zelph starlyte burner.

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've got one of the lixada wood gas stoves. I would say it's a bit of a faff to use, you have to make sure your wood is quite small (in length), and the balance point between feeding enough in to keep it going, whilst not smothering it nor starving it is quite a fine line.

J

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
No way I am trying to start a flame war but if you have 40 quid to play with, why not make your own. I accept that you may need this tool or that tool which you do not own but a dremel and wilkinsons and / or 99p store is not a bad start. I still have my home made £6 honey stove made from pound shop oven trays.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've got one of the lixada wood gas stoves. I would say it's a bit of a faff to use, you have to make sure your wood is quite small (in length), and the balance point between feeding enough in to keep it going, whilst not smothering it nor starving it is quite a fine line.

J

blimey that is a good price most of these when I last looked were around the £50 mark -

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The lixada copy of the emberlit stove looks very similar to the Pocket stove by Bob Backpackinglight. I would venture that his is more versatile (it'll work with a trangia burner for example). As well as supporting a British company. Its worth noting that Bob the designer is a forum member (podcastbob), who puts a lot of work into the design of said stoves, and I think we should encourage this with our purchasing.

J

PS wrt to my lixada woodgas stove, I've used it once and am seriously considering selling it, the only reason I haven't is that it would cost £2.80 just to post it, making it very hard to make back much of what I paid for it.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Can't argue with the sentiment but there seem to be various people on both sides of the Atlantic claiming credit for the original design of these stoves.

http://emberlit.com/emberlit-original-stainless-lightweight-backpacking-stove?__hstc=223022532.e02243fc02dab6013ebd95b7a2506ff3.1464793753342.1464793753342.1464793753342.1&__hssc=223022532.1.1464793753342&__hsfp=907954327

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/wood-burning-stoves/RD104.html

FWIW Lixada make lots of different types/sizes of stove (probably all knock-offs of someone else's design) but you look at dimensions of the Lixada (Emberlit? copy) stove I linked to, it is about twice the height/width of the Backpackinglight stove. No problems fitting a Trangia burner in it (can't use the simmer ring though) and the size of the stove and opening means I've found it very easy to keep going for several hours at a time to cook stews etc. using quite large (and once its going), quite damp wood.

The lixada copy of the emberlit stove looks very similar to the Pocket stove by Bob Backpackinglight. I would venture that his is more versatile (it'll work with a trangia burner for example). As well as supporting a British company. Its worth noting that Bob the designer is a forum member (podcastbob), who puts a lot of work into the design of said stoves, and I think we should encourage this with our purchasing.

J

PS wrt to my lixada woodgas stove, I've used it once and am seriously considering selling it, the only reason I haven't is that it would cost £2.80 just to post it, making it very hard to make back much of what I paid for it.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I've been using a Stanley adventure set for a while now. Nice pot with two well made plastic mugs.
[http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/182054037363?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006607&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220866%3Apla-142405572066&adtype=pla&crdt=0

a homemade Fancee Feest meths stove fits perfectly into one of the cups and a 125ml nalgene for fuel into that. Then if you only take one mug theres space for your brew kit in the pot as well.
Alternativly It'll fit a little 100g? gas bottle in it with a small stove and one of the mugs.

DSC_1098_zpsvroowft4.jpg

Used it in fires sat in the embers or hanging off a bit of wire attached to the handle, great bit of kit. Paid about £15 for mine from sports direct I think so worth shopping around.

12898207_830565837089737_2252343876920270574_o_zpssxbbzh9y.jpg

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Don't know if this is of interest or not but I thought I chuck it in the pot. How about the Swiss Army Volcano stove? Small lightweight take solid fuel, alcohol stoves and wood. Either boil in the cup or remove the cork and boil in the bottle. BUT there alway a BUT. Stability isn't the best, however there are few ways to make it more stable. Use a couple of spare tent pegs into the ground and through a hole on the stove or three small shelf brackets and a length of wire and you're good to go.

Screenshot from 2016-06-03 04:01:23.jpg
[video=youtube;8qzUdhZk_hk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qzUdhZk_hk[/video]

Another caveat to be fair. I have read stories of people melting their cookers but this seems to be only with hot burning hardwoods.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Don't know if this is of interest or not but I thought I chuck it in the pot. How about the Swiss Army Volcano stove? Small lightweight take solid fuel, alcohol stoves and wood. Either boil in the cup or remove the cork and boil in the bottle. BUT there alway a BUT. Stability isn't the best, however there are few ways to make it more stable. Use a couple of spare tent pegs into the ground and through a hole on the stove or three small shelf brackets and a length of wire and you're good to go.

Do these work like a Kelly Kettle with a central chimney through the bottle? Never tried one but heard good things about them.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Do these work like a Kelly Kettle with a central chimney through the bottle? Never tried one but heard good things about them.

Not really. What you have is three parts. The stove (think a large can with air holes and a larger cut out to feed the wood in) a water bottle with cork stopper and lastly the cup. The stove has a wire handle which locks everything in place for transport. There's also a second wire doo-dad that is used via a small cutout in the side. Slot the wire tab into the hole and it will hold the water bottle above the fire to heat the 32oz (about 800ml) bottle full of water (make sure you remove the cork first :)). You don't need to use that if you just use the 20oz (about 400ml) cup in the top of the stove.

One thing I do like about the cup is that it's slightly tapered and when you use it in the stove the taper allows the heat to lick up round the sides of the cup and not just the bottom. Heats up faster.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE