Hazel woodland handrail project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Not really a traditional craft as used stainless screws for strength but thought I would share one of my woodland projects.
In the woods I look after I have built some handrails utilising hazel coppiced back in October, certainly helps me get up and down the steps and local walkers enjoy the work in the woods.
Last one (first images) were built today, great way to spend a Sunday.
The seat at the bottom of the last images was made from an old oak stump that had bee laying at the bottom of the steps for years, that was fun getting it upright with rope and tackle.

WP_20160522_14_22_02_Pro[1].jpg WP_20160522_11_57_14_Pro[1].jpg WP_20160522_14_22_19_Pro[1].jpg
WP_20160421_18_25_33_Pro[1].jpg WP_20160421_18_28_44_Pro[1].jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd enjoy that very much. My sense of balance has been damaged, some days are really "wobbly."
A hand rail, any hand rail, gives me a 3rd point of stability so I can relax and not focus on not falling over.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Cheers, not sure what the next project will be but thinking of renewing some of the worn out steps in other parts of the site but using the hazel instead of planks, will be a trail on a couple and see how it goes.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
nicely done m8.....i love things like this built into the woodland.....

theres a bit of ancient woodland round the corner from me that i always use for a stroll and recently theyve literally gutted it out....granted, it needed it, and granted, theyve done a great job.....massive undertaking....new paths, signs, bridges the lot (all part of the resculpting of bordon now that the military are pulling out) but its sterile.....feels like the hearts been ripped out of the forest....theyve also put in concrete casted sculptures and 'modern art'!!!! feels like walking round alice holt forestry commission now.

luckily i can still climb over the new modern fencing to get to the untouched riverside so i can cosy up and make a brew and at least feel like i'm in a natural environment.

anyway....good job....just looking forward to your divining thread!!!!

s

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE