Sheath or Sheaf?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sheath or Sheaf?

• Sheath

Votes: 198 98.5%
  • Sheaf

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Languages evolve and english is a perfect example. Add to that the "digital age" where hundreds of new words, unknown 30 years ago, are quite acceptable.
Get used to the idea of translating. I think some synonyms are outstandingly dense/thick/stupid & foolish. The regional origins explain otherwise.
All sorts of words have been incorporated into english. There's 12,000 yr old word in Sanskrit that we all understand for "sugar." The word is "kandij." Just say it.

But you all are right. Mistakes in auditory perception can be perpetuated.

There's a huge difference between a flexible and ever changing vocabulary and the mangling of grammar and syntax.

I think 'sheaf' has slipped into usage from certain areas of the country whose inhabitants pronounce the 'th' as 'f' - like Sarf Landon!

English does evolve, in this way, quite a lot - an apron, for example, is actually a napron (relating to 'nap' - as in weave, or cloth).

We have grammatical oddities too. "...if I were you...". Why the plural, "were"? Surely it should be "...if I was you...".

It's "sheath", by the way!

But in a hundred years time - who knows?

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
The problem with criticising grammar is we then have to use perfect grammar ourselves; otherwise we become hippopotamus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE