Wild camping north Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damo!

May 10, 2016
Hitchin
Hi all,

Does anyone know of any wild camping friendly woodlands in this area? I want to plan a 2 day walk/hike with a single night sleepover in this area and would prefer to wild camp.
If there are any members here that would like to maybe arrange something together i'd be open to that.

Anybody know of anything in these parts?

Damo!

May 10, 2016
Hitchin
Awesome! Thanks for that, looks interesting.

Im thinking i may take a look at the Barton hills National Nature reserve or over the hill at Ashridge forest.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Hi Damo! The woods at Barton Hills are quite small and very heavily used, not the best spot imo. Not far from you to recce yourself though and is always worth a walk and brew there Good luck with your searching.

Damo!

May 10, 2016
Hitchin
Hi Damo! The woods at Barton Hills are quite small and very heavily used, not the best spot imo. Not far from you to recce yourself though and is always worth a walk and brew there Good luck with your searching.

That was my worry, that it was busy.

Hmm, seems I may go over the hill then to Ashridge, unless I do a late camp, early leave to avoid the people traffic.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
I'm off to Ardeley next month, took a drive up there the other night and it looks very nice. Choice of woods and fields to camp in. Though it is £25 for a fire kit inlcuding 'Extra Large 40 litre Bag of Ash Logs, Extra Long Matches, Kindling & Firelighters. Includes Permission for Open Fire.'

Think I'll be taking the meths stove

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Ardeley sounds good. There's a place near me, called bidwell. Has a decent sized woodland but sadly lacks a stream of water.

I've been there a few times with a good water supply.

steam: nephilim460 | origin: netphlix_n_chill | twitch: nephilim_uk

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Scouts use it yes. Council have given me the go ahead to camp there provided I clean up and such like. I've had no issues there, except once where there was a dog walker who complained that I had an axe and was cutting up deadwood away from camp.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
How did you go about getting the permission? Would have thought the council would be less likely to give anyone permission since they are more formal.

What a dull dog walker :lmao:

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I got permission as I know the chap that does the parkland care. Providing I clean up, and make sure I put out any fires, spread the ashes etc, its all good.

bluey1610

Apr 30, 2012
uk
Oh I see. Just looked up Ardeley. That looks good. Will look into that

Sent from my iPhone because I have an iPhone

Colin R

Aug 3, 2020
Stevenage
Evening folks, just resurrecting an old thread. I'm new on here and getting into wild camping/ bush craft after a VERY long gap from the great outdoors. Based in Stevenage , I'm interesting on knowing what the Ardeley site is like nowadays.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
There's no real meets taking place around this area, the closest I attend is here:

We have another thread which discussed meets in our area here but nothign came of it:

Reactions: Colin R

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE