Breakfast outdoors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do the bacon first. The beans make a sticky mess otherwise, but if you fry the bacon and then fry the beans they become like the Mexican refried beans that go with nachos or tortilla chips and cheese.

M

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Do the bacon first. The beans make a sticky mess otherwise, but if you fry the bacon and then fry the beans they become like the Mexican refried beans that go with nachos or tortilla chips and cheese.

Thanks for that Mary, that sounds absolutely delicious :)

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales

M
Yes, I've been doing it that way for longer than I can remember-don't add any oil or fats to the bacon, the beans cook in the bacon fat(don't use cheapo bacon either or you'll be boiling the beans in water from it) any decent dry(ish) bacon (got to be smoked, trust me) will do a fantastic job and the beans are almost to fight over-try it-you'll be converted.

yum yum with a full tum(and it reduces windiness too as a bonus)

Tom.

Mar 14, 2016
Sydney

M

I agree. Fry the bacon first and use the excess fat to cook the beans and make it even tastier. :D

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
Smoky bacon with beans is a regular feature on my campfire, be it breakfast, lunch, dinner (or any two out of those three). :)

But to answer the original question; No, I've never done them both in the same pan. Might give it a go next time. I like to do the bacon on the grill and get a bit of flame on it. When it's about done, on goes the pan of beans, add what I fancy on the day (oregano, cayenne pepper, allspice, definately smoked paprica) and when hot, throw the bacon on top and get stuck in.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I do the same thing with a tin of Heinz spagetti instead of beans - but maybe I should be. Cheers.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
Smoky bacon with beans is a regular feature on my campfire, be it breakfast, lunch, dinner (or any two out of those three). :)

But to answer the original question; No, I've never done them both in the same pan. Might give it a go next time. I like to do the bacon on the grill and get a bit of flame on it. When it's about done, on goes the pan of beans, add what I fancy on the day (oregano, cayenne pepper, allspice, definately smoked paprica) and when hot, throw the bacon on top and get stuck in.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I do the same thing with a tin of Heinz spagetti instead of beans - but maybe I should be. Cheers.

I do pretty much the same, but often with well done Belly Pork slices rather than the Bacon, marvellous comfort food!

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
I do pretty much the same, but often with well done Belly Pork slices rather than the Bacon, marvellous comfort food!

Using belly pork sounds like a great idea. Do you use 'bacon-thick' slices or thick slabs? My butcher does belly pork, but in really thick slices (like a good steak). Will it stand a bit of flame-grilling? Whatever; you've tempted me to give it a go - yum yum. :)

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
Using belly pork sounds like a great idea. Do you use 'bacon-thick' slices or thick slabs? My butcher does belly pork, but in really thick slices (like a good steak). Will it stand a bit of flame-grilling? Whatever; you've tempted me to give it a go - yum yum. :)

I just tend to use the small (4 slice) packs from the Supermarkets which are about the size of a thinish steak. I often cook mine on a Cobb BBQ, and yes it will stand a little bit of Flame, it's good for the Crackling! I then dice it and throw it in with the beans.

Makes a great breakfast, brunch, dinner, supper, or in between any of the aforementioned!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE