Aloc Alcohol Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Christmas is here:

The Alocs stove has arrived.

Out the box it comes in a protective casing which seems to be of good quality. Well packaged.

axolotlchris-albums-test-picture38990-alocs-1.jpg

axolotlchris-albums-test-picture38991-alocs-2.jpg

Good finish on the stand and burner.

axolotlchris-albums-test-picture38992-alocs-3.jpg

Holes are of two sizes, hopefully large enough.

axolotlchris-albums-test-picture38993-alocs-4.jpg

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've heard this burns cleaner than meths mate.. is that true.

It does for me..slightly. Still a bit of soot though and the smell is still there. I think a bit of the soot reduction is down to not having the purple dye in it.

Tonyuk

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
This is probably the worst place I could say this.. but I do not drink tea!
Or any hot drinks for that matter..

:sad6:

I'll get my cook on and post the results lol

khain

Mar 2, 2014
Scotland
Looks exactly like a Trangia burner which is excessively bulky and heavy for what it is.

I wish someone would produce a smaller and lighter version of the Trangia using aluminium. I could handle a much shorter burn time for a stove that fits in my mug and weighs under 100g. I know there are titanium alcohol stoves but they're overly expensive and have dubious designs.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Looks exactly like a Trangia burner which is excessively bulky and heavy for what it is.

I wish someone would produce a smaller and lighter version of the Trangia using aluminium. I could handle a much shorter burn time for a stove that fits in my mug and weighs under 100g. I know there are titanium alcohol stoves but they're overly expensive and have dubious designs.
You got me thinking and googling. Are either of these the kind of thing you were thinking of?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/113559039/ultra-light-small-side-jet-alcohol-stove

Or

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/261619196/ultra-light-medium-top-jet-alcohol-stove

Sorry about the hideous links! (OK, edited the links, now less hideous)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

khain

Mar 2, 2014
Scotland
Thanks for the links. Those stoves look quite nice. Shipping from America seems a bit excessive though. I've seen a few similar ones on eBay in the UK too. I'd quite like to try making a stove like that but don't really have the time or tools.

The thing is the Trangia is a good design. It sends the heat up towards the bottom of the pan whereas the side burning stoves send it outwards which isn't good for my narrow mug/pot. I'm curious why no manufacturer makes one pretty much the same as the Trangia but smaller and with aluminium. I'm sure it would be more popular than some of the weird and pricey titanium designs.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU

Just make a soda can stove from 2 red bull cans, you'll have a very small stove for free (if you drink red bull anyway :p) No shipping, no handling, only thing you need is a nail and a stanley cutter.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Ethanol corrodes aluminium over time, probably why you don't see many alcohol burners made out of the stuff.

Tonyuk

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Probably more accurate to say you don't see so many for sale. Apart from the white box stove, Fancy Feest. Most DIY burners are Al soda or beer cans. Just don;t store the alcohol in them.

khain

Mar 2, 2014
Scotland
Just make a soda can stove from 2 red bull cans, you'll have a very small stove for free (if you drink red bull anyway :p) No shipping, no handling, only thing you need is a nail and a stanley cutter.
Some instructions would be helpful.

All the soda can stove designs I've seen require metal bonding, as well as a fair amount of time to make. It makes more sense just to buy one for a tenner on eBay.

But a stove made out of a soda can isn't likely to be very sturdy.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU

All the soda can stove designs I've seen require metal bonding, as well as a fair amount of time to make. It makes more sense just to buy one for a tenner on eBay.

There are many designs, i basically just followed the design with the center open, and jets around the rim around the top. These things are actually pretty sturdy. Not saying you can stand on them in general, but just keep them in a pot (without fuel inside), and i don't see how you'd damage it. I actually stood on one (about 90kg) And it's still working well (2 Monster cans). No metal bonding needed, just top half inside the bottom half, and with a small hammer (or whatever you have, i've used a glass bottle in the past xD) just push the brim down and round it off.

Decided to look it up, this is about what i did: http://web.archive.org/web/20050911...iker.com/pages/gear/pepsiGstoveinstruct.shtml

khain

Mar 2, 2014
Scotland
There are many designs, i basically just followed the design with the center open, and jets around the rim around the top. These things are actually pretty sturdy. Not saying you can stand on them in general, but just keep them in a pot (without fuel inside), and i don't see how you'd damage it. I actually stood on one (about 90kg) And it's still working well (2 Monster cans). No metal bonding needed, just top half inside the bottom half, and with a small hammer (or whatever you have, i've used a glass bottle in the past xD) just push the brim down and round it off.

Decided to look it up, this is about what i did: http://web.archive.org/web/20050911...iker.com/pages/gear/pepsiGstoveinstruct.shtml

Thanks but I'd rather pay £10 than try to even read that page let alone follow what it says. It looks a lot of work. I noticed it mentioned using JB-Weld as well as something called Krazy glue.

How do you get the top half inside the bottom half if they're the same size?

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock

This is one of my favourite penny stove videos on YouTube. Not for the production quality, or even the instructions, but because he very sensibly and easily makes a penny stove using normal everyday tools, and has it lit, all in less than 6 minutes. When I finally get myself bit of time to play, and a couple of cans, this is the way my first one will come together...

https://youtu.be/IJU_8_yB5AE

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE