Gor tex lined boots advice wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I plan to do a fair bit of walking this year, mostly hills and uneven terrain and am think about getting a dedicated pair of boots.

For my bushcrafting I tend to use hi tec magnums as I have been using them for years however i find they get a bit uncomfortable on long distance walks.

Anyway I am after some advice on people's experience of gor tex lined boots.
Having not used them before I want to get a feel for people's view on how comfy they are and whether some of the online comments I've seen about them retaining sweat and moisture are true.
I am planning on using them mainly through spring, summer and autumn in the uk so there will be a mix of temperatures and weather conditions and will likely be going from warm dry lowlands to cold damp highlands in the same day.

Any thought greatly appreciated.

Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've used Goretex and non Goretex boots for years and generally only buy Goretex for walking in. My walking shoes are non Goretex as water often goes over the top and I want them to dry quicker but I find with boots and gaitors I don't get the same problem and generally want to stop the water seeping through the fabric. You will get lots of conflicting reviews on this.

When it comes to boot choice, if you can stretch to them the Saloman Quest 4Ds are excellent, very light and comfortable and give really good grip. I moved away from heavy boots years ago after working through several other big brands like Meindl. The Salomans are on my list of "will replace if lost or breaks".

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Lowa Uplander, fantastic feather weight goretex boots with with loads of support. I'll never go back to heavy military boots again.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I've used Goretex and non Goretex boots for years and generally only buy Goretex for walking in. My walking shoes are non Goretex as water often goes over the top and I want them to dry quicker but I find with boots and gaitors I don't get the same problem and generally want to stop the water seeping through the fabric. You will get lots of conflicting reviews on this.

When it comes to boot choice, if you can stretch to them the Saloman Quest 4Ds are excellent, very light and comfortable and give really good grip. I moved away from heavy boots years ago after working through several other big brands like Meindl. The Salomans are on my list of "will replace if lost or breaks".

Funnily the 4D's are on my shortlist for gor tex boots.
I'm with you on the move away from heavy boots, my magnums are great in cold weather and slogging through muck and bogs but not ideal for day long treks.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got my first pair of gore tex lined boots, a few months ago, as I prefer the unlined one's. Though having said this, I wore Altberg field & fell for many years, these are sympatex lined, & I have pounded many miles of tarmac in them, they did get warm, but then they were well polished, which probably affected the breathability of them.

Rob

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i've had several pairs of goretex boots over the years. my biggest problem with them is that my heals wear through the linning after only a couple of outings and then they are useless (i have weird feet). another thing i have noticed (and this is with my work boots, goretex lined, leather chainsaw boots). i try and look after my boots and, as such, keep them well treated with dubbin. because of this, and a goretex lining, the moisture has nowhere to go. my feet are dry but there is a real build up of moisture between the leather and the lining. granted, this is a pair of boots that are worn 6 days a week, 9 hrs a day. but it is very noticeable during the winter as the boots never really warm up.
just my take and, at the end of the day, it is what you find comfy.

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
I've got goretex lined boots. I prefer my fabric Solomon's and rarely wear my leather Scarpas. I also but lined approach shoes. I love them and wouldn't go back to unlined. Only problem I've ever had is my toe wearing through the lining but that took a while...

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Cheers all, sounding like I may have to take the plunge.
I'm looking at gor tex as I really hate having wet feet on extended walks. The real worry I had was sweat building up in the lining but sounds like it is less of an issue than I thought.
Not a huge fan of leather walking boots so shouldn't have an issue trapping moisture between lining and boot.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Goretex boots are okay provided you look after them well. They need to be clean and proofed to work well. The lining will not breathe if the outside of the boot is gopping and soaked, this includes fabric boots. After a few days of use i always find the goretex retains more moisture than unlined boots, leading to damp feet. Also, the biggest drama i have with goretex boots is that when they do get soaked through, they're almost impossible to dry properly in the field / hike etc,,, this will increase the chance of blisters, whereas an unlined pair will dry out with a few sock changes.

The solomons your thinking about are excellent boots with a trainer like feeling, brilliant for longer stretches of walking, but very narrow fitting (make sure to try on) the insole also isnt up to much. If your looking for a good unlined boot i would heavily recommend the altberg sneakers. again very slipper like but without the goretex lining. If you can get yourself to richmond where the factory is they'll fit them to your feet.

Tonyuk

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
+1 for Salomon 4D Quest. Really comfy summer boot that I use through summer months in mountains. As you are after a pair for 3 season use, I can highly recommend these. As others have mentioned, goretex can be a pain if not maintained but this is the same on all goretex boots. Keep them clean after use and regularly condition the outer, don't forget to give the inner a clean, and they should be fine for a very long time.
Horses for courses on the age old 'to goretex or not' question that only you can decide in the conditions you'll use them in.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

markjohnlang

Sep 12, 2013
stroud
I find gore tex liners don't last, make my feet hot in the summer and when they you get water overtopping get wet take twice as long to dry - horrible. I prefer unlined leather boots with sealskin socks when required - these last a few years but at least they are replaceable, dont like wearing them but they have proved ablessing on trips to Scotland, or surplus goretex liners which are good as well. So my advice steer clear of goretex lined boots, however the difficulty is finding boots without the liners!!! Mark Lang

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
I've had a pair of Hanwag Special Forces LX boots that are non Goretex leather boots (leather lined) that I 've been wearing for a few months now and I'm pretty impressed with them. I wear them everyday and have used them when out walking for D of E expeditions. So far they have only let a tiny amount of water in once and that was my fault for not waxing the tongue area properly (they dried very quickly). Otherwise they have been great, not too heavy and very comfortable.
I've had Goretex boots in the past but apart from a pair of Karrimor KSB's that I had about 25 years ago ( I loved those boots) all the rest have only lasted about 6 months.

lottolearn

Mar 18, 2013
Oxford
In my experience boots with a waterproof membrane are great in late autumn, winter and early spring, but as soon as the weather warms up the membrane makes the boots feel too hot on your feet. You're better off having two pairs of cheaper boots, one with a waterproof membrane and one without and wear them according to the season rather than trying to find one expensive pair to wear all year round - there's no such thing as an all year round jacket or pair of boots.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to take the plunge and am now the proud owner of a pair of soloman 4D's.
I short period of breaking in will be happening in the next few weeks but wore them in anger for the first time today on an hour or so's easy hike and no complaints so far.

6bfdc14fd2d8ffc8a8736aa2d1565709.jpg

Cheers, Hamster

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
I am now onto my second pair of Saloman 4D's and have never been able to fault them, however I have just gone out and bought a pair of Scarpa R-Evolution GTX and wow what a difference. A true three season hill boot, firmer mid-sole than the Salomans, less side flex than the Salomans and every bit as comfortable out of the box as the Salomans. Predominantley bought for fell walking I will be using them on some gentle walks to start with in preparation of a longer walk to, and the ascent of, Scafell later on in June. Will be interesting to see how they match up against the 4D's.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
There are pros and cons.
With a goretex lining you can go for a much lighter fabric boot. However, if like me you have sweaty feet, I find that by the end of the day, even with light exertion my feet are wet with sweat. This can be offset with good wool socks. However, as one poster has said, it you're going to be getting your goretex boots muddy and sopping wet on the outside then the lining isn't going to be working effectively anyway. And you need to keep the goretex lining clean - if it's regularly getting grimed from sweaty feet, it will progressively get less effective and you are going to have to wash the whole boot not just brush off the outside. And if you do get your boots wet inside it going to make days to dry them out.
Some years ago I was walking the Camino to Santiago de Compostela and due to one of the bridges being washed out due to recent flooding, I was trying to cross a river on a makeshift structure. Being a clumsy prat I fell in. I missed a days walking as even after drying overnight, the boots were sopping. And even the next couple of days after (when the terrain was easier) I walked in sandals as the boots were very damp. That wouldn't have been a problem with a leather boot! However, the boots were very light weight and as I was walking a long distance the weight saving was a major advantage.

Like wise I've never had a problem with getting wet feet with properly treated leather boots - even when walking in the pouring Cumbrian rain and trekking through boggy ground.

So I have leather and goretex lined fabric boots and I use them in different circumstances. I also have unlined fabric boots and they are great for warmer weather walking. If they get wet, they quickly dry out and it's not a problem my feet getting wet - I can change my socks. Obviously, if it is cold, you want to be keeping your feet dry.

Sorry for such a long reply and for not giving a definitive answer - I guess what I'm saying is different boots are good in different circumstances. Be aware of the different properties of different boots and choose accordingly depending where and when you'll be wearing them.
If I could only have one pair of boots for everything (heaven forbid!!), I'd have the lightest pair of unlined leather boots I could find that gave good support and allowed room for two pairs of wool socks. That said I actually find myself using a pair of goretex lined trail shoes more than any other footwear I own!

With Boots there are two trails of thought.

First:
Admit your feet are going to be wet when hiking and plan for it.
So get light weight boots that are very quick drying, and have thin socks.
Then on an evening when you stop, Dry your feet let them reath for a bit and put on a dry pair of shoes.

Second:
Buy Goretex Boots,
remembering waterproof boots are only as waterproof as they are high,
and they are like a carrier bag, if you get water in them they are
designed not to let it out, in lay many terms sweat or water vapour is
smaller then water droplets the goretex only lets the smaller bits
through.
Gore tex boots are hotter then retain more heat, same as if you had a bag on your feet all day.
They are harder to dry when the insides are wet.
As most goretex boots have the membrane on the inside, the leather outter
still gets wet (You just don't feel it) In winter this will mean the
leather outters on your boots can freeze.

Just some food for thought.......

Personally I have goretex boots, however I can see the advantages of boots that are quick drying.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have two pair of gortex boots Meindl Burma pro's and a pair of tactical 511 high leg both pair very breathable and comfortable, I also had a pair of Soloman GTX pro and they lasted for about 9 years with no issues with wet or tired feet, what I would suggest is good quality socks such as 1000 mile which have helped me bag a good few Munroes and some fans in Wales,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE