Opinel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardyal

Jun 11, 2015
Cheshire
I'm sorry if some of you lot have heard enough about Opinel knives... But I have just a very quick question.

I have bought an Opinel No. 8 with a beechwood handle in Carbone, I plan to use the olive oil and oven trick to darken the handle, and to leave the blade in a potato overnight, apparently that is a tried and tested way to force a patina on a knife, but... How do I "rust proof" the pivot? I heard Vaseline is good to put on it but I'd like a more permanent fix. I'm not able to take it to bits and put it back together, being limited with tools.

So yeah, how do I patina, or keep the rust away from the pivot of an Opinel folder? I know they're cheap but I'd like to keep one for as long as possible.

Cheers!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I sanded and oiled the handle on mine, then just allowed it to pick up grime, sweat, skin oils etc ~ I now 'protective' oil it ... erm ... irregularly :eek:

You don't need to potato it, just wipe* the blade clean and dry it and, given time, the patina will form anyway.

I've never had an issue with pivot rust :D

* Non abrasive wipe.

Beardyal

Jun 11, 2015
Cheshire
Oh that's great to hear, thank you :) That makes it even nicer, and simpler to have as an every day knife for work. I can't believe how amazing they are, I just sit there... Looking at it. Haha

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Never had a problem with rust on the pivot.

Damp swelling the wood so it is hard to open and close the blade, that has been an issue.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have never had any rust or sticking probs with my number 9 carbon - and it lives full time in my belt pouch with NO work on it other than the occasional stropping...
Gotta love Oppies!
Mora for fool proof fixed blades, Oppies for folders - cheap effective, easy maintenance and their own weird cache :)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I wrapped mine in a bit of kitchen roll and soaked with vinegar, gave it a great dark patina. I've never had the pivot or ring rust though, these may be stainless.

Tonyuk

Beardyal

Jun 11, 2015
Cheshire
That's all good to hear, everything I hear about them is encouraging, and they spread like a bug, my gf and my boss now want opinels. One little worry after reading around on the site... I watched a video of a guy rubbing olive oil on the wood handle, and then baking it, apparently olive oil can go rancid after a while? If it does, would baking it change this at all? I love the look but I might just go with boiled linseed, like my axe and other knife, it just seems a bit too red on hickory, and I don't know what linseed looks like on beech wood.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Tomato sauce (sachet stuff works better than from a bottle and it's easier to stick the knife into to boot) works better than a potato.

Be aware that your blade will be very dark after 12 hours and will likely need a good strop to get a proper edge back.

Beardyal

Jun 11, 2015
Cheshire
I would never have even thought about using tomato sauce haha. And yes I have many wooden things in the kitchen, I don't know why I thought any different about a handle on a knife xD.

I can't wait to get this thing all sorted out nicely, thanks!

sharpangle

Sep 2, 2015
N Ireland
Did the sanding and reshaping the handle on one of my No8s. Finished it with a rub of dark coloured furniture renovators wood wax and then a couple of coats of boiled linseed. Turned out great. Would post a pic but not at home at the moment. Great knives and outstanding value at the price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE