camp sites that allow open fires in pembrokshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
can anyone recommend any camp sites that allow open fires in or near to Pembrokeshire

I am planning to take a tent and my young son camping. I would love to find a site that wont mind some bushcraft type activates like open fire cooking. It does not need to have a lot in the way of facilities but does need to be assessable by car

many thanks in advance

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Try asking Mr. Google with the argument "campsites pembrokeshire fires".

Just did it and the first 3 or 4 links should help you with your search.

Thanks I never thought of that

to be fair those guides can be a little misleading. Although they say camp fires allowed they mean BBQ's not necessarily open fires. If you get onto the individual camp websites they sometimes state raised bbqs only so the fields are not scorched

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Have a look for cast iron barbecues, the type that stand on 3 legs. You can fill with logs, or use charcoal for cooking then put logs on after and sit round it like a proper fire. I use one and most campsites are fine with it.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Have a look for cast iron barbecues, the type that stand on 3 legs. You can fill with logs, or use charcoal for cooking then put logs on after and sit round it like a proper fire. I use one and most campsites are fine with it.

448937_R_Z020

well I had seen the bucket type bbq and thought of using that like you suggested. but I will have a look for the cast iron type

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hang on, I'll nick a pic.

Like this. Most of the body isn't cast iron, but they're cheap off the Bay and last well.

image_zpsu8bmvmnb.jpeg

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
This place might work for you.

http://www.typarke.co.uk/camping-holidays/campsite-facilities/

If you are not going to burn the grass, many campsites are happy for you to have fires off the ground. Although not a true "open fire" - I've spent most of the weekend cooking on one of these cheap Chinese hobo/honey stoves and they make a pretty good "bushcraft TV";

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012NHG1CS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Weighs 600g, folds flat and at 19.5cm x 16.5cm assembled is one of the bigger examples and with a supply of thumb sized (or bigger) sticks you can get a decent bed of embers and keep it going long enough to do proper cooking. On Friday, I had it going for 3 hours to cook a beef stew for three people and this morning it held a full sized cast iron frying pan to do a fry up for three.

A concrete block or a couple of bricks is ideal to keep any hot embers that escape from scorching the grass but otherwise, a heat proof plumbers mat or a folding alloy windshield underneath does the job.

Hope you and the boy have a good trip.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I was worried cast iron might be a little heavy but I will defiantly have a look

Always defiant. Bloody spellcheck, it's a pain isn't it?

If you're walking in these aren't an option, if you're unloading the car at a campsite, then they're great. I've even taken the grill off and put a big frying pan on to cook seasoned fried chicken. Once everyone is full, and beers and wine on the go, throw logs in.

Stood

Feb 21, 2012
Lancashire
Hi Mr P,

The following site has lots of info on campsites in the uk (I guess the clue is in the name!).

Ukcampsite.co.uk

It has a searchable site database where you tick the options you want, one of them is 'open fires' and the like.

I have used it often for 'arm chair' research when using my camper van etc and it's very good lots of data all in one place.

Boots

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Hi Mr P,

The following site has lots of info on campsites in the uk (I guess the clue is in the name!).

Ukcampsite.co.uk

It has a searchable site database where you tick the options you want, one of them is 'open fires' and the like.

I have used it often for 'arm chair' research when using my camper van etc and it's very good lots of data all in one place.

Boots

I maybe missing something here so maybe you can educate me

but on ukcampsites I can not see any criteria for "open fires" the only option I can see is for "camp fires" and that refers to BBQ type fires

Last edited:

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
well reading further the explanation does mention open fires and some of the sites do have fire pits. but using the search is not as straight forward as I would like. I may just have been unlucky but this first couple of sites I looked into did not allow open fires. now I have widened my search a little there are some site with fire pits. the site linked by
Nomad64 looks good and could well be worth a visit. there are some fantastic looking site around the Pembrokeshire coast so nice65's bbq idea may work for some of the other sites

I also found some bushcraft activates at this site http://www.topofthewoods.co.uk/#!times-and-prices/drh03 :D

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
well reading further the explanation does mention open fires and some of the sites do have fire pits. but using the search is not as straight forward as I would like. I may just have been unlucky but this first couple of sites I looked into did not allow open fires. now I have widened my search a little there are some site with fire pits. the site linked by
Nomad64 looks good and could well be worth a visit. there are some fantastic looking site around the Pembrokeshire coast so nice65's bbq idea may work for some of the other sites

I also found some bushcraft activates at this site http://www.topofthewoods.co.uk/#!times-and-prices/drh03 :D

I think you are the first to pick up on that - the first session is yet to be run ... I start next bank-holiday with a trial run with invited guests:)
The site is very good and the owners very friendly ... but no open fires - firepits and BBQs only - to avoid damage.

Last edited:

bearbait

You could also look at some of the smaller woodburning stoves, both enclosed (when you cook on the top) and open when you see and feed the flames directly. The latter tend to be breakdown so will fit a pack easily. Raising the latter from the ground to prevent scorching is important and I think some ideas have been presented here.

An enclosed stove is good as I believe it makes better use of the wood than a fire, the smoke doesn't blow in your face wherever you (I) sit, you can get as close as needed, you can likely use it if BBQs are permitted, but admittedly you don't get Bush TV.

Some of the sites I researched for my Snowdonia trip like you to buy the firewood from the farm itself. Which is fair enough.

One site I stayed on in Dartmoor-ish permitted open fires. But I noticed that some campers would build a brand-new fire (scar) just a few feet from an existing fire scar and stone ring (duh?) instead of utilising that so one can understand site owners' concerns.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
A quick cheap and easy solution (though not always acceptable) is a large roasting tray from the local pound store. Used as a fire pit, sat up on something to stop the grass/ground underneath it from burning at least shows 'willing' in a situation where you are not sure what is and what isn't allowed. Very easy to put out and remove ashes too. As a bonus, when an actual fire is allowed it makes a reasonable reflector or rain shelter for the fire too.

D.B.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wish you every success with it John

I did a "Trial Run" today for the owners' friends and family - it went very well with lots of plants to talk about, tracks to identify and ended with flint and steel firelighting demo and a bit of nettle cord making...
It looks like my summer weekends are spoken for....
They will supply fire pits and tripod cookers if you ask...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE