Skrama

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Only if you sell me the nessy back. Oh hold on the skrama does all the nessy does and cheaper.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Im completely sold.
I dont own anything remotely similar (no parangs, machetes or even a knife over 4") apart from Fiskars 'hook, so that's that taken care of.

Some of the item descriptions on the Varusteleka website make for an enjoyable read too. :D

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I converted the British Army Bayonet frog to Molle compatible. Easy done though I am sure some could make an even neater job. No sewing required:
IMGP7578_1.jpg

Anyone got their hands on one yet? Tell us what you think.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Bite that bullet and get both, and tell us what you think. The Pukko's come in two lengths. The Skrama come "hell" sharp so I would think the Puukko's would too. At the price they are work knives and something that you won't mind getting down and dirty with. There are some jobs that our usual preciouses just shouldn't do. Think the Puukko's would be the biz for work and no worries.

I'm a Skrama enthusiast now. Time someone else took us the Puukko mantlet and gave it a whirl.
Don't forget the 10% BUSHCRAFTUK discount.

Last edited:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Doesn't the same company also make a pukko now as well.Anyone got one and have any experience with it?

I refer the honorable gentleman to my post #4 in the thread :)
I'm not a heavy user, so maybe there is someone better placed than I to comment in that situation, but very happy so far.

Is the 10% discount still going for Varusteleka then?

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Damn! Why did I read this thread? With willpower as strong as over-diluted jelly, I was bound to press the 'add to cart' button. Still, it does look as though it'll be a very useful tool and I've got a whole load of brambles to clear, so I might as well enjoy it.

Curses and thanks in equal measure to the devil who made me aware of this Skrama. I might have to get busy with the leather to make a passable sheath for it when it arrives, though.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Did you us capitals only?? Maybe it has expired? Seems the stocks are getting lower as the brown sheath option is only available as a separate. Think the restock is in production now????
Anyhow it would be good if that 10% was still available as it pays for the post at least. Maybe just as a seasonal promotion?
Still to me a bargain even without.

Anyone here know for sure??

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Mine arrived yesterday in its little plastic sheath. It is very sharp and nicely made for the money. An initial try-out left me reaching for my axe; I don't know whether this is because I haven't got used to the scale of the Skrama or whether intuitively I just don't like it. I suppose that yes, it could be useful but it is a compromise, melding together a number of separate cutting tools that I use. I found that it's OK at splitting and it's OK at feathering but both things are done better by the tools that I carry habitually when in the woods.

I will try it out more extensively this coming weekend to see if it really is worth space in my pack and to work out which of the normal battery of tools will be left behind if I choose to take it. So, so far for me, this gets a slightly reserved two cheers out of three...

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I did say it wasn't an axe.
Compliment it with a Silky saw and for the same weight as a Small Forest Axe it will build you a camp, though not the log cabin. It will clear all the brush and thicket away which small knife and axes are poor at. For a small party then one carries an axe, another a spade, another a large bow saw and someone a Skrama; have it all covered then. I like to think of it as a thinking man's Golock, so ask yourself is a golock something you would take?

For ultralight travel then a small knife and baton has its merit, but for sustained work that isn't exactly efficient.

The "lets find some thick log and bash my way through it" test is to me pretty laughable, but so often seen on y tube. Not saying everyone has that mentality, but it is all too common. Better to match the blade to what habitat is most likely to be encountered. What jobs really need doing and what is the best tool to get the job done? How many compromised do I have to make?

Anyhow, the more feedback the more informed everyone will be to make their own judgement. Is there a place for the Skrama in their cutting armoury? There is in mine.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I did say it wasn't an axe.
Compliment it with a Silky saw and for the same weight as a Small Forest Axe it will build you a camp, though not the log cabin. It will clear all the brush and thicket away which small knife and axes are poor at. For a small party then one carries an axe, another a spade, another a large bow saw and someone a Skrama; have it all covered then. I like to think of it as a thinking man's Golock, so ask yourself is a golock something you would take?

For ultralight travel then a small knife and baton has its merit, but for sustained work that isn't exactly efficient.

The "lets find some thick log and bash my way through it" test is to me pretty laughable, but so often seen on y tube. Not saying everyone has that mentality, but it is all too common. Better to match the blade to what habitat is most likely to be encountered. What jobs really need doing and what is the best tool to get the job done? How many compromised do I have to make?

Anyhow, the more feedback the more informed everyone will be to make their own judgement. Is there a place for the Skrama in their cutting armoury? There is in mine.

All very true! I will just have to spend a little more time getting to know what it does and doesn't do; like I said, my earlier post were initial thoughts, rather than a definite decision about it. I'll give it a few months using it in a variety of different situations and then see how I feel. I do use a parang a lot for a number of tasks, so it'll probably fall into that category.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Here are a selection of tools that I've collected over the years for my personal use. (I have billhooks, ditch knives, and chainsaws too.)
IMGP7371.jpg

IMGP7530.jpg

They're for camp, hide, construction, clearing pathways and travelling light.
My first was the Blackjack Marauder II circa 1990, top in picture. That I could make do a whole host of things; beat the hell out of it. Its beefy enough to do European woodland. Then it was stolen. So I bought a Small Forest Axe which that too I could do some serious work, and I've felled a few good sized trees over the years. A most excellent tool. Being an axe there were things it could do better than the Marauder, but there were also some things it couldn't. Things I missed.
I tried an assortment of other stuff, machetes and parangs, to fill the gap the axe left. A good one was the Ben Orford Snedding parang. I then got another Marauder (a lot of searching), and realised how heavy it was and how out of shape I am; I also found I missed the axe!!!
I've also carried a few 'big" knives; I find them vey inefficient. Traditional machete's have too much vibration on anything hard for my liking. Kukris best left to Gurkhas.

So you can see why I am delighted to find the Skrama, as it scratches an itch! Fills a niche in my cutting armoury; a thinking man's golock. I can pick and choose what to take for any given outing.
A lot of how is personal taste and what anyone is familiar with; I've taken to the Skrama straight off. Its strange at first to change from one main tool to another. Practice makes perfect. There isn't one tool that does it all... maybe a light sabre!!

In truth non are full sized forestry tools. A Small Frest Axe does not have the power of a full sized felling axe, nor splitting capability of a full sized splitting maul. And all of them don't compete with powered machinery.

Last edited:

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I've had mine for a few months now and so far no complaints except that with the dangler it bumps my knees when wearing it in my belt. But that's my Dachshund legs so I usually keep it strapped to my pack.
The double grind really works and allows me to do anything from chopping to feather sticks and anything in between.
I can recommend it to anyone.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have had the Pukko for some time. I have the 110 version. It is called the Jaakaripuukko (with lots of dots above the letters) or Jaeger puukko for us non Finnish speakers. It is the same type of construction as the skrama and 4mm thick and same hardness and same metal. the grind is at 23 degrees which is pretty much the standard for puukkos' and is a scandi with a secondary micro bevel to protect the knife edge. It cuts into wood very well and is good for feather sticks and the such and is also good for game and food prep. It is easy to clean and the sheath is excellent. A leather dangler with plastic insert but it does not finish there it is partially wet formed to hold the knife in place but also has an extra press stud to totally close off the knife so that if a soldier has it on his webbing and belt kit he can lock it in place without any fear of loosing it but if he is using it a lot and the press stud is unfastened then the knife is still not going to be easily lost but is easy to reach and pull out. It still has a drain hole in the bottom so no fear of water build up as well. The factory finish which has been left on protects the knife and add to the patina which comes with age.

It chops though small saplings with ease and does a good job of fine batoning to prepare for the feather sticks. It has the same rubberised handle and the grip is good especially for cold or wet hands. So great in the arctic. It is a no nonsense blade that works well. I have absolutely no problems with using the knife in any conditions even close to salt water although it would need a lot of looking after I know it would still handle the job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE