Trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MonsieurDig

Jan 6, 2015
United Kingdom
Just looking through the forum and don't see many articles on them.

I'm going wild camping in Snowdonia in a couple of weeks and normally when I'm up on Dartmoor which is my local place I just wear some old dickies combats but I'm planning on walking up Snowden and won't have the luxury of just getting in my car and driving home if things get wet/muddy.

So I'm thinking fairly heavy cotten trousers might not be the way to go but when looking up 'hiking' trousers there's a huge range and a massive difference in prices. So just wondering if anyone had any real world advice

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I did an awful lot of long distance walking (including the hills and mountains) I just used MOD lightweights and carried waterproof overtrousers.
The poly cotton trousers wore well and dried quickly - the OTs kept the trousers dryish and clean...

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Haglofs Mid Fjell. lightweight, well thought out hiking trousers. i literally typed 'haglofs mid fjell sale' into google and found them at half price! ive been wearing them on every outing into the forest and even up Snowdon last month in very windy rain lashed conditions on the way up. As per traditonal north wales weather it was bright sun on the way down with no wind and they were dry before i got back to the carpark!

they also do very well in the forest, with good material which is kinda stretchy for good movement and the usual cargo style pocket lay out. the hems have draw cords for tick country to. i highly recommend them.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
If you're after a 'cheap' price go for crag hoppers. Pretty good for walking in, lightweight and fairly quick to dry. There are more expensive walking trousers out there but I assume you don't want to pay upwards of £50! Have you not got any wetproof trousers or salopettes from your time walking Dartmoor? If so, they'll work for N Wales.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Just don't go for full cotton ones. Those take ages to dry and can cause issues due to that.

I also wouldn't really go for waterproof trousers, since waterproof trousers, in my experience, leave me more wet than just getting wet and letting my pants dry. Waterproof's practically don't breathe (even goretex) when wet, and the condensation and lack of airflow and trapped heat just creates a very uncomfortable environment (again, just my opinion).

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Pretty much all I wear now are 5.11 Taclite or Stryke. The Taclites are a thin polycotton that dries very quickly, allows easy movement, and have a hem that can fit a bit of shock cord or a lace to cinch them in. Them and some waterproof over trousers might work. Prices seem to have risen, they're now at about £40, last pair I bought was £34. They're good though, you'll like them.

The Stryke are thicker, elasticated material that allows lots of comfortable movement, but don't dry quickly and can't be cinched in around your boots.

Monspoonmaker

Mar 15, 2014
Silures
If you are looking specifically at hiking trousers my experience over the years has lead me to the following:

Expensive but VERY hard wearing. Will keep off a shower but will dry pretty quickly if soaked = Haglofs Rugged Mountain Pants.

Slightly cheaper (it's relative!) not quite as hard wearing but dry even quicker = Montane Terra Pants.

Good value for money, hard wearing and an alternative to Fjallraven stuff = Pinewood Finnveden Pants.

A left field choice but I find they work brilliantly in wet weather = Rohan Dryliners. They look like and feel like normal trousers but have never left me wet.

Really cheap but becoming hard to find but worth their weight.... Austrian army ripstop greens. Try Endicotts by telephone as they might have a pair hiding away.

With most of these the RRP is eye watering but if you keep a look out for sales and on ebay thay can be picked up a lot cheaper.

Good luck in your search

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Screwfix's "site" brand are good quality polycotton trousers for cheap. A pair of overtrousers are essential on the hills really if it starts lashing it down.

Tonyuk

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Helikon SFU/BDU trousers? Very inexpensive, light, dry quickly. I tend to use mine for working in woods/wild camping (read 'workhorse')rather than my Haglofs RMP's.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I think you are as well off with Craghoppers as anything. They dry very quickly.

I have both types of 5.11 mentioned above and think they are very good but not what I wear walking. I tend to wear them for Practical Shooting competitions. They are heavier than I want for walking and so won't breath as well.

Helikon pants suck. They are cheap and look like 5.11 trousers but they aren't a patch on the quality. The crutch stitching gives out for a hobby. Restitched mine twice then gave up on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
When I did an awful lot of long distance walking (including the hills and mountains) I just used MOD lightweights and carried waterproof overtrousers.
The poly cotton trousers wore well and dried quickly - the OTs kept the trousers dryish and clean...

exactly what I use and used Ron hill tricksters in the past

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Although the good old cotton DPM combat pants do the outdoor stuff very well, I got some Montane terra pants for xmas and they are super lightweight and supple compared to anything else I use for walking. Dry exceptionally quick too. Providing they wear well I will be getting some more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE