The first thing you do to new boots...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
My dad always used to say that the first thing you should do to a new pair of leather shoes or boots is polish them. Because he said it, I have done it over the years without ever really knowing why. Shoes have received a polish and boots, particularly outdoors ones, have been given a daubing with Nikwax/Leder Gris or whatever outdoorsy preparation was to hand. Is this right? Is it a good idea to cover new leather with oily protection? Does it help preserve the leather of the footwear that bit longer or is it an out-of-date habit that is actually not much use?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and reasons on the subject!

Tot ziens!
Richard

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
No point they should be protected from new, cant recall any boots or shoes i have bought saying otherwise.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I find one of the best way to break in (leather) boots is to absolutely drench them in water then go for a reasonable length walk (waterproof socks optional!). It seems to really help them mould to your feet.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Polish is just several types of what is basically petrol mixed with a dye & light wax. There are far better leather care products out now, i like leder gris myself. If the boots are new the first thing i would do is get them worn in.

Tonyuk

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
My dad always used to say that the first thing you should do to a new pair of leather shoes or boots is polish them. Because he said it, I have done it over the years without ever really knowing why. Shoes have received a polish and boots, particularly outdoors ones, have been given a daubing with Nikwax/Leder Gris or whatever outdoorsy preparation was to hand. Is this right? Is it a good idea to cover new leather with oily protection? Does it help preserve the leather of the footwear that bit longer or is it an out-of-date habit that is actually not much use?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and reasons on the subject!

Tot ziens!
Richard

Wise man your dad !. My dad did his war service in the guards(Welsh)so all footwear in our house had to be polished, however he did say once about urinating on them to soften them up quickly.

Rob

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I find one of the best way to break in (leather) boots is to absolutely drench them in water then go for a reasonable length walk (waterproof socks optional!). It seems to really help them mould to your feet.

This does work and then cover with polish. Told to do this many years ago and still do.

On the original question I put polish on new shoes and leave the polish on a while just because I find they shine up much better.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I was taught never to use brushes on boots only cloths.
A good soaking and "a long slow break-in" obviously work = but WATER???
Army boots Docs hillwalking boots, all got hot warm water in them, prior to me moulding them to my feet.
I have heard of the urination before, boots today still need polished in, helps leather suppleness.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Plus 1 to this for leather boots.

Regarding polish, I like it with full grain leather (just because I like to loo good) but many modern outdoor boots are squed or rough-out leather; just a quick wire brushing to clean them when needed.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
"boots today still need polished in, helps leather suppleness"
not to mention waterproofing

I find "waterproofing" to be a myth. Water always gets in that same big hole in the top of the boot that I stick my foot through, but drain holes near the bottom help.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The reason for asking is that I have recently taken delivery of some Norwegian M-77 boots to replace my Lundhags that finally bit the dust after many, many years of great service.

Should I soak them in warm water and go for a 'moulding walk' before drying them (s-l-o-w-l-y) and then putting on the Leder Gris/Nikwax or should I just wear them in over a few days/weeks before slapping on any unguent? It seems that the leather they're made from should be pretty resilient, whichever choice I make...

Thanks for your contributions and advice!

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
M77 boots. Fill With water and wait until water seeps trough (it will). Then take a long walk until they are "dry". Set aside until real dry, and apply shoe polish and/or dubbin of choise.

M77 to replace Lundhags:confused:.
The M77 are now prodused in the Baltic I believe and are kind of hit and miss. Don`t be surprised if Your soles just disintegrate.
Only reason I use mine is that I have several pairs given to me by Our kind government (I`ve been Lucky With mine though. Older Production).
Seeing the poor quality of todays M77 boots I would never buy them nor recommend them to others.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Having a pee in boots is pointless, it was a gag done on sprogs to have them walking about in gopping boots. If the leather needs softened you can use neetsfoot oil, but this can over-soften them, leading to less support. Getting them soaked then going for a run worked well on the older boots but i havent seen much of an improvement with the new ones, boots with goretex would just take ages to dry doing this.

Tonyuk

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I've been taught to soak, walk, then put wax on when still wet. The water evaporates quicker on the inside and pulls the wax into the leather with it. When dry, brush off the remaining wax, then buff. This was for swedish M90 boots quite similar to norwegian M77s apart from the soles which are not so good on the M90

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
M77 boots. Fill With water and wait until water seeps trough (it will). Then take a long walk until they are "dry". Set aside until real dry, and apply shoe polish and/or dubbin of choise.

M77 to replace Lundhags:confused:.
The M77 are now prodused in the Baltic I believe and are kind of hit and miss. Don`t be surprised if Your soles just disintegrate.
Only reason I use mine is that I have several pairs given to me by Our kind government (I`ve been Lucky With mine though. Older Production).
Seeing the poor quality of todays M77 boots I would never buy them nor recommend them to others.

I bought my pair from Alfa, a Norwegian company, I believe, who, as far as I can judge still make them for that country's military. As I said, that's what I've been lead to believe; I hope that some of it is true.

In terms of replacing my Lundhags, it is really difficult and expensive to buy them in the U.K.. I couldn't get the model I wanted in the right size or preferred colour, which was disappointing. Alfa were both quick and helpful and, thus far (and it is only a few days in to the relationship...), the boots are comfortable and well-made. I'm sure that things may yet come unraveled, in which case, I'll have learned my lesson and will spend the greater sum of money and return to Lundhags - as long as I can get hold of the right size, model and colour...

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Having a pee in boots is pointless, it was a gag done on sprogs to have them walking about in gopping boots. If the leather needs softened you can use neetsfoot oil, but this can over-soften them, leading to less support. Getting them soaked then going for a run worked well on the older boots but i havent seen much of an improvement with the new ones, boots with goretex would just take ages to dry doing this.

Tonyuk

My dad refered to doing this in the Italian mountains during WW2, if they had new guys straight out of training & the cold would freeze boots when they were in the trucks, this helped to get them moving quickly.

Rob

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Put them on at night in the house with two big pairs of socks on to stretch them a bit . Then next day find a stream and walk up and Dow n it till soaked then go for a walk In them . Then leav to dry and then polish on with brush then off with cloth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE