Van conversions - anyone done one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
.................Yet more apologies.

Having now discussed this on a Motorhome forum of which I am a member, I am assured that you do need to re-register the vehicle as per the DVLA document I posted earlier.

I'll leave it to you to make your own decisions.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
It's seems to be an area of confusion last time the subject was discussed on the T4 forum it was the majority view that the DVLA didn't need to be informed.

The area of concern was more one of getting DVLA to accept that the Van had been converted enough to warrant reclassification.

If you're in any doubt then my advise would be to telephone DVLA and ask them for their current policy.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
It's seems to be an area of confusion last time the subject was discussed on the T4 forum it was the majority view that the DVLA didn't need to be informed.

The area of concern was more one of getting DVLA to accept that the Van had been converted enough to warrant reclassification.

If you're in any doubt then my advise would be to telephone DVLA and ask them for their current policy.

I think the statement on the www.gov.uk site pretty much covers it;

Statement
It is a legal requirement that all UK registered vehicles are classified correctly on the V5C log book.
All campervans, motor caravans and motorhomes fall into the DVLA category of "Motor Caravan".
If you have converted a van into a motor caravan then you must return the V5C to DVLA for
amendment.

But you are right, if in doubt, give them a ring.

diviy

Mar 23, 2016
swansea
If you register it as a motor caravan you can do 70 mph on motorways normal van limit is 60mph there are loads of issues doing it but all can be worked around had campers for 16 years now t25 pop top ,then a t4 lwb panel van ,I fully converted it to a full camper with pop top roof and then last july picked up a mint LT35 mwb hi top fully converted 109 bhp engine goes like stink .
Vw`s hold there prices very well scene tax is the problem everyone want a t4 or t5 but the van that`s gonna be the next big one is the Lt`s allready been offered double what i paid for it .
It all depends on base van dont get a mini bus to much glass get very cold with a panel van you can put windows where you want to .
If you want any advice pm your number helped build loads of van`s over the years cant do it now due to my back but I have a lot of knowledge and a load of contacts for parts etc

trubliphone

Mar 10, 2014
USA
For those of you wanting a vehicle that drives like a car but still fits a campervan, I'd highly recommend something along the lines of the VW "California Beach" edition. This is built on top of a T5. As far as I know, these are not imported into North America. But I owned a VW "Eurovan Weekender" edition (this is a T4 converted the same way as the 'beach") when living in the US.

The reason I liked it so much was that the camper additions didn't intrude into the space of the car nor its drivability. In car mode, it sat 7 passengers: 2 up front, 3 in the back bench seat, and 2 rear-facing seats just behind the front ones (one of these was removable; we usually just kept it in the garage). There was no wall of cabinets/stoves/fridges/etc. (which explains why the rear bench could still fit 3 passengers). Instead, there was a small cooler/fridge which fit under the rear-facing seat, pull-out storage beneath the bench seat, and a table that folded against the wall when not in use. This also meant that there was nothing adversely affecting visibility. And there was plenty of storage in the boot for camping gear.

When used as a camper, the rear bench would slide forward to form a bed for me and the wife. The roof would open up to form a bed for my 2 boys. The only inconvenience was not being able to use the table or easily access the fridge when the bench seat was in bed mode. If I were to do a self-conversion I would definitely go this route again.

Of course, the vehicle itself was a mechanical disaster and was always breaking down. But that had nothing to do w/ the actual conversion.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's a good vw classic van convertor/renovate up this way called Morecambe and Wize. It imports classics from California I believe where there's a good supply of classic vw campers out there. They then do a complete strip down to bare metal then rebuild to a fantastic standard. They even do all their own upholstery.

I'm not promoting them but take a look at their gallery to see what you can do with old vw campers. Cheapest option is over £36,000 but if you've got the spare cash and the inclination they're a quality operator IMHO.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Here's a free practical solution for a small estate/van/car - easily-made reclining armchair/s:
- take out front seat/s
- reorganise runners so the seats can be quickly reversed (captain seats won't fit in narrow vehicles)
= reclining armchair/s with enough legroom onto back seat/s for a good comfy sleep
+ rear-door tarp cover for dry cooking
= practical quick camper WITHOUT all those cramped manoeuvres & awkward reorganisation
- add a leisure battery & a 12-volt heated blanket = winter comfort

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE