Shining Cliff Woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Hi Matt,
It is essentially, a wood with two areas for camping, with no facilities. No clubs, no activities.

You can have a fire, but expect people walking through your campsite morning noon and night.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i know this is an old thread, but I was pondering if you have to join a club at the shinning cliff woods in order to actually pursue bushcraft hobbies, or is it more along the lines of just respecting the rules there and doing your own thing?

i appreciate your time!

exactly what silverhill said matt, it's a lovely place with some cracking camping spots. unfortunately you have to expect all sorts of people walking through the site at all hours. it's not somewhere that i'd camp out on my own

HTH

stuart

Matt_1992

Apr 2, 2012
Derbyshire
I see, cheers guys I appreciate the replies. In the case of camping alone I don't particularly have any pals that share the same interests as myself, what is the bushcraft community like up there in relation to newcomers?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I see, cheers guys I appreciate the replies. In the case of camping alone I don't particularly have any pals that share the same interests as myself, what is the bushcraft community like up there in relation to newcomers?

oh we're fairly friendly mate, watch out for ged though he tends to set fire to anything that stays still for too long :) have a look at the derbyshire group in the...erm....group section:rolleyes: we seem to be a bit lacking in organised meets at the moment but i'm sure that'll pick up in time.

whereabouts are you based matt?

cheers

stuart

Matt_1992

Apr 2, 2012
Derbyshire
oh we're fairly friendly mate, watch out for ged though he tends to set fire to anything that stays still for too long :) have a look at the derbyshire group in the...erm....group section:rolleyes: we seem to be a bit lacking in organised meets at the moment but i'm sure that'll pick up in time.

whereabouts are you based matt?

cheers

stuart

I'm living in the South Normanton area about nine miles East of the Shining Cliff Woods. Been looking for years, although admittedly not hard enough, for a group of people who enjoy Bushcraft. I'm heading up this Saturday at 1pm on-wards for the 'Leave no trace' day. Looking forward to meeting the people there. Is the Derbyshire group a club with membership or more like an informal group of friends so to speak that enjoy the same hobby?

Appreciate the reply,

Matt.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.......Is the Derbyshire group a club with membership or more like an informal group of friends so to speak that enjoy the same hobby?.....

sorry matt, i should have been clearer. the derbyshire group is a group on here, if you look near the top of the page there's a blue bar with a variety of drop down menus, click on the one that says "community" and then click on "groups" and you'll find it. no membership fees or anything like that, it's just a little area on the forum that's kinda specific to derbyshire.

cheers

stuart

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
These leave no trace days and bushcraft days ran by experts always make me chuckle as whenever i go up the following day theres that many traces i could tell you what they had for dinner ;) but what do i no theyv got a diploma in shelter building. Welcome to the forum mate im sure you will love it

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
These leave no trace days and bushcraft days ran by experts always make me chuckle as whenever i go up the following day theres that many traces i could tell you what they had for dinner ;) but what do i no theyv got a diploma in shelter building........

and a well deserved diploma it is too, some of those shelters have been standing for years :rolleyes: leave no trace.......:rofl:

Matt_1992

Apr 2, 2012
Derbyshire
Haha, great stuff. One of the people I rang to question about it stated that I needed to come along to the course in order to be aloud to camp there, as I only know a small amount about leaving no trace per-say, I guess it can do no harm :) And I had a look at the Derbyshire Group on here, do I need to speak with someone to join it or?

Cheers,

Matt.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Just click the join button on the front page of the group. The group dosnt apear in the main forum so you will have to go onto the derbyshire bushcrafters page to see if any camps are being planned etc.

Dean77

Dec 13, 2015
Derbyshire
Hi guys, I realise this thread is a few years old, but anyone still wild camping up at shining cliff? Just moved about 7 miles south of here and need to explore some new camp locations? Cheers, Dean :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE