Carinthia Defence 4 review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Just got my brand new Carinthia Defence 4 today and thought I would write a quick out-the-box review to try and answer a few of the questions I had when I was considering this bag.

the fist thing you notice is the quality of the compression sack, which is made of a nice watetproof material and has several compression straps made of strong webbing. My bag had obviously been compressed for some time but after a few shakes to get it into shape it just puffed up of its own accord. As has been said in every review the materials used on the bag are very nice and of a good quality as is the workmanship. Now size wise I opted for the 185 version. This was a bit of a gamble as I had had the old British army Arctic bag in a medium years ago and found it a tad too short, prefering the longer version instead. However, I thought I would take a gamble and it proved the correct decision. I'm a shade under 5'9", fairly broad shouldered and the 185 is spot on. Length wise it's perfect, just enough excess that it doesn't feel tight at all but not too much redundant space. Width wise, if I'm honest I'd have liked the few extra inches you get on the longer bag as i like a lot of wriggle room, but that said its fine and I think most people would say roomy.
This brings me on to the question of the small face hole, which had put me off getting the bag previously. I do sometimes get a bit claustrophobic in sleeping bags and just one look at that tiny face hole had me thinking this one was a no no. I had read a few reviews that said it wasn't too much of a problem and in the end, long story short, I took a gamble on that too. As soon as I got in the bag and did it up I was amazed how much room there is around the head area and how big that small hole seems when you're inside looking out. It just feels fine, it's hard to explain because I thought it would be an issue but I'm pretty sure it won't be. Plus it's easy to have your head out of it and use the top of the bag as a pillow. You can even do the zip up round your neck no problems.
As I said, I have t slt in it yet but all other reviews have vouched for its warmth and comfort and nothing I've seen so far makes me doubt them. I'd say, on initial inspection, this is a great bag and I'm looking forward to years of cold hammock camping in it.
Hope this was of help to someone. In short, if your considering getting one, do it!

Reactions: Laurence Milton
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've had one for a couple of years now - really nice bag. The face hole does take some getting used to i find. To be honest, i used to leave the zip open slightly, and have my head out of the hole, but that didn't really work - the velcro top closure was scratchy, and the zip kept running down in the night. In the end i zipped it up properly and was surprised how manageable the hole was. For thermal efficiency, it certainly works better than a large opening, and doesn't tend to feel as claustrophobic as one could imagine. Yes - great bag. Perhaps not one for lightweight use, but spot on for most things - as long as its not a warm night - in order not to sweat heavily in it, the night needs to be maybe 5c or less (at least for me).

Reactions: Laurence Milton

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
thanks for a good review, I was thinking about this one or the rab 900, i think with you saying its big bulky and heavy, i think ill opt for the rab, thanks again for the review

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
I read this review a few weeks ago when I was looking for a new winter bag, the review convinced me to try a Defense 4, I wasn't disappointed, it was relatively cold down to about 4 degrees and I was toasty using the Exped Downmat with the Carinthia meant no cold spots (I am a side sleeper) this is a great sleep system, not the lightest, but comfortable and water resistant, thanks for the review and pointing me in the Carinthia direction, ATB Kaizer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE