Exotic food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
in case anyone of you folks makes it to Korea: there's a dish called "" sundae"". My guide book described it as "" a kind of sausage made from noodles and vegetables ""---- the reality is often a bit more grim: my "" highlight"" was served to me in a "restaurant" where I was dragged by Korean friends------ it looked and tasted like someone had collected the old leftovers from dog bowls and stuffed them in an old rubber garden hose :yikes: till today I have no idea how I managed to keep that stuff down! and for over a week afterwards I was unable to face any animal products.....

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Ate Shark (Flake as its known) in Australia. Was good.
Used to eat lambs brains as a kid. Don't remember them being bad.
Have eaten Black Bear (that I knew personally) liked it but had to be well done as eat meat is notorious for pathogens. Very fatty so was barbecued a long while.
Moose. Really good steak
Ostrich. Meat was fine.
Ostrich egg. Made me sick (perhaps not cooked enough)
Barnacles in Portugal, amongst my favourites
Canada Goose, oddly the texture of lamb
The grub out of a bottle of tequila. Can't remember what it tasted like.
Badger Biltong courtesy of a gentleman of this parish. Kind of funky.
Kangaroo. Tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks! Know now what to look for!
But the "Milk Gravy" sound revolting.

No, it doesn't sound good to me ether. I have no personal knowledge though, as the last time I ate hog brains was when I was a toddler ad thus no real memory. back then I just ate whatever Daddy ate. No idea if we were eating fresh, frozen, or canned; just know we were eating brains and eggs.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I remember the first time I tried Chitterlings. The local butcher bought a tray full into the pub and passed them round.

Quite delicious, but I can't seem to track them down these days.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
OK, at the risk of being heretical,
alligator, kangaoroo, rabbit, hedgehog, cat, giant doormouse, all eaten by me or someone whose judgement I trust, and all
taste like chicken but not as good !
just getting my coat...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
OK, at the risk of being heretical,
alligator, kangaoroo, rabbit, hedgehog, cat, giant doormouse, all eaten by me or someone whose judgement I trust, and all
taste like chicken but not as good !
just getting my coat...

Domesticated rabbit tasted, and looked, like white meat chicken to me (only a bit sweeter) whereas wild rabbit tasted, and looked, like dark meat chicken. Gator on the other hand, tasted like pork to me.

Mar 14, 2016
Sydney
I don't mean to offend anyone with this but I think China and Philippines have a lot of exotic dishes. I remember reading this article about the creepiest things in you can find in Chinese Walmart. Please tell me that's not exotic.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
One of my friends is Sardinian so piglet brains and casu marzu, sheep milk cheese, containing live maggots... strong!

Last edited:
When I was in Borneo looking for wild orangutans in the jungle one of the locals I was with cut down a durian which was a huge spikey fruit. Now Im easy to please when it comes to food and have gladly eaten all kinds of funny stuff but this thing. Imagine big tear drop shaped seeds that had the consistency of cold custard but tasted like garlic then kinda buttery then your left with the taste of raw onion in your mouth. They stink like poo as well.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE