Wooly Pully sweater

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
My e bay special ( 99p) arrived today. Its Grade one and it bears the rank of colour sergeant||||| Excellent fit. :D
Think I might have some fun with this. Any of you old lags got a suggestion on how to make a couple of beers out of this? :D :D :D
George

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
The 58 replaced the 37 set which apparently won the selection competition because it had the most brass involved so could be polished nicely...not to mention the use of 'blanco' (or 'sh*t in a tin') to clean it which was then nicely reinvented in green for the '58. barrack dress trousers were the bottom half of a replacement set of No 2 dress (with a pretty red sash instead of a belt) which thankfully never saw the light of day...never wore barrack dress myself unless at gunpoint for squadron photos etc

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When I was a kid, I did a few stints of Industrial cleaning at a large car plant. Filthy and temporary work (but very well paid for a lad), you had your pick of clothing to wear, this included WW2 battle dress, leather jerkins and even WW2 para smocks, there were just mounds of the gear to choose from. I wish I'd put some of that gear away back in 1970

PS wooly pully are great IMHO

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
Being RAF, I had both blue and green woolly pullies; I also had a couple of green ones from my TA days, but for some reason they didn't have epaulettes. I much preferred the woolly pully to the hideous 'Thunderbirds' jacket that was the alternative for working dress.

I had a huge clearout last year, and discovered amongst nearly 30 years-worth of stuff (just why does it feel so good to 'win' kit?) not only a woolly pully, but also an aircrew 'bunny suit' - if Buffalo made romper suits, this is what they'd be like. It was worn under an immersion suit, and I acquired it after going flying with 7 Sqn's Canberras. A couple of useful bits of kit I still have is the aircrew roll-neck sweater - lightweight, warm and unmeltable, and my flying gloves. Apart from that, all I've kept is my flying suit, just for nostalgia.

The civilian wooly pullies that are popular for shooting and so forth are still very much in vogue, in suitable colours, with some officers for cool nights in the desert. Now I work with the military as a civilian, but can still deploy. Last time I was in Iraq, as I lay in my Corimec (all to myself), complete with aircon and heating, I often thought about the days I spent cold and damp in various exposed parts of the UK, watching hexi telly before trying to sleep sans kipmat (I remember when they were first issued), in a 58 pattern doss bag with large pack as a pillow.

One thing I have noticed is that kit today doesn't smell like it used to - even a brand new 58 maggot smelt utterly revolting, and all the clothes stank of mothballs.

Reactions: Bert

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
On the other hand, I quite liked KF shirts, and resisted OGs as long as I could.

You must be kidding. It's a long, long time since I wore a KF shirt, hatred would be too weak a word to describe to the feelings I had towards those itchy abominations. I can still remember now when we were given GS shirts for the first time, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven...

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
If you want to keep a crease in your kit, use soap or glue stick along the crease!
Iron everything ,carefully, then go along the crease with soap/glue and press again.
We used to use soap on lightweights and shirts, and pritstick(gluestick) on jumpers, I still have creases in my wooly pully from '99!

We used to get the creases sewn into our lightweights and barack dress trousers.

Remember putting "KLEAR" floor shine on the toecaps of your DMS boots and watching them go blue in the rain??

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I thought the wooly pully was one of the better bits of kit. At least it was warm when wet, which was its usual state given the porous nature of the issue combat jacket.

I feel very old as the kit I had in 86-92 seems to be all obsolete (58 webbing, SLR, LMG, Sterling, LAW 66, Gordons kilt, MOULD radios, etc, etc). I think Clansman radios are still on the go, but being phased out in favour of BOWMAN (Better Off With Map And Nokia).

C

Chitterne

Question:

The "commando" sweater, green, patches on elbows/shoulders.

Is it field gear, or is (was) it only for garrison wear?

A.

I know my answer is a little late in the day; but most of your respondents are discussing the merits of the Brit JHW (Jersey Heavy Wool!).
Having noted your location -and having spent 2 years on exchange with the Cdn Army a while back- sorry to say that the Cdn lookalike sweater (a much much darker 'unnatural' green than the JHW) was a garrison sweater -much like (in the pre-digital cam days) the Cdn camouflage jacket issued for barrack dress whilst plain OG was worn in the field!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Just read this old threat and it made me laugh at happy memories. One of the reasons I love this forum so much.
P. S. I Still own a woolly pully wear it every winter and even liked the KF Shirts don't own one of these though.:eek:

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
WOW!!! this thread is 11 years old
I guess I'll make it even better! 18 years ok with you?
What I wonder, when UK warriors Aka soldiers still wore desert DPM's, was the woolly pully then issued in sand? if so, I'd love to see a (or some) images of them being in use.
one way or another Google and I don't speak the same language, I can't find those images!???

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
What I wonder, when UK warriors Aka soldiers still wore desert DPM's, was the woolly pully then issued in sand? if so, I'd love to see a (or some) images of them being in use.
one way or another Google and I don't speak the same language, I can't find those images!???

Nope. Mine was still a green one :encourage:

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
I believe there was a sand one
And I recall a choc chip cammo pattern one as well possibly Dutch issue

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE