Wood carving. What's you opinion ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mrcwcb

Feb 25, 2016
Glasgow
When it comes to wood for carving what's your preference ?

I've been up my local woodland and collected a load to try on ! Ive found pine tree are quite soft but I guess these aren't to reliable for spoons and such because of the resins ?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I like carving heavy hard woods with tight grain for the appearance of the end product but my fingers and thumbs hate the process, for easy effortless blade work when carving i like willow

Dec 27, 2015
Pembroke
Birch, Sycamore and willow are nice easy carving woods. Sweet chestnut is a good one too. For looks and durability it's ash and oak for me. Never carved beech so can't comment. Fruit woods have lovely grain but wouldn't recommend for a begginer. I have attempted to carve holly but it's a nightmare. Constant sharpening of tools and blistered aching hands so I gave up. I am hoping to get my hands on a branch of a tulip tree that's up for pruning. It's full of burls hoping to make a nice noggin for myself if I can.

Sent from my SM-G110H using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't carve so I can't comment on what's easier. But based on the pure cosmetics of finished work, I'd pick olive wood.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Birch, Sycamore and willow are nice easy carving woods. Sweet chestnut is a good one too. For looks and durability it's ash and oak for me. Never carved beech so can't comment. Fruit woods have lovely grain but wouldn't recommend for a begginer. I have attempted to carve holly but it's a nightmare. Constant sharpening of tools and blistered aching hands so I gave up. I am hoping to get my hands on a branch of a tulip tree that's up for pruning. It's full of burls hoping to make a nice noggin for myself if I can.

Sent from my SM-G110H using Tapatalk

try just about anything you can get your hands on 😊 Tulip tree is lovely to carve, with a remarkable 3D look to it

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Birch and Sycamore for me, the sycamore takes more fine detail, and a better finish with a scraper. Although I will have a go at carving with whatever wood I can get my hands on.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For any carvers just starting out, Basswood/Tilia/Lime is usually thought of as being the most forgiving.
Many of the angiosperm (aka hardwoods) really tighten up when they dry.
Here in the PacNW, alder carvings (eg masks) are often submerged in a bucket of water until finished except for sanding
However, they do hold excellent detail. Birch doesn't stiffen quite so much, I've done many carvings in that and liked the texture.

Conifer wood of most any species is prone to long run-out splitting and chipping.
You have to 'learn' the wood. Maybe years, as it has been in my case.
I carve just about nothing but western red cedar and some yellow cedar.
But, I know now what to do and how to do it to avoid most of the common problems.
For example, you can skip any ideas about fine detail!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE