Royal Marines train US Marines in Arctic survival/Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03lbt5n/newsbeat-documentaries-royal-marines-fighting-in-the-freezer[/video]

Royal Marines train their US counterparts in the Arctic for the first time. We follow their training in sub-zero conditions.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You need to understand that many US Marines may never have seen snow, let alone low temp living.
Not a matter of doing it right, it's a first experience for many of them.
Those of us that cope with -20C and overnight 75cm snowfalls have grown up with the simple issues of
getting on with the day.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Also need to bear in mind Royal Marines are trained as a Commando Unit as the majority of their training , whilst US Marines are not. Different troops and training for differing roles. All Good Guys however.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Any ideas how to get this viewed if you are stateside? I've reposted the link on BCUSA but the BBC doesn't allow it to be seen from their side of the pond? How do others get around it.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Did anyone notice the RM Major, who was one of the Royal Marines in the real heroes of telemark documentary, by Ray Mears?

Im sure he was an NCO back then. Thats quite a leap!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It has made me want to revisit the 80's prog dealing with the MAW Cadre - Behind The Lines.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Did anyone notice the RM Major, who was one of the Royal Marines in the real heroes of telemark documentary, by Ray Mears?

But not unknown though, my understanding is a senior nco(in the army)if commissioned, starts at the rank of captain,

Rob

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Any ideas how to get this viewed if you are stateside? I've reposted the link on BCUSA but the BBC doesn't allow it to be seen from their side of the pond? How do others get around it.

noiticed that it is however on youtube

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hats off to all of them, being humble enough to learn makes all the difference. I'd have thought the Norwegians, Canadians etc would have been the best snow/ice based countries forces?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I think the possible opposing forces as mentioned in the programe will have some good cold weather troops in there forces as well, especially amongst its elite units.I thought the same as Robson valley.The US marine troops were all very young and it maybe there first experiannce of extreme cold weather fighting/training.

Mar 7, 2016
Malvern

His name is Ads Rutherford, and you're right Dave, he was a corporal back then when they made the documentary. He has since been commissioned as an officer in 3 Commando Brigade.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
A little bit of a change from being towed around a warm lake wearing speedos, watching all the girls admire the strokes......but, those who learn, think and those who think, learn. A win win for everyone involved including royal marines. Me? I feel cold when the sun goes down or a passing cloud eclipses it in mid summer Brrrrr....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You need to understand that many US Marines may never have seen snow, let alone low temp living.
Not a matter of doing it right, it's a first experience for many of them.
Those of us that cope with -20C and overnight 75cm snowfalls have grown up with the simple issues of
getting on with the day.

They do adapt quickly though, as evidenced by their experience in The Frozen Chosen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE