Article: Plan to remove all hedgehogs from the Uists

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Interesting. They are not native, and are having a detrimental impact on the local, native wildlife.
If they are not an endangered species, then I find it hard to argue against the move on principle.

Shame they can't do a similar thing with grey squirrels in England (not sure what their population is like in the other parts of the UK, so won't comment)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As much as I am in favour of land stewardship and conservation, that seems like an absurd amount of money. I wonder whether the Greeks for example would see hedgehog relocation as an EU funding priority? Not meaning to debate politics or the EU, just surprised that such an eye watering amount can be justified in a world where millions of people starve?

stonehippo

Forager
May 15, 2011
Birmingham
As much as I am in favour of land stewardship and conservation, that seems like an absurd amount of money. I wonder whether the Greeks for example would see hedgehog relocation as an EU funding priority? Not meaning to debate politics or the EU, just surprised that such an eye watering amount can be justified in a world where millions of people starve?
I am going to seem eye-wateringly harsh now but I have 2 points to make:
first of all EU funding goes to many and various projects, some of which may seem trivial, but are non the less worth doing.
secondly, and this is the heartless part, I think there are far too many people on this planet and not enough lapwings. Please feel free to tear a strip of me.

Reactions: robur

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do agree on the people, far too many!

I have no problem getting rid of hedgehogs, but heck just pay the people who live there £50 a tail. I bet they would soon be wiped out.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
The amount spent is riduculous, I'm sure a few of the members on here would be happy for a week camping and catching hedgepigs. If they paid my fuel and food money I'd happily go.

Waders are on the decline, not only on Uist but also the whole of Scotland, we've certainly seen a dramatic decline on the moorland next to us. Could be a number of reasons such as farming practices (I've witnessed a landowner having the fields ploughed at nesting time!) etc. It may just be one of those cycle periods that nature decides.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm not going to get into the politics of the plan to remove them as it's not the place and my thoughts on the RSPB are well documented elsewhere. But couldn't we use the little blighters if they are going to be hunted? I used to shoot and eat grey squirrels on sight on the estate (well I cooked them first) though I've heard some restraunts have been criticised for putting squirrel on their menus.

We could always bring back hedgehog crisps? At least they'd be getting used for something.

hedgehog-flavoured-crisps.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
One of the forum members was on one of the hedgehog trapping teams. The amount of hassle that was raised when the first ones were caught and dispatched was unbelievable. That's why they're now trapped and 'relocated'…..and it's costing a blooming fortune instead of as suggested above that a simple bounty be offered. The tiggiewinkle supporters did rather go a little OTT I thought for something that didn't belong and was of a very limited gene pool.
The original plan wouldn't have cost more than a fraction of this effort, but it does 'preserve wildlife', so folks need paid to do it this way……and the rehoming folks were looking for folks to adopt them on the mainland.

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I do agree on the people, far too many!

I have no problem getting rid of hedgehogs, but heck just pay the people who live there £50 a tail. I bet they would soon be wiped out.

Oh I expect you wouldn't need quite that big a bounty. I've never seen the bounty on beaver or coyote tails here over $20 (about 13 pounds) max. Works well enough for the beavers. Coyotes are near impossible to control though.

Jockanease

Oct 23, 2014
Argyll
Its the usual short sighted human interference problems, this is happening with both plants and animals.

When they quote these big numbers, im sitting here wondering which Laird or major land owner is making a rather large skin off these projects.
I can understand it costing a lot of time and money to carry the work out but theres always that suspicion.

Is there no where in the uk that we are short of these critters?? We have been told by the wildlife media to look out for hedgehogs, build them lodgings etc.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hedgehogs are declining at a faster rate than any other Uk mammal, hence the fuss about culling them. Relocating a few helps to top up the declining population elsewhere.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They're talking about relocating hundreds if not thousands in total though….and they're all from seven individuals, so the inbreeding must be something of a gene issue. Then to spread that throughout the country….I can't be the only one who's wondering just how that's going to work out.

M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Fair point. On the inbreeding it depends where they put them. If they are spread out the genes will quickly be diluted by the general pool. More of a problem if they only relocate to one location.

It is a tricky issue.

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk

£2.1m spent over 13 years (since 2002) works out to £161,538 a year. Hardly eye watering

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
As someone who grew up on the islands this story has been ongoing for quite a time now.

Hedgehogs are seen as a problem however they are not the only animal that is being relocated or culled

Another post from the BBC - Super infuriating animals? The business of tackling unwelcome animals

And some are starting to doubt that Hedgehogs are the culprits - Western Isles hedgehogs may not be to blame for falling bird numbers

We as humans are usually the dominant factor in these situations (in my opinion) and the reality is it is not simply the introduction of one new predator upsetting a food chain but a number of new predators upsetting what can be seen as an existing stable food matrix. I include us as humans in this mix as well, however I appreciate some would disagree with that.

I use the term 'matrix' as the predator/prey connections in nature are far more complex than a simple food chain would suggest.

Cheers

George

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Got a mate who takes them over on the ferry to a hedgepig sanctuary on the mainland where I assume they get released into the wild.

Don't think he gets paid anything other than his ferry fare and its only once in a while.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE