Unusual Gravestone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
unusual things often catch my eye on my countryside walks, recently on a walk in Shropshire I came across this gravestone, at first glance it seems quite normal but it is in fact very unusual indeed, it's easy enough to spot for the observant.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Hadn't noticed the missing r until Toddy mentioned it. 2 errors then; the missing r and there not being a Feb. 29th in 1835.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hadn't noticed the missing r until Toddy mentioned it. 2 errors then; the missing r and there not being a Feb. 29th in 1835.

the guy (or anybody else for that matter) could not possibly have died on 29th 1835 as there was no such day, 1835 was not a leap year so there was no such day as the 29th, the stonemason either carved the year wrong or the day, makes one wonder whose mistake it was. The gravestone is in the churchyard of a village called Clive in Shropshire. Thanks all :)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks for posting, on closer inspection, it looks like the 9 as been altered to a 0.

Similar stone masons mistake can be clearly seen at the old county court cells entrance(now the gallery of justice) in Nottingham.

Rob

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Thanks for posting, on closer inspection, it looks like the 9 as been altered to a 0.

Similar stone masons mistake can be clearly seen at the old county court cells entrance(now the gallery of justice) in Nottingham.

Rob

I need new glasses :eek: I honestly read it as 20th Febuary 1835 aged 49 years.

M

thanks for the replies folks :) no the 9 has not been altered in any way whatsoever, it clearly reads the 29th 1835 and is clearly a mistake, the question is who's mistake, there is some info inside the church about it and I spoke to the vicar about it, no-one will ever know for sure wether it was the stonemasons mistake or someone else's, the vicar said maybe back then headstones were expensive and whoever paid for it may not have ben able to afford another headstone carved with the correct date so just left it as it was. We will never know of course who made the mistake of carving the wrong date, but one thing for sure is that Thomas Greeen did not die on the 29th 1835 nor did anybody else.

next to the grave is this plaque shown below

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Easy mistake to make, especially in days when newspapers and calendars weren't commonly around. Someone says the 29th, so the 29th it is, not the 1st of March.

Folks are funny about things like that too. The 1st of March is supposed to be the day when the steps are swept and the windows closed tight to stop fleas coming in as they waken. If it's done that day supposedly the house (and stable) will be free of the fleas for the rest of the year.
It's also St. David's Day, and the fellow was from Shrewsbury….long history of English and Welsh feuding there.

I doubt we'll ever know really :)

Fascinating things though are gravestones. Scotswomen are given their own names on theirs, and they took the custom worldwide, genealogists love that because it gives the distaff side of family names too.
The rhymes that folks put on them are often both poignant and strangely funny.

"Stop, stop, as you pass by,
As you are now, so once was I,
As I am now, so will you be,
So be content to follow me."

and some wit chalked on….

"To follow you I'm quite content,
but I'm damned if I know which way you went!" :)

Others come inscribed with everything from birlinns to knot work, from skulls and crossbones to the tools of their trades.

I find the long lists of infants on some family tombstones very hard to contemplate.

M

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE