what bivi?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
Hi,

im currently looking at getting a hooped bivi or light one man shelter for wild camping and multiple day treks along the canals thoughout the year.

Anyway i was woundering if anyone had any adivce or recommendations? so far been looking at the outdoor research helium bivi or perhaps the Snugpak Ionosphere 1 Man Tent.

Im trying to stay as close to £100 quid as i can but will invest more if it is really worth it.

Any adivce would be great.

Cheers

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Could do worse than look at the US army MSS Bivy Bag. MSS ( Multi Sleep System ), the whole system complete comes with two Sleeping bags. Forget about them, just look at the Bivy. It's a solid bit of kit in my opinion. Or could look at the Dutch Army Bivy, find the ones made by Carinthia. These come with a Hoop, the US Mss Bivy doesn't.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
The British Army issue bivi bag is cheap, simple and effective. And is nicely breathable! I also have a Dutch army hooped bivi which is also very good in nasty weather :) Highly recommended!

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Another vote for the US Modular Sleep System bivvy - all goretex, side zip and covers head when needed and can be bought pretty cheaply if you search around ( I got mine for £25 on Amazon a year or so back), older ones are in US woodland, newer in ACU digital.

fenrir

Dec 12, 2014
Austria
Personal recommendation: Snugpak

- SF bivvi (haven't had any condensation in it yet;
- alpkit tarp on top. thus, you can sit underneath and have shelter when it rains/snows, even if you don't want to sleep yet (which you can hardly do when in a those tunnel bivvis)

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
Cheers for the recommendations everyone, think i may go for a snugpack ionosphere, 1.5kg and the ability to keep my kit inside seems like a decent weight/use trade off.

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
The Ionosphere rocks - light, v. compact, surprisingly spacious for one, holds up in a gale (although it's a little draughty) and for a tent, low profile, and therefore better for stealth.

However, it IS a tent and there's a big difference between tent camping and bivvying, especially if you're sticking to the canals (a bivvy would work much better IMO, just in finding viable camp spots). If you do bivvy, the British MOD one is great for ruggedness and space, especially if you get the one with the gusset. Alpkit Hunka XL is the next best. Not so tough, but half the weight and pack size.

One other thing to consider: if you're going later in the year, canals/water = clouds of bleedin' midges.

bodhran4me

Jan 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I have the US woodland Bivi and it is great kit. Heavy duty material and zips are large and easy to manipulate even with cold hands. I have always used it in conjunction with a tarp to maximize the living space.
The down sides are lack of mesh, or even a full zip to keep the pests such as mosquitoes, snakes etc. out.

It's a bit more expensive, but after 4 or 5 different bivys and small tents, I stopped buying stuff after I got the outdoor research aurora bivy. It's not got the loop (which are extra weight and annoying) but it does have some tie points on the top so you can raise the top of you wish.

It's lightweight, tough enough, doesn't really condense much (they all do to some degree), is waterproof AND (the real clincher) comes with a built in flyscreen. After many nights being savaged by tiny bloodsucker this is now (in my opinion) a must have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE