Help Please From Fellow Leathersmiths....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Sonni :) I think it's interesting to keep notions like this fresh, iimmc.
We know the folks we buy from, but we don't know from whom they source their supplies. That's when it becomes dodgy for those who need good reliable pieces, every time. More so for those of us who don't buy by the 50,000 so don't have an in with manufacturers.

It used to be that one could buy a known 'brand', but that's not happening now. JohnJames for instance now has their needles made in China (to their specs they assure folks….hmm, aye, well, lets just say I'm glad I have a stock of old ones, 'cos Pony stuff is carp)

M

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
lolol Klench...yup yup....to be honest i'm not considering any ''easing'' dude....i'm writing them off and ripping them off then drilling them out....then i might take them outside and put them in the firepit.....

Please do not try to tell me that a standard press stud is worth the best part of £1. or that my work is reduced in quality by the press studs i've been using.

s

So no easing will take place. That's just fine with me and I commend your approach.

With respect the the only person to suggest your work might be reduced in quality ("below-par") is your good self, and quite successfully given the global audience that is this forum.

Good of luck with finding the right supplier.

K

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Oh don't get started with Tandy mate they are awful prices, I have no idea how they have managed to open a store in Manchester with their prices!

I'll follow your progress as I also don't use studs that often but when I do, I'd rather not have to drill out duds or re grind them etc.

I know why it drives us so crazy, because being a full time leather worker means being economical with your time. When you have a quick job to do, ie setting a stud, and it goes awry it seriously puts a dent in your day as you have to waste time drilling it out without damaging the leather. This always puts me in a sour mood and I end up taking a 5 min tea break or walk the dog to cool down before getting back to it, before I know it I've lost 30 minutes of my work day due to a faulty press stud, as simple as that. Crazy certainly doesn't cover it ;)

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Happy to check 'em out, Angst. Thanks. Cab let me know via PM where they came from just to be on the safe sude if you like.

Regarding tandy, some of their stuff, mkst in fact, is over priced. But they tend to offer quality and consistency. When I started out I bought some press studs there not knowing the going rate and I will say they are good, but certainly not worth that price.

It really can take quite some time and money to find the right aupplier for the right stuff, so it is annoying when they dexide to change without notice. The biggest issue I've had is with co sisten y in quality of tooling leather. I get it all from a family run Italian tannery now after having issues with others.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
TODDY!! I LOVE YOU!!! A BIT MORE EACH DAY!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO XXXXXXX!!

right.....just this minute received my 100 brass press studs from artisan......ripped the packet open and my heart sank.....''all brass''.....including the underside of the cap....i thought ''great i've just wasted another £15 quid''.....

went out into my workshop and put the bag of 100 next to the bag of 100 dodgy ones and could tell there was a slight colour difference....

took out a cap and there are several differences.....looking side on the artisan caps are about 1mm thinner.....the cap stem also seems to be nearly 1mm longer which is fantastic for me because i work with mainly 3.5+mm leather so thats no extra skiving needed yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you turn the cap on its back and look down you'll see there are two 'holes'....the holes on the new studs are about 2mm smaller than on the useless studs....

i've been ill as a dog this last few days and have barely had the energy or strength to walk out to my workshop to even answer emails but today i'm a bit better and this news has totally cheered up my frame of mind. i've smacked a few in and theyre rock solid....the cap stems dont squash to the side....I'M MADE UP!!!!

i'll try and get a few good close up pics to show what i mean and hib, now pm'ing you.....and dready......i'll send you up a load of the useless ones too because if you, as you said, often need to file them down, then they might be fine for you mate....as long as you dont need depth, a long stem, or to belt them overly hard they should be useable.....

i'm now heading over to artisan to buy a few more hundred to see me through the near future.....not risking this again.

GRETNA GREEN TODDY? X

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....just phoned up artisan and told them how wonderful they are, spoke to the owner, very nice lady indeed....and i bought the last 3 lots of 100 sorry guys lol.....there are still smaller lots available and i'm sure she'll re-stock v.soon....

s

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
HWMBLT says I'm not available :) But I am so pleased the studs are good ones :D
Lovely people to buy from too. Their lace thong is excellent, and much cheaper than others as well as better quality. It didn't snap once when I was braiding with it :)

M

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
:D
HWMBLT says I'm not available :) But I am so pleased the studs are good ones :D
Lovely people to buy from too. Their lace thong is excellent, and much cheaper than others as well as better quality. It didn't snap once when I was braiding with it :)

M

I have used them too, usually a very prompt delivery.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Sonny sent me a batch of each type of studs, the problem ones and the newer ones from artisan. Definitely a BIG difference both in appearance, quality, and setting them. I can see why you wouldn't settle for these mate they are pants! Glad you found a good supplier with artisan bud ;)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
ta for your help dready....sorry for delay in replying, had posting problems which tonys now sorted for me,

was about to post a customers dangler last night and luckily i noticed it had the dodgy press studs in it....slipped by me.....checked it and sure enough the press studs were stuck together so hard that when i tried to separate not only did the female end give way nearly to the point of coming off (like with the previously mentioned bracelet) but the back of the back part of the male end also bent right back. have drilled out and replaced with artisan press studs and alls good....

apart from the fact that yet more precious minutes of my life have gone forever.

s

Sonny sent me a batch of each type of studs, the problem ones and the newer ones from artisan. Definitely a BIG difference both in appearance, quality, and setting them. I can see why you wouldn't settle for these mate they are pants! Glad you found a good supplier with artisan bud ;)

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Made up for you Sonny. I've only had a couple of small bits off you but the quality was fantastic - totally understand why you wouldn't want to compromise on quality or lose rep by letting anything go out that doesn't meet your standards. Stressful when the quality of your product can be ruined by the 3rd party items you have little control over. Glad you managed to find another supplier thanks to Mary.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Just adding my tuppance, a bit late of course.

Sonni, sent me a few of the good and bad to test too.

I was able to get a secure hold with both, but the poorer quality of the first batch was evident even just by visual inspection. The dome was noticeably thinner, as were the base plates. While I'm confident they would stay together, I think even a slight knock could warp or bend them rendering them useless.

The better ones Sonni went were on par with one's I got from le Prevo a good while back. However, the Tandy ones still seem to be the standout in terms of strength.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
ta herb....and thankyou hibrion for your review too m8....

i'll have to try some of these tandy studs i guess....but i tell ye.....at 60 quid per 100 they better be something special lol!

i've taken a few pics, will upload later....

s

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
They're still not worth what they charge and the others are more than ample in my opinion. I think once you approach something where the extra strength wpuld be needed you'd use a buckle instead of a press stud anyway :)

ta herb....and thankyou hibrion for your review too m8....

i'll have to try some of these tandy studs i guess....but i tell ye.....at 60 quid per 100 they better be something special lol!

i've taken a few pics, will upload later....

s

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
ok kool because some months i get through up to 300.....meaning at 180 quid theyd become my biggest overhead....and that seems a bit messed up to me lol

s

They're still not worth what they charge and the others are more than ample in my opinion. I think once you approach something where the extra strength wpuld be needed you'd use a buckle instead of a press stud anyway :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
sorry forgot....here are some pictures to show what i mean....

here you can see that the female ends are not only fatter than before therefore looking ungainly on smaller projects but also how they tip over when hit...

here you can see the back of the male end bent because it locked in so hard with the female end that i had to force them apart....

here you can see just how soft the metal is.....which means they pull apart very easily.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE