Pouch for mess tins.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Hope this is the right place. I'm looking for a simple pouch to fit the TOC British army mess tins. They are 60mm X 135mm X 180mm. It doesn't have to be fancy it's mainly to keep them together and stop them rattling round and guarantee the contents (Esbit stove, folding cup, plastic spoon) don't spill out.

Any suggestion folks?

Cheers,
Malc.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
If you don't mind MTP, I think the British Army Osprey utility pouch fits them. I check check one of my sons ones later on if you like.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Silvermans do a modern version of the sas escape pouch, i have one it quite good. Originals fit the small mess tin only but the silvermans one fits the two together. It was known as the ration pouch, then became the escape pouch of sas fame. Here is a link, i have this one but changed the spanish clip on the frontbfor a compression buckle. Pic shows mess tins inside.
http://webbingbabel.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/bcb-sas-rationescape-pouch.html

Last edited:

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Maybe use an old pair of jean legs, sew the bottom, leave enough for a flap. I don't know metric so your guess is as good as mine that it may fit.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have DPM waterbottle pouch, much like the MTP pouch above you can have for postage. It is a bit battered mind.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Face veil or bar towel was for anti rattle, contents jammed together in right hand pouch, water bottle mits mug being on the left. Apologies if this is known to you already.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The best thing is one of the old 58 pattern kidney pouches, this will fit the tins and a stove in the same pouch without the stove needing to be in the tins themselves. There also dirt cheap, they come as a complete unit of two pouches. Cut one off.

Tonysco

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
My mate says "never trust a man who uses mess tins' lol, as soon as they could all his guys swapped them out for jetboils when he was in the army.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to use an old pillowcase and have a go at making my own pouch with a drawstring. If you knew my abilities with a needle you'd understand why this is a big thing. Oh dear time will tell :lmao:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to use an old pillowcase and have a go at making my own pouch with a drawstring. If you knew my abilities with a needle you'd understand why this is a big thing. Oh dear time will tell :lmao:
I think good on ya. Compared to a pouch your way is lighter, and is a genuine solution. You could even cut the leg pocket off an old pair of combats if you can find a pocket that fits the mess tins, us army trousers might. That way you could just blanket stitch or whip the edges of the material.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Stone Monkey and Wingstoo. Thanks for the suggestion and link. If my attempts at a home made pouch don't pan out I'll grab one of them.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Okay so minus one rather naff pillowcase and I have this.

Screenshot from 2016-01-29 14:39:57.jpg
Screenshot from 2016-01-29 14:35:26.jpg

A section of shock cord keeps it all nicely together. I made the bag slightly oversize as the KFS sets in pouches are too big for the tin so they slide down the side easily.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, much appreciated. :thankyou:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE