Packable grill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I carry a small 12+" X 4+" 3 tine grill in my pack, or I used to. Someone needed it more than me and being worried of load weight relieved me of it.:( I will have to make an other.
I used Stainless Steel welding rods and break off the coating, polish the rods, boil them out and shape them to my favorite configuration.
It is basically a rectangle style but the ends have bin a curve aspect, also one end is more narrow than the opposite side.
We have a large availability of fuels (pinecones, twigs, pine needles etc...) and rocks galore so fuel and support are not an issue.
Still I often use the fitted stove that encapsulate the bottom of a GI canteen cup,(smaller still fire).

Are others carrying similar products?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Yep - I sometimes carry a "packers grill" from Purcell Trench shown here with a 12cm Zebra billy on it :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• packers grill.jpg
    packers grill.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 231

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I carry a small 12+" X 4+" 3 tine grill in my pack, or I used to. Someone needed it more than me and being worried of load weight relieved me of it.:( I will have to make an other.
I used Stainless Steel welding rods and break off the coating ...

Crikey, that's expensive! You can get stainless rods for TIG welding that have no coating - they're very much cheaper than flux coated electrodes and, if the ones I buy are typical, you probably won't even need to polish them.

Are others carrying similar products?

I'm in the middle of measuring up for a similar grill, but circular, for a fire tray that I bought (a stainless fruit bowl from a pound shop).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry about the size of that; I can't seem to copy/paste the small image.
Thinking on it though, it's pretty much to scale.

M

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Bikething, that's almost identical to the one I had, not sure if it was that long, probably will be making a few. My brother in law will weld them together and I'll smooth them out.

Yep - I sometimes carry a "packers grill" from Purcell Trench shown here with a 12cm Zebra billy on it :)

attachment.php

Last edited:

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Bikething, that's almost identical to the one I had, not sure if it was that long, probably will be making a few. My brother in law will weld them together and I'll smooth them out.
I first saw the design in an old book on camp cookery. Got fed up waiting for a local fabricator to make one so ended up buying one from the website linked to above.- it's surprisingly strong for its weight and is the perfect size to slide down the back of my rucksack side pocket :)

He does a few sizes and has a couple of interesting views on outdoor recreation in the links at the bottom of his home page.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's not that big, I do know that.

How about the grills from inside the cheap store woks ?
I bought one to use on the campfire and the inner grill rack is at least ten inches across.
I know I didn't spend any more than a fiver on the wok set.

M

ged

Jul 16, 2009
It's not that big, I do know that.

How about the grills from inside the cheap store woks ?
I bought one to use on the campfire and the inner grill rack is at least ten inches across. ...

That sounds good Mary. I've seen plenty of cheap woks, but I hadn't seen anything like that with a wok until I just did some searches prompted by your idea.
Unfortunately the only things I found that looked suitable have all been 'currently unavailable' or similar. Have you got a link for me by any chance?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm pretty sure I bought mine in Home Bargains, but it's at least three years ago now.

You know what else would work very well ? and Tesco were selling them off for under three quid last time I saw them; the bucket bbq's. They came with a round steel rack too.

M

ged

Jul 16, 2009
I'm pretty sure I bought mine in Home Bargains, but it's at least three years ago now.

You know what else would work very well ? and Tesco were selling them off for under three quid last time I saw them; the bucket bbq's. They came with a round steel rack too.

M

Couldn't see the product on Tesco's Website but found it at Argos - that does look promising Mary, thanks. :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I've also made up a grill that drops flush onto a BCB Crusader base with minimal overhang. Same idea if you want to grill small food items. Also makes the pot to stove distance almost in the sweet spot if using with a Trangia burner!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE