New Snugpak Cocoon vs quilt and under blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi,

I'd appreciate some insight and advice about the relative merits of the new Snugpak Cocoon (http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/20...mock-system-works-like-a-giant-banana-skin-2#,) vs an under blanket and sleeping bag or top quilt.

I have used a DD hammock (frontline? Not the bivi version but with a midge net) for a couple of years. I've adapted a cheap Tesco bag as an under quilt that works "ok" but lacks a little style. I sleep in a draped sleeping bag under a tarp.

Usually I'm ok with this system. I have read about the BCUK special order Cocoon since joining the forum but I've never seen one in the flesh - or nylon. Now Snugpak appear to have released one for about £80.

I understand that it won't work with the midge net, but would it be a substantial advantage in the winter over my current system? I've yet to have a really satisfactory night out under 0C with my current kit.

I don't have spare cash to spend, so, dear friends, what advice can you offer? Is a cocoon the way ahead to extend my hammock nights into the winter or is there another way? (I DO backpack so I'd prefer to avoid an even bigger pack.)

All the best.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I used to lust over buying a Peapod / Snugpak cocoon, or making my own but I wouldn't go down that route now having used an underquilt.

What sleeping bag would you intend on using? and can you use a sewing machine?

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi,

Thanks for replying, Tartanferret.

I use either a down or synthetic bag, depending on the weather conditions.

Below freezing I've found "cold bits" develop, so I was wondering if being enclosed might remove that problem.

I am hoping to get my hands on a manual Singer soon, but I will then have to learn how to use it.

All the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE