Edinburgh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hey chaps. The missus and I are visiting Edinburgh next month and wondered if any of you have any recommendations of what to visit, see, do there. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
The castle is an interesting visit. So is mary kings close (edinburgh hidden underground city. Depending if your taking kids, Edinburgh zoo is worth a visit.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Hey chaps. The missus and I are visiting Edinburgh next month and wondered if any of you have any recommendations of what to visit, see, do there. Thanks in advance...."

Depends on what your looking for I suppose.

Edinburgh can be wet and windy in February (or any other month come to that) so bring some woollies and a coat.

Greyfriars Kirk churchyard has a fair bit of history to see if you like that kind of thing.

You could also wander along the water of leith walkway and see a bit of nature in the city, I saw a Heron there the last time I was there. If that appeals and you are not vegetarian then begin at Roseburn and time your arrival in Stockbridge for lunchtime and pop into the Buffalo Grill for lunch.

:)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Whisky centre at the top of e royal mile...
Water of leith walkway is very good, a long walk if you want it...
arthurs seat, a hill in the centre of the town and salisbury crags..
Leith army stores, part way down leith walk..
the Bow Bar, great range of whisky and beer..
theres a lot of history stuff, lot of eating and drinking places, really depends what you are interested in

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Thanks chaps. That all sounds up our street. Will be there for four days. Flights and hotel prices are really good at the moment for some reason.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
+1 for Mary King's Close.

The Ghost Walks and vaults tours are also fun especially of there's any fearties in the group (when the lights go out...duck)

Some really good shopping and one of the streets leading away from the Royal Mile has loads of great charity shops that often have a few bargains hidden away.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
If you want a good view of the city and its a clear day and you want to get the old heart pumping a climb to the top of the Walter Scott monument is bit of fun.Also agree with greyfriars kirk and the Castle.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Leith army stores, part way down leith walk..."

It has been a while since I was there but they were the last real Army Navy stores for a long time, a good range of kit and a very distinctive 'smell' that I always enjoyed. :)

"...Museums are free as is the fort..."

A good point that, if the weather is inclement then the Chamber Street museum would keep you busy for a day. The Museum of Childhood is worth a look too.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I honeymooned there a couple years ago. Definitely the Whisky Experience, if thats your thing. And, if you get the opportunity, stroll down the Princes Street Garden. Gorgeous area!

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Edinburgh really has a lot to see but a good way to get your bearings around the city centre is to hop on one of the tour buses and just jump off when you see something you fancy.
South Queensferry is a good place to visit with great views of the bridge back in town the ocean terminal is ok in the wet for a bit of shopping some food and Britannia.
I might be a bit biased but it is a great city and I'm sure you will enjoy your visit

Craig. ....

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Really looking forward to it now. Easy to see that we'll be spoilt for choice after the good info posted above. Thanks chaps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE