Frost River backpacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
So there seems to be a lot of "reviews" about the beauty, build quality/materials used with these backpacks. However, what is the comfort like, what are they like to carry on a long trek fully loaded/half loaded? any long term use reviews?

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
fair do's, what would you say they are built for? Perhaps I can ask owners how far/long they walk with their packs and what sort of weight they carry and how they find them in terms of comfort. I notice Frost sell baskets to add structure to the pack, Anyone had any experience with them?

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Very pretty and incredibly expensive instruments of torture. no frame, no transfer weight to the hips. Mr Bergans, and probably others, over 100 years ago developed frames to transfer loads from the shoulders to the hips. If you are going to carry any weight for any distance, you need a framed system. Replicas of Bergans are available, sometimes in cotton canvas. I have a British army P42 , which was standard issue from 1942 to the late seventies. A problem with it is that, being canvas, it about doubles its weight on a rainy day. Modern, synthetic materials do not absorb as much, and are usually lighter. They usually have much better hip belts as well. I use the P42 when the camp site is a couple of hundred yards from the car park, along with the Primus stove and skillet. They get very nice compliments.But if I have any distance and more than 20 lbs to carry, I use a modern, lightweight pack with a decent weight transfer system.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
If you're talking a multiday hike then I'd say no, the packs are too heavy (even empty) for something like that and as mentioned before weight distribution isn't the best. I do regularly use my Nessmuk and Timber Cruiser juniors on day hikes (5 to 7 miles) and they work fine for me. They are never too heavily loaded though. I mainly use them in the canoe. Never tried a basket with them, don't really see the point, I get enough structure with either a foam sitting pad stuffed inside the pack between the load and my back.

HTH

Alan

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, I guess a basket'd be great if you were trapping beaver, planning on doing much of that??? No? Me neither...

Ive grown quite fond of my old fashioned alice pack. I'll have to post a photo its been modded and got loads of extra pockets, and magazines, and molle lumbar pad, spades and shelves and allsorts.... :)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've never been able to afford Frost River or Duluth but they look great. As a result I made myself several canvas and leather packs - a small edc for taking my sarnies etc to work; a 25ish litre pack for my working days and/or bimbles in the woods; and a 45litre overnighter pack. Sold the overnighter because I wasn't getting much use out of it but still use the others regularly. BUT - whenever I do a multiday trek I leave them at home and use a modern ultralight pack. The canvas and leather traditional stuff looks cool but weighs a lot and those extra lbs tell after a few days.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
They look real cool in a nicely taken photograph but remember to apply a Photoshop sepia tint for full impact.

K

Lol, like this?

da2161b1-da27-4e6f-91b7-78a04eaf505b_zps4dxh6nv3.jpg

or this?

e0ffaeec-3bb6-457f-9576-91bf8e1b7bf3_zpssoz10oik.jpg

What they lose on practicality they make up for in soul. Wooden handled knives, why bother, get some indestructible plastic in there!

A good modern LW backpack could set you back a couple of hundred quid, about the same as a waxed canvas from FR so the right answer really depends on your criteria/budget/purpose, you pay your money and take your choice.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A good modern LW backpack could set you back a couple of hundred quid, about the same as a waxed canvas from FR so the right answer really depends on your criteria/budget/purpose, you pay your money and take your choice.

You say that, but I paid £124.99 for my lightweight pack (1.1kg Exped Lightning 60), which is fantastic at load transfer and really comfortable to carry.

For similar money you can get an Osprey Exos 58 which is also very light.

J

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I was generalizing, the most I spent on any of the packs in the pic was 120 quid from one of the mods on here. They are maybe about 150/160 new.

Cheers,

Alan

Being frameless and yokeless, these packs are as comfortable as you pack them.

I have a modified FR Nessmuk and a second hand Duluth Bushcrafter and both are the most comfortable packs of their class that I own. The larger bushcrafter always has my sleepmat rolled vertically to provide internal structure and padding (it also provides a sleeve for a hydration bladder). In both cases, packing soft against the back means that the pack will conform to the shape of your back and shoulders. Another major plus for me is that the canvas, against usually ventile or wool, means that I never get a sweaty back! (I have an intolerance to most synthetic materials for this reason).

The minus points, as has been already mentioned, concern weight. If you're planning to scamper up mountains for days on end, then even I would go for the more technological options.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
These days I cannot walk too far so my FR packs do not get any distance carries - but in my more agile use I often carried soft canvas packs (OB1 and OB2) LONG distances.
Comfort came from good packing:)
For shorter walks - around 5 miles) the FR packs are fine if you pack them well. A closed cell "Sit-mat" against the back gives structure and padding to any "soft" daypack such as the "Geologists pack".

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
It all depends what your doing, if you're going for a bimble in the woods and a brew great- an overnighter or two at your permission, a canoe camp on a Scottish loch- great durable, I find mine very comfortable. However they'd be no good trying to go on a three peaks challenge or a multi pitch climbing trip. Really they're good for what they're designed for - bushcraft and camping in the woods where there isn't a lot of walking or ascents involved. They'd be no good for mountaineering and climbing etc- but there not designed for that so its not surprising really. Good packs and I'd buy one again if mine got lost- but you've got to decide what you'll be doing with it. I'm well known for my love of canvas, wool and leather gear etc but that's what I wear when I'm bush crafting like I was saying before. Living in the lakes I'm a huge fan of scrambling, climbing etc so I have completely different gear for that type of thing- in short suit the pack to the activity and you'll be fine. Hope this helps :)

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
Thanks for all your feedback folks. There has been some good food for thought. A backpacks ability to carry in comfort will always be a priority over most other aspects for me, even short distances. I think I will stick with the green denier type for now. Although I look forward to having a play will a Frost River in the flesh at some point.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've had a few canvas packs but they were mostly canoe packs for carrying a few yards back and forth, I certainly wouldn't want to carry one any distance.

I'll take a modern pack anatomically designed, padded and distributing the weight better any day over a 150yr old system, it's called progress :)

Nice for the nostalgia thing but not comfortable imho

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE