Which Lowa Boots ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
So my old original pair of Brasher superlites are just about worn out and ready for retirement so need a new pair and fancy a change as I've heard the newer Brashers may not be so well made, and also thinking I could do with a more supportive boot anyway.

I do mainly lowland track and road walking, but also some cross country rougher stuff, and may be doing some backpacking on the Scottish islands next year which may be pretty rough and rocky.

I unfortunately have flat feet and occasionally have plantar fascilitis flare up in one or both heels which is a painful nuisance when it happens !

Been using a pair of Lowa Renegade Lo shoes for lighter more casual walking for a while and know they fit well and are comfortable and well made, so was thinking of just adding a pair of the equivalent Renegade Mid boots to give some ankle support for more serious use, but unsure whether I should go instead for the Lowa Tibet boots which are a heavier and more serious boot and whether my flat feet and sore heels might benefit from the extra stability that I think (?) the Tibets may have ?

Is there any downside to going for the Tibet boot for the lighter walking other than weight or cost ?

Thoughts/advice welcome ? :)

Cheers, Paul

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've used the mid length Lowa renegade for about 6 months now, excellent lightweight boots and needed no breaking in.

The older Supercamps with the full leather lining were great too, still use my pair almost daily, although the white leather has turned nearly black.

Tonyuk

EDIT;

Up to £130 now but they had loads of sizes on the shelf so might still be worth a trip just to try them on.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/renegade-mens-waterproof-walking-boots-id_8127214.html

Last edited:

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
A major vote for Renegades here....bought a pair early April and battered them for a month preparing for an 18 mile walk...they've had constant wear through the summer. Light, comfortable and while scuffed show no signs of stress despite an unusually intense use in such a short time span. Hugely impressed, and I've had Brashers, Zamberlan, le Chameau etc...

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Did a week on the GR5 this summer in a brand new pair of Lowa Renegades - no problems. Since then I've walked in Snowdonia and the Lakes in them and they still are really comfortable. (I did put some Superfeet insoles into them.) great boots.

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
You could also go for the Lowa Mountain Boot - which is one of the two models the German Army Mountain Divisions use (the other one is the Haix Mountain Boot).
Here it is:
3064307.gif

Link: http://www.baaron-son.co.uk/lowa-work-boots.html

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Thanks for the input guys.

I think my concern boils down to whether there is any disadvantage to using a stiffer, heavier more "upland" type boot like the Tibet for mainly (but not only) lowland track and rough walking ?

Or will a relatively large guy (around 17 stone and 6'2") with dodgy feet benefit from the extra support of the stiffer boots, or come to regret them instead ?

Much as I like my Renegade Lo's and am tempted to go for the Renegade Mid boot version, my instinct is to go for the stiffer Tibets for extra stability for my dodgy feet, but it's a lot of money to find out I've made a fundamental mistake ! :)

Cheers, Paul

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Sooo, decision made and a pair of Renegades ordered.

I called a decent retail store that stocks them and their thoughts were that with my foot problems a slightly softer and more flexible sole like on the Renegades may prove more comfortable and shock absorbing than a harder, stiffer sole like on the Tibet.

Should be here next week and I can try them out ! :)

Cheers, Paul

honisoitquimalypense

Sep 14, 2015
oxford
m*. i use tibets. had them a year now. used all over the place. i bought them for a three season long use walking/hiking boot that are stiff enough to take a walking crampon. no real issues. slow to dry out when wet in camp more than other leather boots. very very good on sree and scrambling rock with solid traction particularly when traversing scree. i used a very foamy soft inner particularly in winter for greater insulation with the usual 2 pairs of socks. one thick and 1 thin. they took about 50 hrs to wear in like many of the older leather boots so walk bloody everywhere in them. sod the embarrassment in tesco but remove any crampons. i hate gaiters but def recommend something over them in wet/snow/dartmoor use as the space around tongue at top quite open it seems and water gets in. used down to about 8 below without any probs with as said 2 pairs socks and yetis. will they still perform in two yrs remains to be seen. good luck

Sep 3, 2015
New Forest
If you get any boots with a thinsulate or goretex lining they will wear out fairly quickly. If you buy a boot with a leather lining they will last longer and water resistance need not be compromised. My Lowas are now more than 10 years old and still going strong

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
reason they wear out is most people never clean them.

True enough, anything with bits of grit sand or soil in it wears out very quickly, its why you should keep things clean, even if they do not need washing and youve only had them on an hour. The grit is an abrasive and wears the material. Goretex is only powered by a very thin layer, and the whole material is barely thicker than a razors edge! Gators are intended for this very purpous!

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
My Brashers have taken about ten years to wear out, and that's the soles wearing down and the front rand starting to part company, rather than the goretex lining, so that's not too bad, although probably down to not doing heavy distances in them that often I guess.

Cheers, Paul

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Had the Supercamps too. Think they are worth a look if you go for Lowas. Generally not a friend of Lowas. Water breaks in through the Supercamps bootlace hooks, an extra leather strap on the inner side of the boot, sewn on the row of the hooks will fix this and boost the boot …
Wearing double stitched all leather boots now, I would not go back to the 'glued on' type.

farfoodle

Forager
May 2, 2013
Oxfordshire
Another vote for the leather lined Lowas. Been using mine for various duties, including hillwalking, and they've proved excellent and very comfortable. The do seem to scuff up a bit when going over shale and such, but they're still holding up well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE