Your picture of the day...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
These were taken yesterday morning on a cold and frosty morning after a wet and wild day with snow in the air and on the hills at last. With some big patches of ice on the road.

The sun was being lazy so it does not appear.

1 reflections

Buttermere reflections by Alf Branch, on Flickr

2 A panoramic reflection with the sun still behind fleetwith pike

Buttermere reflections pano_ by Alf Branch, on Flickr

3 A later panorama

Buttermere reflections pano 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

4 A frozen serpent on the beach

Frozen Buttermere serpent by Alf Branch, on Flickr

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
That really is beautifil mate... I love British scenery. I am also a big fan of your reforestation (native pine) and wildcat conservation projects!
Here are some pics from my recent trip to lost village "Jestřábí" (loosely translated as "Hawk village"), which has been eaten up by the forest. Have a look what can be done in just 70 years:

old church:
Libava%20kostel%20Jestrabi2_zpsfyojnqlj.jpg

Libava%20kostel%20Jestrabi_zpsgkdyf4uk.jpg

old water mill:
Libava%20Dolsky%20mlyn2_zpsn2kauhcn.jpg

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Lovely colours and composition but I wonder if I'm alone in finding the slow shutter speed treatment of water to be a little overused in landscape photography?

K

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Lovely colours and composition but I wonder if I'm alone in finding the slow shutter speed treatment of water to be a little overused in landscape photography?

K
If the sea was like fog becsuse I used a 30 second exposure with a ten stop filter I would agree with but all used was graduated filter to balance the exposure I disagree.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I was up in your area early part of the week Alf... Although I am sure the locals appreciated the calmness of the weather on Sunday and Monday the photographer in me was disappointed...

zxtjt1.jpg

juu64n.jpg

And an image in B&W over the town from the RBL club car park

15rcvaq.jpg

Maybe next time it will all be a bit better for more trips out :)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Hi Alf is that the beach under Haig?

I think it is closer to Parton... You can just see the harbour lighthouse of Whitehaven on the left side in some of the shots... Which means Alf was facing South when he took the pics :)

This is Parton beach I used to play on Saltom beach the below haig pit all the time as a kid I also used to play at the pit when it was working

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I was up in your area early part of the week Alf... Although I am sure the locals appreciated the calmness of the weather on Sunday and Monday the photographer in me was disappointed...

zxtjt1.jpg

juu64n.jpg

And an image in B&W over the town from the RBL club car park

15rcvaq.jpg

Maybe next time it will all be a bit better for more trips out :)

The sea is much more interesting when it is more active than that I agree. Not a bad set though.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
The sea is much more interesting when it is more active than that I agree. Not a bad set though.

Thanks Alf, I will be up again later in the year, hopefully it will all have dried out a little by then so will be able to get out and about a bit better.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
You eventually got to see it then Harvestman :) I’ve stood by that that tree many times, it’s a very fine specimen. The whole area around there is very nice with some lovely walks, The Woolhope Dome, Haugh Wood and Cherry Hill Woods are all very familiar to me, there’s a nice viewpoint at Capler Camp over the Wye at Brockhampton (though the view is a little shrouded by trees). If you like a bit of local history Fownhope (just up the road from that yew tree) is the birthplace of Tom Spring (real name Tom Winter born 1795), there is a memorial stone to him by Rudge End farm on the road between Fownhope and Woolhope, he was heavyweight champion boxer between 1821-1824 (so it may not be your thing), boxing matches used to take place by the old bridge at Mordiford in those days. Another nice place to visit is Hellens Manor in Much Marcle which is only about 500 metres north east of that yew tree, it’s an interesting place to visit, it has a very old cider mill which is still used today every autumn to make cider and perry for the Big Apple Weekend (perhaps you already know about Hellens Manor). On the subject of cider, there used to be an old fellow (now dead) that lived not far from Much Marcle by Capler Wood who made cider every year but he was teetotal and never drunk a drop himself, he just sold it to other folks. I am familiar with Westons cider but haven’t been there for a while, they used to offer free taste tests of their cider. As a kid I used to camp on what is now Lucks All caravan site near Holme Lacey, back then it was just a field for grazing cows which you shared the field with and owned by a coal merchant called Mr. Powell, now it is a very posh caravan site. Sorry to ramble on.

The Tom Spring (real name Tom Winter, 1795-1851) engraved memorial stone by Fownhope.
3068586_39fa8be4.jpg
Tom Spring, AKA Thomas Winter, All England Heavy weight Champion Bare knuckle fighter, some of his fights were many hours long and they kept going until one didn't get up his fight in Worcester went to 77 rounds... He also kept the Booth Hall Hotel in Hereford for a number of years before moving South towards London he is buried in West Norwood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE