Staight outta the PNW Survival Strikers!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hemlock-

Jan 30, 2014
Vancouver, Washington USA
See the previous thread here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135237

I posted a combo kit awhile back, and have decided to list most of the full line up here, and just allow you to pick what items you'd like. I can also sell the metals alone. So if you wanted the metals to go ultra light, or handle your own, I can sell that too. Usually the metals cost $4 less than the handled version. I wont be selling any of my antler models internationally! Sorry, customs doesn't like that.

All prices are in US dollars! I was doing the conversion, but Paypal fees were not friendly to me. All specs are in standard, if I get bored sometime I'll switch them to metrics. lol

Shipping is $14. Contact me about how I fill out customs papers to go as smoothly and reasonable as possible.

I'll try to cut the costs of my products as low as possible to help offset shipping. Many of you have probably seen my products, and know their absolute stellar reviews. We get NO bad reviews! The product really is that good! These are hands down the best fire starters made, and a must have piece of kit. Nothing else comes close, and my reviews speak to that.

These are made from the absolute highest quality materials. We use European hard style ferro rods, American magnesium, American hardened steel scrapers, and African Padauk wood. Even the Epoxy is American made. We don't use ANY sub-par Chinese materials. A fact we take a lot of pride in.

Our tools are designed and made here in the Pacific North West. They were made for our wet remote temperate rain forests. There's no gimmicks or false advertising. Just robust tools meant to work in harsh environments for many years.

*Only high quality US or European metals used.

*Hard LMF style European made ferrocerium.

*Pure soft high quality magnesium burns wet

*Handled models feature exotic hardwood African Padauk. Handles are large for cold or arthritic hands, and scrape easy for dry tinder.

*Hardened Steel scraper that can be resharpened

Large $25

LARGE/"THE BEAST" Has a 5/8" Mag and 3/8" Ferro
3.2 Oz

e3GsNpH.jpg

Nylon Belt pouch for the Large made in the US Add $6

WZjIoTj.jpg

Medium $18

Medium 1/4" ferro, 1/2" Magnesium
1.8 oz

WaEbx03.jpg

Small $13

Small Has a 3/8" Mag, and 3/16" Ferro
1.5 oz

NbqNZgh.jpg

Keychain $5

Key chain 1/8" flint 1/4" mag
.4 oz with striker and chain

o1oAmO5.jpg

Hemlock-

Jan 30, 2014
A few Christmas specials. A great way to pick up some as gifts!! They make awesome stocking stuffers!!! All prices are US dollars, and include international shipping. All will come shipped with packages, instruction cards, leather lanyards, and our awesome hardened steel scrapers! This is guaranteed the cheapest you'll see them, short of getting them in person!(If any of you are in the Portland,Or/Vancouver, Wa area, I'd love to do a meet and greet!)

4 smalls $55 Shipped!!

qmXeMZv.jpg

4 Mediums $75 Shipped!!

TSOTV5v.jpg

4 large $100 Shipped!!

Xe9oObv.jpg

Last edited:

Hemlock-

Jan 30, 2014
A couple tips on use.

I've wanted to make a video for sometime showing a few tips. For the life of me I can't find my video camera. So I figured I'd at least take a couple pics, and do a little write up to help you maximize your "Survival Striker" tool.

We always build fires on a platform of sorts. It gives you a solid working surface, and it makes a barrier between the moist and heat sapping ground. A piece of bark or wood is preferred, but a rock can be used in a pinch. (No river rocks! They can explode!) Have your platform ready. Have your fire building materials ready. What you think you'll need, times two. Prep is the most important thing to getting a fire going. The more you NEED a fire, the better off you are having spent the extra bit of time doing it right.

You have to remember these are European ferro rods! These aren't soft china rods. They're used differently. Think of this more as a sniper rifle, then a bullet hose. With these you strike slow, and in control. There are no jerky or quick motions.

You want the rod right in your tinder. It should be touching what you're trying to light. That's where you're going to put the heat. Hold the tool vertically! You want to be right on top of it. You'll strike down, in a firm steady motion, and come ALL THE WAY OFF the end. It's really the last 1/4" that's doing the lighting. You also want to be sure you're coming all the way off the end so you don't wear a stop into the ferro, but more on that later. By striking a bit slower, and going all the way off, you'll notice you're focusing heat, and not kicking the tinder about.

This picture shows what the lighting position looks like.

NHWoFCV.jpg

Now I'm quite sure this will ruffle a few feathers. But I'm not fond of using a knife on the tools. I think it wears the tool unnecessarily, and I don't find it as effective. Use your knife, awl, whatever in a pinch, but there's really no reason it should be used as the main striker. We've put an awful lot of effort into producing a very high quality, easily resharpened hardend steel scraper made just for this task. USE IT!

When using a knife, your hand is going to prevent you from coming off the end very effectively. Here you can see the fist has bottomed out, the knife is about as far down on the rod as it can reasonably be.

xuCixdY.jpg

Now compare that with the scraper tool. Right to the bottom of that rod.

F8rzor5.jpg

If we're holding our tool vertically, and the tool is on the 90/270 line, then the approximate angle you'll be holding the tool is 210 degrees. You'll have to play with this a little, but you'll find that "sweet" spot.

6iPIY4T.jpg

It will be about the same angle and pressure to spark the flint, scrape the mag, and scrape the wood.

JfPwMu8.jpg

In this pic you'll notice that lovely 99.9% pure magnesium we use. With a sharp scraper, the right angle and pressure, this mag will come off in curls and flakes, not powder. This allows you to get a reasonable amount of mag rather quickly.

XYAjDI0.jpg

Same thing with the wood. You'll find there's that "sweet spot" again, and you'll be able to scrape good size piles quickly. Also, this is African Padauk wood. It's very dense wood. It's about twice as hard as maple, so don't be afraid to scrape your handle. The wood isn't a "just in case" feature. It's there to be used! It wears like iron, and you'll be able to scrape countless times on it. Again the key word is SCRAPE, as in with your scraper tool. Not carve with your knife.

c3ddPQA.jpg

Now here we can see what has happened to a tool that the scraper has repeatedly stopped short. See the little ledges and stops that have been created? Those will now block the scraper from ever going off the end. This can happen to all three components. Remember how I said it was the last little bit of the rod that does the lighting? You can also wear the flint to have these stops. Again, this will often happen with knife use. If any component develops these stops, use a file to smooth them out.

GpKaxfw.jpg

Last edited:

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I brought the combo kit a few weeks ago and just wow! High quality, works extremely well, and seems pretty bomb proof! The big one really is big!

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
One large one in a pouch please, and possibly more (tbc). I'm up in Scotland at the moment so will sort paypal asap, signal is not great. Please PM your requirements.
Thanks, Phil.

Pitkin

Life Member
Jul 26, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Yayyy,,!! Mine arrived today,,,,I think customs sat on them for a couple of weeks but there was nothing to pay so that's a result. Bought the combi set, seriously chunky and they throw great sparks, I would think because of the size they are much easier to use with cold hands than a small steel,, in fact you would have no problem wearing thick gloves whilst using these. Another great quality piece of kit looking forward to the weekend to try them out.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Guys, Hemlock made an error and shipped me two packs by accident. Whilst he offered me to keep the extra set I'd be happier selling them and paypal'ing him the money back. It's a pack of all three sizes s,m,l and the little key ring set. Hemlock had them up for £45 so we'll leave it there. Any takers? I can get them out at the end of the week.

by the way the only reason I'm not taking him up on his offer of keeping them is I'll never wear out the set I bought originally. Great kit.

Last edited:

Hemlock-

Jan 30, 2014
Guys, Hemlock made an error and shipped me two packs by accident. Whilst he offered me to keep the extra set I'd be happier selling them and paypal'ing him the money back. It's a pack of all three sizes s,m,l and the little key ring set. Hemlock had them up for £45 so we'll leave it there. Any takers? I can get them out at the end of the week.

by the way the only reason I'm not taking him up on his offer of keeping them is I'll never wear out the set I bought originally. Great kit.

Well that's awfully nice of you!

Running out of time to get them before Christmas!

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees

If they're still available I'll take them please, pm your details.

Thanks

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
My order arrived today, unmollested by HMRC.
Lovely quality, and very effective. I just lit a small scraping on a wet slate outside. The sheath/pouch is very high quality, I wish I'd ordered more!
Bottom line? Buy with confidence.

farfoodle

Forager
May 2, 2013
Oxfordshire
My set just arrived too. The largest one is massive. My son will be getting one of them in his stocking at Christmas. Worked really well in my garden test. Can't wait to try it out in the wild. Great stuff!!

Hemlock-

Jan 30, 2014
According to USPS tomorrow(24 hours from this post) will be the last day to get it there by the 24th using first class shipping. So if you want it by Christmas and don't want to pay a huge shipping, better get your order in NOW!

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
I received mine today Mr. Hemlock.

Thanks for the fast efficient service.

Initial impression - 'Substantial'

These make traditional ferro-rods look like toys !

Pyromaniac Paradise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE