Tree bast projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NicfromBristol

Apr 24, 2013
Bristol
Hello all! :
I'm just starting a project on tree basts.
If you have any info or photos you'd like to share please comment/message me.
I'm particularly interested in the range of species people have used, any differences found in bast properties and the range of products made. But really, any info greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Nicola
:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've used the fibres from willow, lime and mulberry.

They all stink if you rett them out, but you can cheat a bit (well, bushcrafty cheating) and use a high ph/chelating stuff or one of the pectin dissolvers.

Having retted them out though the fibres are superb :D

Willow, if you get the season right, just as sap is rising before the buds break the skins, then it slips off :D
It still needs the outer layer removed, but you can often do that with a potato peeler (yeah I know, really bushcrafty tool that :)
before you strip the bark.

Willow last long wet. It really does. There's a coil of it still attached to a bronze age log boat lying off the Danish shore, and it's still unmistakeably willow bast cordage.

Lime is superb. It comes off like thin, thin, sheets of lasagne as it retts, and it twists and cords up beautifully. It's the strongest of the natural fibre ropes from the UK.

Mulberry I was given, it doesn't grow here, but it works very tidily indeed. No idea how strong it is comparatively though.

Loads of cordage makers on the forum, bound to get loads of replies. PatrickM's work is absolutely superb :D

Why only trees though ? and need it just be bast fibres ?

atb,
M

NicfromBristol

Apr 24, 2013
Bristol
I'm trying to research the potential for tree bast clothing in Palaeolithic/mesolithic.
Although there's very little archaeologically, there is some indication that tree basts may have been used. Most likely for cloaks/ hats but I'm wandering whether tree basts can be be made soft enough for finer cloth. Apparently, the Ainu in Japan used elm bast for clothing http://www.ainu-museum.or.jp/en/study/eng07.html.
I'd love to hear if you or anyone has made any fine fibres/woven and how they turned out.
Thank you!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
For the life of me I can't remember where I read it but I read an interesting article on ancient tree bast clothing in Africa a few years back. I know they still produce it as I came across this video a little while ago...

[video=youtube;qY9SmGs-TTo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY9SmGs-TTo[/video]

Good luck with your studies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks amazing Colin :D I'd love to see that, and handle it, work out how it flexes/sews/wears :)

Lime bast (and Elm, I've used it but didn't do the whole process from start to finish) both peel down as fine as threads if wanted.
I was taught to spin by elderly ladies who believed that hand spun was the gold standard, and machine was a good attempt at imitation :) Their spinning was incredibly fine, and fine spinning is my default setting, either on a drop spindle, a thigh/hand rolled distaff, or wheel. I can spin well processed lime bast as fine as singles yarn, that's one ply wool. It needs to be spun damp, but not fresh retted damp, but dried out after it's been retted and then redampened. Otherwise it slackens as it dries and the splices lose their twist. I think it could be woven up into something very fine, with a lot of work, but more likely something like hessian.

I don't think I'd try it with willow, though I can make very fine willow string. Elm was widely used elsewhere…..I was making rope from it, so was aiming for even rather than fine for weaving yarn.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, Anne Reichert's work is beautiful :D
Very inspirational, and very sound too :approve:

Not loom worked, and mind a loom is at it's simplest just some kind of framework to keep the warps in line and evenly tensioned. (Look up Navajo looms for instance. In the archaeological record all they'd show would be a couple of post holes and a bundles of sticks, most wouldn't even recognise them for what they were) Using that kind of frame then cloth is very possible from the lime bast. It's not rough, it's not scratchy, the bast itself is almost silky. I meant hessian weight and flexibility rather than the handle of the material.

I agree with Anne though and that outer garments from it are very likely.

atb,
M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In the Pacific Northwest, native cultures make waterproof hats from shredded western red cedar bark.
There may be floor mats and waterproof capes but I can't remember any more.
Fine spruce roots are used to sew the last corner together in a watertight kerf bent box.

Google Haida+hat to see contemporary examples
Google UNB/MOA, select the online colloection, select 'hat' (under 'H' in the index) to see collected examples.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The living layer of the tree trunk is between the bark and the wood. Almost alternately, that living layer produces skinny cells
to each side, some maturing inside as wood, some to the outside as bark. Bark has many kids of cells in it = some are short, punky and brick like in shape.
Others form as very long ropey bundles with very thick cell walls, hence "fiberous."

If you can get those ropey fibers = bast out, their length and composition give them both strength and flexibility for many application in the fiber arts.
Some tree species have fiber of more useful qualities than others.

Flax fiber makes wonderful woven cloth materials = linnen.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See if you're pruning any lime, and you have somewhere to leave the bark soaking, somewhere that it won't be a problem when it starts to smell a bit, give it a shot :)
As the pectin type stuff between the layers breaks down, they seperate out like thin, thin, lasagne. Clean looking, but slippy and stinking. Wash them off, hang them up to dry, and then peel them down into fine fibrous strips. It makes absolutely brilliant cordage :D

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I need a Haida waterproof cedar bark hat. Haida did make rain capes. Theoretically, this is winter. We were getting maybe 12" snow per week, huge amounts up top (above 2,000').
Five days of peesing rain, 35F and big wind and there's almost nothing left in the village.

No worries, baggins, not knowing what you do. I'm a retired botany/dendrology professor, still spouting off.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Western Red Cedar outer bark exfoliates in long narrow strips which are easily split again and again for weaving.
The harvest in no way damages the tree. Even less so when you`re in a forest of untold numbers.
It`s cold today, sundown was just after 2PM but we could drive out and get lots about 15 minutes from my house.

WRC is a multipurpose tree = every part of it has numerous uses.

The very best reference is a well documented and illustrated work called Cedar. by Hillary Stewart. Douglas & McIntyre 1984 reprints to 2013.
ISBN: 978-1-55054-406-0 (pbk) Just a glance at the mats, the cordage and the basket weavings on the cover is amazing work.
The cover price was $29.95 but I think it can be had online for less.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE