First aid courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Hi all
I'm looking for an above course but with the added extra of wilderness medic thrown in.i do have previous certs from my diving days but would like something that would cover the ourdoors.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi Stu.

I run wilderness based first aid courses throughout the year. I have run several courses for BCUK

you can find a review here

For my current courses you can book here

if you have a few mates I would be happy to run a bespoke course just for you.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I did my First Aid at Work with my Advance Wilderness First Aid through Richard Cook at Wilderness First Response Ltd, who ran the 4 day course at Bushmoot last year.

We have been talking about the possibility of doing the Wilderness First Responder course.

Thoroughly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 1, 2015
cornwall
Hi,
I have taken various first aid courses over my life, from water based life guarding, to simple first aid at work, to trauma based with the fire service and was wondering what the key differences are, the priority now with s.w.a.s. is to get you to A & E asap, so if your on your own or far from help, are these bush 1st aid courses leaning to that type of scenario or have i got this wrong gents..?

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Canoeing,bushcraft,camping.not sure of evac procedures.i expect itll be over an hour before that happens.I'd like to have these skills at home as i feel a basic first aid certificate isnt sufficient for our purpose.

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
IMO if you are more than an hour away from definitive care the patient is either OK or dead. They will generally be a self selecting population (I know there will be exceptions). The important thing is to do the basics and do them well.

The only exception is if you are trained in more advanced stuff and equipped as such, but then it is a question of where do you draw the line? Traction splints? IV fluids (which ones). How will you control a massive bleed (TQ's are excruciating after 2 hours, so will you have an anaesthetic?)? etc.

The above isn't saying don't do the courses (or suggestions), because everyone should have more skills, but be aware of the limitations thrust upon you.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
First aid courses are great but keep in practice. Understand that if you are hurt the remedy may be harsh eg... being stitched with no freezing, leg being immobilized and splints applied again no freezing. mindset is important.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
In the UK the most you will need is a first person on scene qual (FPOS-I).
That will give you a internationally recognised certificate and the right amount of training you will need to get by until help arrives.
If you thinking of more advance quals or if your going somewhere abroad where help isnt less than an hour away do the Medicine in remote areas coures (mira)
The MIRA course is advanced first aid and covers inserting I.V. canulas for giving fluids and should also cover giving of life saving drugs as well as other advanced life saving techniques.

But in the real world unless you going on an expedition as the group medic you wont be carrying much more than a basic first aid kit anyway, so stick with the FPOS-I course.

Im currently saving up to to the MIRA course as i want to become a group/expedition medic as a career path, and even get into more advanced life saving courses.

bowji john

Silver Trader
Agree with Rebeldog

There is an alternative to FPOS - Have a look at Level 3 and level 4 Certificates in First Response Emergency Care (FREC) - certificated by Qualsafe

A company local to me (nothing to do with me) in Cornwall runs level 3 & 4 courses designed specifically for exped and bushcraft / forestry settings - the lecturers are tutors working for the ambulance service and work on the air ambulance

We learned a whole range of skills from snake bite treatment, suturing, firearms injuries to cutting into (& extraction from) a vehicle in a simulated RTA - strangely one of the more common medical emergencies on a remote exped

Unusual for such a course, they are run under exped conditions in the woods over 5 days - I enjoyed them immensely but bloody hard work with a lot of pre and post learning/study

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE