Leather Working

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trail Snail

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2009
Wales
Hi

I want to get into leather working, and don't want to spend a great deal of money at the outset. I have in mind starting with some small projects for things that I will use a lot and move on from there.

The Identity Store sells assorted bags of leather and i would like a bit of advice on which to go for. I intend to make a darts wallet and key wallet to begin with.

Would calfskin be any good for these projects or is it too thin / soft?

They have Latigo remnants, and would these be a better option, or do I need to go straight for veg tanned leather?

Cheers in advance.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
You should be able to get some really nice leather sample books from a furniture supplier. Lots of colours and great to start with as it cost so little (packets of biscuits:))

Worth a try.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
it all depends on what style you're after, whether you want your cases/wallet to be sturdy or supple. It may be worth getting a mix of both types of leather and having a bash to see what you prefer, as both have advantages and disadvantages depending on the project. Ebay can be handy for picking up odd bits to play with, or as Monikieman says see about getting some samples.

Trail Snail

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2009
Wales
Hi both

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to have a look around the sofa peddlars some time, but in the meantime, think I'll order the calfskin to begin with and have a bash. I anticipate that I'll be buying some more leather at some point as this seems like it may be a very agreeable way to get through the winter evenings.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Calf kip isnt cheap and if you want to start out in soft leather, an old sofa is your best bet.

PM me and I will sort out some pieces

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
If I'm right here, the majority of sofas are made from split leather, whilst calf leather is just naturally soft leather.... two different things.

The split leather is given a fakey finish... its not full grain leather... but calf leather is.

I may be talking complete b*((&£"s, but I'm going off what I was told when I was investigating leather to make a potential project I've been looking at.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Split leather is just the bottom double 'suede' part of a thick hide split into top and bottom.

A proper leather sofa would be chrome tan. Some are reconstituted leather.

Sent from my UMI eMAX using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I know about chrome tan, but I'm sure sofa manufacturers use split leather as well as its a cheaper option than full... as I say, could be wrong... going off what I was told by a leather worker.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I know about chrome tan, but I'm sure sofa manufacturers use split leather as well as its a cheaper option than full... as I say, could be wrong... going off what I was told by a leather worker.
If they did they'd have to put a coating on it to achieve a grain or finish. I have some decent upholstery leather and its not manufactured from splits, that's not to say it doesn't happen happen but I think the cheaper ones are more likely to be reconstituted leather. (Offcuts ground up then pressed together with a bonding agent and sealed)

Sent from my UMI eMAX using Tapatalk

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Yeah better get full grain cow shoulders veg tanned full grain leather, tanned in eu
1. 1,5. 2. 2,5 3 or 3,5 mm third choice quality quite ok
Indeed avoid coated leather

Last edited:

Trail Snail

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2009
Wales
Cheers for all of the responses.

Just another quickie: what sort of needles are recommended and where can I source them from?

reedx

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2012
Durham
www.REEDX.net
>> Are cheap sets of pricking irons like these any good, or would they be a waste of money?

Pay a bit more and get some Seiwa diamond ones from Goods Japan (they have an ebay shop). You don't need a full set, just get the 2 and 6 pronged versions of your required size.

Colin

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have Seiwa's in 3, 4 & 5 MM. I use 4mm the most. Also for skiving and some cutting I recently came across the Olfa BTC1, great bit of kit and replaceable blades.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE