Broke my spork...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If I had all the Sporks that I have broken replaced I think LMF would go out of business - but good on them for replacing yours :)
I still would prefer my home made eating kit though!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My thirty two month old granddaughter loved eating with a spork but grew out of it and uses grown up utensils these days ;)

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I know it's not a spork, but I bought a malamine (racing) spoon from tescos on the big roundabout in Camberley 20 years ago and it's still going strong. It's been all over the uk, Bosnia (twice), Kosovo, Oman and Iraq.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have a child spork it doesn't have the serrated knife edge, which is a lot better, so I modified my full size one, but I may modify one further and take the fork off completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Im glad your granddaughters grown up Rik.

Whats wrong with civilised KFS?

Indeed, she'll be a proper little madam in the future lol. She uses ordinary spoons and forks which are a little big for her and you'll sometimes have a problem with a flying sprout or meatball but shes doing rather well :)

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Sporks are the tools of the devil! ----->
evilgrin0012.gif

When you use them, you're doing his deeds. :(

Just don't.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
An update:

I wrote to Light My Fire asking if this was a known issue or just a random occurrence. I got a nice email back asking for my address and preferred colour as they would like to send me a replacement spork.

Today a package arrived in the post from Sweden. In side was a small card, a purple spork... and a blue spork and a spork case. Once again I have a purple spork to eat my lunch with in the woods. Great service from Light My Fire.

J

That's great service but the spork remains an unutterably useless implement. It does nothing well, except break, obviously. A hand carved wooden spoon is a delight to use, is very light and, like a spork, is easily replaced. Why bother with anything else?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
That's great service but the spork remains an unutterably useless implement. It does nothing well, except break, obviously. A hand carved wooden spoon is a delight to use, is very light and, like a spork, is easily replaced. Why bother with anything else?

You say that. I find it works quite well for eating stews and the like.

I would love to use a hand carved spoon, but seeing as my last attempt at carving a spoon resulted in 4 hours in A&E, it's not something I have the ability to produce. So unless someone can make me a hand carved wooden spoon that weighs less than the 10g that my spork does, I'll continue to use it...

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I use a titanium one. I've had it for years and it's still sound.

My housemate has a titanium version of the LMF spork. I've asked him not to use it on my plates after it scratched the glaze on my kitchenware... They appear to be harder than the pottery...

I also have a set of those guyot design two piece ones. Very good, but the wee spatula/blade thing melts if you're not careful stirring the cooking pot :sigh:

Interesting.

My main choice of cutlery in the woods is the alpkit snapwires, I have the full set of Knife, Fork & Spoon. I mostly use my LMF spork to stir the pot, it being plastic it doesn't knacker any coating on my pots. I've had half a dozen LMF sporks, and this was the first one that I've broken (the rest are either still in use, loaned out, or MIA).

I did have a pair of really nice horn spoons that were idea for stews. But they are missing presumed in my flat somewhere...

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I don't use the Ti spork on the china, I use it in my Ti mug to eat from :D

I have a titanium plate for that. I wasn't expecting my housemate to use it on the china either.

I find this thread entertaining in peoples reactions to my choice of cutlery...

J

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I don't mind what folks use, it's what works for them and eating should be about enjoying yourself. Used to see a lot of adventure racers and the likes eating soulless gloop as some sort of punishment to themselves.
Sparks are okay, but I personally like a combo of horn spoons or chopsticks. Tend to be traditional on the crockery too. Wooden bowls & plates and either duly leather standard or glass mason jar that has a handle on it.
Got my pal one of those nice re-enactors pouches that has a two tined fork, spoon and old style knife. Looks nice though think he's replaced the metal spoon with a horn one as it's nicer to eat off of.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire

I would love to use a hand carved spoon, but seeing as my last attempt at carving a spoon resulted in 4 hours in A&E, it's not something I have the ability to produce. So unless someone can make me a hand carved wooden spoon that weighs less than the 10g that my spork does, I'll continue to use it...

J

I do say that. The spork is far too short for eating ITB dehydrated or Wayfarer-type meals from the bag and the dainty Swiss tea room fork-knife combo at the other end has little viable practical use. The trouble with the design is that if they made the handle long enough to reach the bag bottom on such meals, it would probably be too flexible in use and prone to snapping with even greater regularity.

I will happily make you a spoon. I cannot guarantee that it will weigh 10g or less but it won't weigh much more. If you're interested, p.m. me your address and I'll get started.

Richard

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v got a LMF spork, cant remember where it came from but appearently its "left handed" presumably something to do with the knife effort on the fork end
I just think its quite funny having a left handed spoon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

J

Five wooden spoons for a quid in B&M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE