A couple of Cawl Spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was asked to make a couple of Cawl spoons - a traditional style spoon designed for eating Cawl, a Welsh traditional chunky soup ... google it!
In peaty areas the handle was often pointed but as we have no peat, only shale, in this area I gave them the wider handle - the point was to stick the spoon into a turf by the fire between uses.
Traditionally the bowl was deeper than a normal spoon, round to oval in shape and with a lip between bowl and handle. No two Cawl spoons were ever identical.
Woods that were traditionally used were ... what came to hand! Most common is Sycamore for its ease of carving and lack of its own flavour plus its anti-bacterial properties. These two are from a Sycamore we took down in my garden, carved green using saw, axe, Mora knives and spoon-knives by Dave Budd. The finish is sanded but showing the contours of some tool marks and oiled with Flaxseed oil.
commissioned cawl spoons 15 11 15.jpg

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nicely done Mr. Fenna,
Two very lovely spoons, not a hint if "Sporky-ness" about them. Didn't know about the sticking them in the ground bit.
These for personal use or are you making Crimbo prezzies?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A volunteer at one of my favourite Charity shops (Ty Hafan childrens hospice) is buying them as a Chizzlemus prezzie for an old couple who "Downsized" and now regret ditching their old Cawl Spoons... folk around here still like "the old ways" :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beautiful John - really like them a lot. Traditional, well executed and individual. NOT just another spoon!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think the couple will love them Mr. Fenna. The Welsh seem to have various spoons woven into their culture between cawl & love spoons.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE